Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Kevlar Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 09:36 AM
suzaan
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone already mentioned, the problem with these kevlar belts is that people think they are indestructible, and so they dont tension them right or leave them alone thinking they'll outlast the car. If you do end up going with that belt, be sure to tension it right, check it again after driving it a bit, then check it again just to be paranoid. While you're in there definitely do all the rollers, would suck to get a nice new belt on there and then seize a roller.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:34 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 632 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by seattle951
The cost of replacing my current belt is all labor. The extra $100 for Kevlar belt is not important compared to the cost of the project.
bring it out west, i'll knock it out for $200 and you can use the savings for drinks

this kevlar belt may be the ticket for an experiment...build a non-interference engine (my next engine will be), throw the belt on and just check on it once in a while, and see how long it lasts
Old 02-04-2015, 10:55 AM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by suzaan
As someone already mentioned, the problem with these kevlar belts is that people think they are indestructible, and so they dont tension them right or leave them alone thinking they'll outlast the car. If you do end up going with that belt, be sure to tension it right, check it again after driving it a bit, then check it again just to be paranoid. While you're in there definitely do all the rollers, would suck to get a nice new belt on there and then seize a roller.
This work will be done by a trusted shop. In the past, they call me ask me to come back in for re-tensioning.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:03 AM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by jmj951
In that case, there's no way to really do this properly on 17" wheels because you can't get 285/30/17, they just don't exist. You'll need to either:
* switch to 18" wheels, or
* buy a compromise tire for the rear 17" wheels that will end up being 1" taller than the fronts. You can get several tires in 285/40/17. It seems like the best match is a Continental ExtremeContact DW or Pirelli PZero System.

I'm sure you can resell the Michelin PS2's, but the wheels would be a difficult sell. There just aren't many cars out there that would properly fit them, and some buyers might have concerns about mounting taller tires on the rear vs the front. It's always possible for CCW to modify the wheels ($$) by changing out the inside half (assuming they're 3-piece) so that you can mount a 255/40/17 - that way it would still have the same dimensions between the hub and the fender, it would just be further away from the inner wheelwell.
What is the downside to the extra 0.8 inches? The car looks good, there are no handling issues and no rubbing. The car has a 968 6-speed and the gears a are a little low for my taste. The slightly taller tire helps with that.

My concern is tire availability. When I purchased these wheels, there were a dozen tire choices in the the 255/285 combo. There are only two choices left, both MAX performance summer, a Kumho and a Continental. 11 months of the year I am driving on wet roads that are probably 40 degrees. The summer tires are too hard at these temperatures. My immediate problem is that the existing rear tires are 8 years old. They appear hard and dried out. I did not notice how bad the tires were until I put the Michelins up front and did a side-by-side comparison.

If the selection is this small now, what will it be like in 5 years? For this reason, I am thinking about doing the 18 inch upgrade.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:16 AM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by V2Rocket_aka944
bring it out west, i'll knock it out for $200 and you can use the savings for drinks

this kevlar belt may be the ticket for an experiment...build a non-interference engine (my next engine will be), throw the belt on and just check on it once in a while, and see how long it lasts
I am out west. I am back in Seattle.

Let me know how the experiment goes. I will have probably have gone through three belts before your results are in.
Old 02-05-2015, 10:59 PM
seattle951
Pro

I just drove my car back from the shop with the new kevlar timing belt. Car feels exactly the same with no squeal.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:06 AM
FASTRNU
Pro

Welcome Back, glad you stored the car instead of selling it. We'll have to get together for a drive, the cams in my car and runs great. Joel
Old 02-12-2015, 10:53 AM
seattle951
Pro

Originally Posted by FASTRNU
Welcome Back, glad you stored the car instead of selling it. We'll have to get together for a drive, the cams in my car and runs great. Joel
It is good to be back. My 951 required a significant investment to make it roadworthy again after 5 years. I am at $3,000 and still spending. After replacing a significant amount of the wiring in the engine compartment, the car is running much better. I have a long list of minor items to still address (hatch receivers, rubber bushings, etc.)

What type of impact did the cam make? I was always curious about what my car would have been like if I had installed it.

Would enjoy getting together to swap stories. Once I address a few more issues with my 951, I would like to start doing DE days again. Bill

Quick Reply: Kevlar Timing Belt