Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Trailing arm upper bushing options

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:29 AM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailing arm upper bushing options

I dropped the whole suspension for refreshment. I will be replacing most of the rubber components with stock rubber or equivalent. Car is 100% street so I don't want to use polybushes or delrin. What are my options for upper trailing arm? I found Elephant Racing set but it is expensive... In fact I'm thinking about leaving the old ones in place - see below picture, they look really good to me. What do you think?
On a side note - how are the stock ones built? Are they vulcanized to the metal part? I'm asking because I think that during removing process the rubber slide out little bit on one side, I can easily compress it back during installation, just wondering if that destroyed them...
Attached Images  
Old 01-17-2015, 11:32 AM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Try Pelican Parts. They have the type of replacement you are looking for.
Old 01-17-2015, 12:11 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my opinion, Elephant Racing is the best despite the price as you mentioned. Unless new OEM are available.

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...erbushings.htm
Old 01-17-2015, 02:11 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

I just put the elephant racing sport hardness trailing arm bushings in my car over Christmas. They didn't have stock hardness in stock so I got sport.

My car is also 100% street so ride comfort is paramount and I have no complaints. The new bushings paired with larger t bars transformed the cars handling without losing ride comfort.

They are really hard to install though.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:09 PM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try Pelican Parts. They have the type of replacement you are looking for.
I looked through their page but cannot find anything except Powerflex? Link will be appreciated
In my opinion, Elephant Racing is the best despite the price as you mentioned. Unless new OEM are available.
I know they are the best but pricey... I'm buying their spring plate kit anyway
I just put the elephant racing sport hardness trailing arm bushings in my car over Christmas.
Would sport hardness work well with stock T-bars? Comfort is the priority. Regarding the installation - how hard it was? Can you use large vice or press is a must?

How about leaving the old ones? I'm not a fan at all of 26 years old rubber and I scrapped most of the rubber parts in my car but this one looks surprisingly good to me... In fact after plating it would look like brand new part.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:02 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 501 Posts

My original ones still looked OK too. But I replaced them so as not to have to do it again years from now.

I tried the heating and freezing trick but the diameter of the arm and the bushing were too far off to go in. I had to sand down the od of the bushings about 1/2 mm to go in. Not even my 12ton press could do it without some sanding. You might have an easier time since you have aluminum trailing arms where mine are steel.

Quick Reply: Trailing arm upper bushing options