Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Dipstick Trivia

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 12:05 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
As you know, I applied 3 not 2 O-rings because I did not have the plastic bushing it was missing. I applied a very thin film of the Loctite SI 5900 to each O-ring. Even without the bushing that I now have from Luis it has not leaked a single drop! It is bone dry I just checked. Still can't post pictures with either version of this pathetic App! I have typed this 3 times now. That is over a month now daily driven.
That's great. I ordered that Loctite, but really don't want to put it at risk of falling in the motor, and I'm hoping for a solution more amenable to frequent disassembly/reassembly...But as a last ditch, I'll use the goo if I need to... I've got plenty of the spacers if you want one. They ensure the guide tube is at the right depth, so worth having...
Old 02-15-2015, 02:12 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom, what about safety wiring the tube in place, by attaching the other end of the wire to the turbo drain banjo?
Old 02-15-2015, 01:06 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ehall
Tom, what about safety wiring the tube in place, by attaching the other end of the wire to the turbo drain banjo?
Without extra O-rings, it wouldn't do much good to seal it. The tube is bolt to the intake, so it's not popping out, the oil is getting past the o-ring. Fingers crossed a slightly bigger o-ring with no crank pressure will do the trick. If not I'll start looking at other options...
Old 02-15-2015, 10:42 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom, we made a nifty clip held on with a small/adjustable hose clamp. I'll take pictures when the axle work is settled with LR/DSS, as it's with a friend's shop in Phoenix dealing with what I stated was wrong from the start. We'll see how they decide to remedy faulty fitment of the CV's sent to me rated to 1000WT that don't fit the 968 trans cars.

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I always thought that by pressing down on the dipstick tube when you tighten its bolt on the intake, that you could compress the o-ring and make it less prone to leaking. It never worked, but that's what I thought. So today I checked on an old motor and can confirm that pressing down on the dipstick will not help at all. See the picture below. The little ledge inside the pan recess is 6.5mm deep, which is a good 3.5mm deeper than the dipstick tube ledge can reach. That means there will always be a 3.5mm gap for the o-ring to sit in, no matter how hard you press down -- and of course the o-ring is nowhere near 3.5mm thick.

I'm going to try the stock o-ring and just vent the crankcase better (see epic crank pressure thread) and if it still leaks with no pressure, I will be in search of a better seal for the tube. Just adding an additional factory o-ring and pressing down might work, since the 2 O-rings together would be slightly thicker than the gap...

I know some use fancy RTV, but I am looking for a solution that can be disassembled and reassembled with ease, and without risk of getting RTV shrapnel in the crankcase.

And for you 3 liter guys running 951 dipstick tubes, be aware that the dipsticks for factory 3 liter motors extend into the pan deeper than the 951 dipstick and tube....
Old 02-18-2015, 11:16 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I ordered some slightly bigger Viton O-rings from McMaster.

The size that fits best is:

9263K221 Multipurpose Chemical-Resistant O-Ring, Viton(R) Fluoroelastomer, 2.4MM Wide, 8.6MM ID

It's .4mm tighter on the tube, and .4mm tighter in the port, which makes a world of difference. It now feels the way you'd think it should. Time will tell how well it holds up, but the initial fit makes for a much more promising seal. They sell them in packs of 25, so I have spares if anyone wants to give one a try...
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2015, 03:29 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

How many are you using? I'd love to try one or two. How much do you want for them?
Old 02-19-2015, 12:24 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

How many are you using? I'd love to try one or two. How much do you want for them?
PM you address and I'll put a couple in snail mail. I'm going to try just one, as it seems to be a nice snug fit. Haven't check to see if you could get the tube all the way down with two on there, even with pressure.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:03 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Apologies in advance.

If you get this, you are old.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2015, 03:46 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
PM you address and I'll put a couple in snail mail. I'm going to try just one, as it seems to be a nice snug fit. Haven't check to see if you could get the tube all the way down with two on there, even with pressure.
Great. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2015, 02:20 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tom, as you've sent me little parts that matter. Neat part of Rennlist.

Kindest Regards,

George

Great. Thanks!
Old 02-20-2015, 05:39 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by George D
Thanks Tom, as you've sent me little parts that matter. Neat part of Rennlist.

Kindest Regards,

George
Myself as well, George. This isn't the first part he's just tossed in the mail for me. ps. I'm using his turbo install write up as we speak...or at least I was until yesterday. Thanks for that too, Tom!
Old 06-10-2016, 10:22 PM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Any updates on this? How is it holding up?
Old 06-10-2016, 11:49 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheFanatic202
Any updates on this? How is it holding up?
Holding up great on my car. No leaks, no problems (finally)! Best $1 upgrade I've made by a country mile.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:19 AM
PorscheFanatic202
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Great! I just ordered 25. I order a lot of things from McMaster they are half an hour from me.

Quick Reply: Dipstick Trivia