Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Drove A 350z Today

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2003, 09:34 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The 350Z... Those door handles have got to go!
Old 09-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Jaxon
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Regarding comments on the looks of the car. I thought it looked great. I'd have no problem driving a car that looks like the Z.

Size of the car reminds me of the 951. The saleman didn't want to back it into a tight space, and I mean tight. Pulled her right in as if it were my 951. Could hardly open the door. Unusual for a car you don't know.

Brakes: 951 Brakes much better.

Interior. Really lousy. Cheap looking. Like a Vette. (did I say that?)

I'm sure it's not, but the 951 felt heavier.

All that said, it wouldn't take much to make this into a car I'd really like.
But, the Z lacks personality. I don't know how you would add that.

Jaxon
Old 09-04-2003, 04:15 PM
Water944t
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sold 350Z's for a few months earlier this year. Here are my 'unbiased' opinions on the car. (Wink, wink)

It is stunning in person, a complete knockout to look at, and really sweet in motion, they look wicked on the freeway.

The 3.5L engine is in just about everything Nissan makes. Maxima, Altima, Pathfinder, G35, ect...its just tuned per application. And as such it is a very reliable and proven motor. With no real highs or lows. Makes good power down low, but in the case of the Z, the gearing seems to be wrong. I could get some decent launches, but it never had the whoosh of a 951.

The interior was stolen from a base model Dodge Neon. It is a complete ****box on the inside, more claustrophobic than a Mustang, cheaper to the touch than a Big Wheel. My first testdrive the passenger actually broke the cover off the NAV unit, just trying to open it.

Nismo is kinda supporting the aftermarket, with a few items that are already proven in Japan. But no real HP, maybe 40-50 if you got all the stuff. Plus side is that the Nismo stuff doens't void the warranty.

Negative side that I can see is that the car is basically the next Mitsu Eclipse. Every assclown with a $400 car budget has one, at least around here. It is a decent bang-for-the-buck, but falls well short of our beloved 951. (So much for unbiased, huh?)

350Z
Base - what can I say, you don't get any goodies. At $26k, its ok.
Enthusiast - base plus Traction and LSD
Performance - plus Stability Control (very nice) and 18's
Touring - leather and some luxury ****, back to 17's
Track - Brembo's and alloy 18's $35k for a psuedo track car

Were I to decide to purchase one, I would not go with less than the Performance model. And for the same $30K I could have a fire-breathing monster of a 951, although financing is better on the new car.

But with the 951 you get:

more interior space by far
Better road feel
more power, and easier upgrades
better styling overall (the Z has hints of 951 all over it)
Not everyone has one!
Old 09-04-2003, 07:29 PM
bdellis
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The initial 300zx was based upon the porsche plant vists nissan engineers took in the late 80's.
When Nissan came out in 1990 with their NEW 300zx. the front flared spoilers were a direct influence by yours truely. Also the way the inerior flowed there was much more in common with the older 300z and our cars than this new one. I agree more eclipse like in nature but the plastic and fake chrome is dated and very common with the latest cars.

Quick Reply: Drove A 350z Today