Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil pickup tube replacement questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 11:36 PM
pcleary1210
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pickup tube replacement questions

Q1 - Can I get a turbo blanket and leave off that pain-in-my-butt heatshield?

Q2 - Do I need to bleed the lifters now that they've been without oil pressure? I reallyyyyy don't wanna remove valve-train goodies but I want to do it right...

Q3 - How in the actual hell am I supposed to unbolt the X-pipe from the turbo? 2 top bolts are easy, the studs are welded. Bottom front is more of a pain. Funny angle, but ok maybe I can work with it. Rear bottom bolt is in backward and I have no room to do...well anything. Anyone wanna buy a 951? Some assembly required

Thanks as always, fellas.
-PC
Old 03-18-2015, 12:27 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

For the bottom front bolt on the crossover, remove the j-boot, and the electric water pump along with the right angled water pipe that connects it to the turbo. Usually the bottom rear bolt has the welded nut...if yours doesn't then your best bet might be to get a wrench on the nut from above to counter hold, and try to brace it against something. To get at the bolt from underneath, you just need something with a fine ratcheting mechanism to get the angle just right. If it's a socket wrench it will probably have to be very low profile...I used a ratcheting wrench.

Not sure on the other issues...but I wouldn't run without all the factory heat shields personally (although I did not have to move any of them for this job except the 2 engine mount heat shields on the crossmember, which are easy)

Quick Reply: Oil pickup tube replacement questions