Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil pickup tube seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 04:39 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default oil pickup tube seal

I mentioned this in another thread I had in the general 944 section but it didn't get many comments. I replaced my oil pickup tube and used a new OEM seal. After a while I noticed that a small bead of oil appeared from the seal area. I wiped it away and it came back eventually. The pan was still off the car for another day anyway so I kept an eye on it. After leaving it overnight, there was a small trickle of oil running long the tube, with a few drops pooled in the dish at the end. Since it was the proper brand new seal and tube, and I used the correct torque, I couldn't think of anything else I could do. There was no damage to the tube or to the block.

Does this sound like a real problem? If I can build oil pressure, might I still have to worry that some air is also getting sucked in?

I don't think this pic shows much, but this is the side it's leaking from anyway:

Thanks.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
I mentioned this in another thread I had in the general 944 section but it didn't get many comments. I replaced my oil pickup tube and used a new OEM seal. After a while I noticed that a small bead of oil appeared from the seal area. I wiped it away and it came back eventually. The pan was still off the car for another day anyway so I kept an eye on it. After leaving it overnight, there was a small trickle of oil running long the tube, with a few drops pooled in the dish at the end. Since it was the proper brand new seal and tube, and I used the correct torque, I couldn't think of anything else I could do. There was no damage to the tube or to the block.

Does this sound like a real problem? If I can build oil pressure, might I still have to worry that some air is also getting sucked in?

I don't think this pic shows much, but this is the side it's leaking from anyway:

Thanks.
DOn't see how there should be a problem there.

You'll have some leakage at bearings etc while testing but you could pull the oil pressure sender, use a rubber tip blower to seal there and apply air pressure.

20-30 psi should do.

Spray soapy water at the seal and see if you have leakage.

Probably have to clean your pickup good enough to seal it with masking tape, etc.

T
Old 03-17-2015, 10:54 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Did you use the seal as part of a bottom end kit? If so, are you sure you used the right one? There are two very similar looking seals in the Victor Reinz kit -- one is right and one is wrong!
Old 03-17-2015, 11:03 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...too-loose.html
Old 03-17-2015, 11:11 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys...unfortunately I have already almost finished putting the car back together. I had no choice because I had to get it off the lift....so there's no easy way to pressure test it now.

The seal was not part of a kit - it was ordered directly from Porsche using the part # from the PET. I had 2 others - the original, and another brand new OEM one which I decided not to use because I mistakenly overtightened it once - and they all look identical. It didn't squish out over the edge like the one in that thread.

The amount of oil that came out was very small. I was worried because I know the oil system runs at 4-5 bar, but now that I think about it, this would be the low pressure side, right?. So maybe it's not under that much pressure at all? Anyone know how much?
Old 03-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

That side is under vacuum, not pressure. Cant help you on the leakage. I just replaced mine and din't notice any leaks, but it sure didn't fit quite like I thought it would. I ordered mine separately from Lindsey Racing, so I believe it was the right thing. If it makes you feel any better, mine built 4.5 bar on the starter before I even tried to run it.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:21 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
That side is under vacuum, not pressure. Cant help you on the leakage. I just replaced mine and din't notice any leaks, but it sure didn't fit quite like I thought it would. I ordered mine separately from Lindsey Racing, so I believe it was the right thing. If it makes you feel any better, mine built 4.5 bar on the starter before I even tried to run it.
D'oh...yes vacuum. The best theory I can come up with is that it will not necessarily seal the way it's supposed to until it's under vacuum. Looking at the design of the port with the tube removed, it looks like a vacuum from above will pull the seal up against the ridge and make a tight seal. It is a fairly soft squishy seal, and not an extremely tight fit, so I think that makes sense. When it's first installed with no pressure on either side it is likely to seep a little.

I had 15w50 synthetic oil in there for the winter...is that a bit more likely to leak than the 20 weight stuff? I also had the car up on the lift for quite a while with the pan off...I wonder if those things could contribute to making it look worse than it is.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:23 PM
pcleary1210
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come help me put mine together Divil
Old 03-20-2015, 01:20 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Well I finally got to fire it up tonight. I cranked it for a while in bursts to build oil pressure, and once that started to build up I fired it up. All seems normal. From a cold start I had well over 4 bar once the engine started, and it pegged with the slightest amount of throttle...overall about the same as before. I haven't had time to warm it up fully or drive it yet but my biggest worry is over. Whether it could still be sucking in air and causing a problem will probably be revealed when I get to the track in a month or so. But I think I am ok.

Originally Posted by pcleary1210
Come help me put mine together Divil
How is it coming along?
Old 03-20-2015, 04:06 PM
pcleary1210
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Intake is off, subframe is loose. Only 2 more bolts on the top of the crosspipe still holding it on. Yesterday was "soak the bolts in penetrant" day. I worked a couple of them loose.

I haven't been pushing too hard because my parts from Lindsey got delayed a bit (TY Porsche). They should be here on Monday, I'm hoping.

I hope to have it re-assembled by next weekend. It will be slow going as I'm cleaning every piece on the way, and replacing some other odds and ends (motor mounts) as well.

-FW
Old 03-20-2015, 04:12 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pcleary1210
Intake is off, subframe is loose. Only 2 more bolts on the top of the crosspipe still holding it on. Yesterday was "soak the bolts in penetrant" day. I worked a couple of them loose.

I haven't been pushing too hard because my parts from Lindsey got delayed a bit (TY Porsche). They should be here on Monday, I'm hoping.

I hope to have it re-assembled by next weekend. It will be slow going as I'm cleaning every piece on the way, and replacing some other odds and ends (motor mounts) as well.

-FW
It's good that you're counting on it taking a while. I was way too optimistic. When you are finished you will probably look back and think "I could knock that out again in 12 hours if I had to" lol....

Quick Reply: oil pickup tube seal