Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Preaching to the choir

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 11:02 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Preaching to the choir

I have only had my 951 for a few weeks and since I had to replace a CV joint I had not driven the car properly until this past Sunday. My 87 951 has chip, konis, 250# springs, bars, 17" Fikse, big reds, a full cage, recaros, and some other nice bits on the handling side of things. I gotit primarily as a DE car and occasional driver but really wanted to try it out since the next DE I can do is not until October. So my impression:

WOW

Okay, I can elaborate. Did a mountain drive Sunday in N Georgia, A couple of guys driving S2000's and myself met up at Toosies then made the run up to Neals Gap, 180 to Two Wheels Only, back 180, back up to Neals Gap, down from Neals Gap, old 75 to 180 to Brasstown Bald, back to TWO, 60 to stone pile, lunch at Turners Crossing, then I had to come home to coach baseball.

Impressions, very balanced, very neurtral, turn in extremely crisp. With very little suspension travel only a slight touch of the brakes or lift was enough to set the front tires and dial out any understeer (very little understeer by the way) power on oversteer, slight trail braking oversteer. I am still getting used to the gear ratios, did not want to drive it too hard but ended up going pretty dang hard in spots anyways.

Did I mention the brakes, well as suspected they are awesome. After a run up to Neals Gap in the Audi TT my brakes would be so damn hot and stinking like crazy. In the 951, they hardly got a work out, this car has amazing brakes, and like they say about hp, you can not have to much brake capacity.

Attitude, flat as a pancake. Negatives, not many for a 16 yr old car. Not having a LSD was problem in a couple of off camber tight corners, could not get the power down as fast as I wanted. Locked up a rear tire a couple of times coming in to a corner with uneven pavement, but the car was unbelievably planted, very easy to control in 4 wheel drifts.

Man that was great. Thanks. Next up Road Atlanta in October with PCA.

Jeff
Old 08-26-2003, 11:24 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a fun drive
Old 08-26-2003, 11:28 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Old 08-27-2003, 04:10 PM
Turk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-27-2003, 07:21 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm there with ya dude!

OK - brake highjack:

I also already know I want more braking power. Who knows a good place to get a big red kit? Can I put the current fronts on the back?

Tony G suggests simply some pagid blues, some kinda new fluid (foget name), a 33/5 brake proportioning valve and I'll be happy. On my last drive, I was getting alot of fade though....

Anyone??

TIA, CB

Here's a shot with the new wheels:
Old 08-27-2003, 08:30 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Canyon Blaster,

The fluid that Tony G recommended (and almost everybody will) is ATE super blue. That combined with a good pad, and you should have 0 problems with fade on the street.

Hank,
Sounds like fun
Old 08-27-2003, 08:37 PM
Steve Lavigne
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by adrial
The fluid that Tony G recommended (and almost everybody will) is ATE super blue. That combined with a good pad, and you should have 0 problems with fade on the street.
Motul 600 is better than super blue, and still only about $10 per 500ml. 57 degree F higher dry boiling temperature and 28 degree F higher wet boiling temperature. The only negative is it doesn't come in different colors.

I really don't understand why everyone swears by the ATE stuff.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:44 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Canyonblaster,

You really don't need the Big Reds unless you are doing some heavy duty track driving with a fairly well modded high hp car or you happen to like the look enough to drop some decent coin. For aggressive street driving with he occasional track jaunt, I agree with Tony. Replace your fluid with a racing grade fluid such as ATE Super Blue, 5/33 (928) brake bias valve and a good set of aggressive pad, Hawk, Pagid etc. I run this setup with Hawk Blue pads on the track and the braking is phenomenal. The good fluid and pads will eliminate the fade and the rear bias valve allows your rear brakes to bite quite a bit harder and will serious improve your cars braking ability.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:54 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Originally posted by Steve Lavigne
I really don't understand why everyone swears by the ATE stuff.
I use it because I've never had a problem with fade on the track, I can get it for $9 1000ml, I need to save every penny I can, and I believe it is a lot less hydroscopic than the Motul 600 so it will last long before needing a complete flush rather than the periodic bleed.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:59 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Talking

Thanks alot
Old 08-28-2003, 04:40 AM
NZ951
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the deal with the brake bias valve??? Hve not heard of that mod.

Quick Reply: Preaching to the choir