Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

oil pan gasket, oil level sensor questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 09:05 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default oil pan gasket, oil level sensor questions...

I'm in the middle of replacing my rod bearings (well almost the middle lol) and I have a couple of issues:

1. I broke the oil level sensor. The float is in 2 pieces. If I re-use it now, can it be replaced later without dropping the oil pan again? It looks like that would work out fine, just want to make sure.

2. For anyone who has done this before: did you remove the oil pan gasket heat shield from the driver's side? This one is bolted down by the same bolt that goes through the downpipe flange, and also through some other bracket that goes up to where I can't see. I got the pan off without removing it, but I'm a little worried that it will give me trouble and damage the new gasket when it's going back up. I might be ok because I dropped my exhaust, giving me tons of room, but I'd like to know if anyone has any thoughts on it. I would prefer not to remove it because I doubt I'll ever get the bolt back in through all 3 things if I do. The bolts feels stiff which suggests binding due to pressure form the downpipe.

Thanks!
Old 03-14-2015, 08:40 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Well I can answer my own questions now for anyone searching in future...

1. Yes the sensor can easily be replaced with the pan in place, and

2. I did not have to remove the heat shield, but that may be because I dropped my exhaust. 3" exhaust has to come down to get the pan off. Getting the pan back on past the heat shield was delicate but doable...which is lucky because there is no way that heat shield is coming off. I removed both bolts and it still won't come out...it seems to be well and truly trapped behind the down pipe. Luckily the downpipe flange bolt did go back in without too much hassle.

Quick Reply: oil pan gasket, oil level sensor questions...