Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

I love Jack Olsen's Approach

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:37 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If I recall correctly, Odurandina has several nice avatars - maybe he will cycle thru some of them and keep you coming back...

I had an opportunity to get a scissor lift from a tire shop, but it was way too big for the garage and wifey would have nothing to do with it on the side of the house (wouldn't have ben ideal for me either). That one looks nice and compact. Hmmm...

At about 3:30, the canyon you're coming up looks like it's one of the canyons off the 14. Vasquez Rocks is the one it reminded me of - on the way to the original Capt. Kirk vs. the lizard creature rock. Hope to get to Willow Springs sometime to watch you tearing up the track...
Old 03-20-2015, 02:42 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Cool, thanks for posting.

Anyone who has or will run the big track at Willow Springs, do yourself a favor and search YouTube for Jack Olsen's guide to the track. It is the best guide that I have seen of any track and does a great job of slowing it down and showing the line and all of the visual cues needed to nail a lap. Great stuff.

I loved Jack's video linked in the first post, but as someone who has run Willow Springs a lot, one aspect of the vid stuck out: I am surprised that Rhys Millen could do no better than a 1:33 in a 997 GT3. I find that hard to believe, as I did a 1:35.5 a couple of years ago at a POC time trial in my nearly stock, daily driven '86 951. It weighs almost 3,000 lbs without me in it, and has 220 crank HP. I did the lap on 225/50-16 Dunlop Direzza street tires all around, only slightly stiffer springs than stock and Koni Yellows (I have improved the suspension a lot since then and I hope to return to the track soon!). I am decently quick but definitely not a pro driver!

A 1:26 is in another league! That track is so fast that it gets scary to push yourself and your car to the next level and improve your time, even with lots of experience!

Quick Reply: I love Jack Olsen's Approach