Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Christopher's 16v 2.5L 951 project.

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:15 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kris H
So after all it makes some sense - not from a performance standpoint, but from one of safety precaution.. I will think whether to make a radiator of some sort - probably something similar to stock gearbox cooler.
Hi Kris,
You could if you like but shouldn't be necessary if your lines are away from heat sources. Maybe measure the temperatures first?

Anyone got some data from a 944?

944 power steering doesn't even need a fin-and-tube cooler and it operates at much higher pressures and flows.

Would a power steering cooler fit your needs?

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-10-2016, 07:17 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

https://jhmotorsports.com/shop/catal...ort-p-386.html

Cheers,
Mike
Old 08-10-2016, 11:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 500 Posts

Wouldn't adding a cooler potentially affect fuel pressure?
Don't see a point on a MPFI gas engine unless you are in a super hot area and can cool the fuel way down.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:29 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Another idea is adding a flex fuel sensor. I'm assuming your ECU can make use of it. The reasoning is that many of them (GM, Ford come to mind) also have a built in fuel temp sensor so you can log fuel temps, even if you don't intend to run ethanol.
Old 08-11-2016, 09:50 AM
Kris H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I do intend to run a separate map for e85, and i will install a flex fuel sensor, i don't think the one i was planning to mount has a thermal sensor.. i will check that though. And yes, Ecumaster EMU does support flex fuel.

v2rocket - it shouldn't as the cooler is supposed to be on the return line, not supply
Old 08-19-2016, 03:04 AM
Kris H
Instructor

Not much going on but some snailpace changes do happen
Flat floor's practically ready (excluding diffuser), no photos yet, cause last thing i have to do is measure and drill holes in the carbon panels so that i can use as many stock guard mounting points as possible..

In the meantime I'm waiting for a parcel - for the sake of testing I've ordered a set of lightly used slicks Michelin Porsche Cup N1 25/64-18. (If not for Gustaf, Paul and a few other rennlisters, I wouldn't know what size to get, thanks for all the good advice you gave me).

We've also started to wrap the car.. Every single time i've been wrapping before, I've done it wet, this time I decided to try and do a dry wrapping, and I must assume compared to wet wrapping, it's complete pain in the a**.. The rest of the car for sure will be wrapped wet, and I highly recommend that method to you in case you guys decide to do it yourself..

Anyways - it's starting to look really nice..

Old 08-20-2016, 03:34 AM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by odonnell
Another idea is adding a flex fuel sensor. I'm assuming your ECU can make use of it. The reasoning is that many of them (GM, Ford come to mind) also have a built in fuel temp sensor so you can log fuel temps, even if you don't intend to run ethanol.
Great idea.

Random thought: since a flexfuel sensor works on the same principle as industrial oil condition sensors, has anyone tried one on engine oil to see what it does?

Might be a good way to track engine oil condition without starting another oil thread...

https://books.google.co.nz/books?id=...tivity&f=false

Cheers, Mike
Old 12-13-2017, 11:03 PM
cscowden
Advanced

Would you be open to sharing the graphics design package for the livery? I am looking at doing the same design for an endurance race car build here in the states and it would be very helpful. We are stripping a 944 tot eh shell and media blasting, then rebuilding from the ground up with a 4.8 liter LS and all kinds of goodies.

Thanks
Chris
Old 12-28-2017, 04:44 AM
ealoken
Three Wheelin'

Received 117 Likes on 75 Posts

Any updates on the project?
Im also running the EMU Ecu on my 951 with oem ref sensors.
Old 04-14-2018, 03:18 PM
Kris H
Instructor

Oh boy, it's been so long I almost forgot I had an account on RL.. long story short I've been severely scammed by the last workshops and the car's progress was only theoretical.. it turned out though most of the works done on the car were done wrong and i have to redo most of it from scratch. Good news is, this time I'm pretty convinced I foud the right guy to fabricate and fire up the car.

as for FlexFuel sensor - i think I may go the E85 route for one very specific reason - correct me if I'm wrong, but i recently learned that my idea to reduce the compression ratio was bad in the sense that I virtually removed the squish band of the chamber. At this point i either should open the engine and swap the rods and pistons for a better combo, or fix only the hazard of heavy knock by going the alcohol route.. and for the time being ineed to take the latter approach. There is a second block and internals laying around, and after we're finished with the car, well start to build a second motor with allthe know how we have now after those few years.

As for smaller design changes - we changed to a Holset HX35 with a small twin scroll t3 housing i wanted in the first place, the wastegate due to packaging issues was swapped from Lindsey Racing to what you see on the photos below (and it will be shortened to achieve better fitment), the white FMIC willbe dumped and replaced by a proper audi RS6 twin unit. There's a lot more, but for the time being let's end on that.

cscowden - if you're stillinterested - drop me a note and i'll try to find and send you the livery vectors.

As for the progress some of you may have seen some sneak peeks on fb, but for those who didn't, here's the exhaust spaghetti, the current fabricator did:

Last edited by Kris H; 04-14-2018 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:42 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Love the twin scroll. I am guessing your exhaust was build locally?
Old 04-14-2018, 04:51 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Twin scroll

I love people trying new things.

Question: what’s the logic behind the twin scroll if the pipes can be so long? My thinking was that if one can use long tube 4-2-1 header to feed the turbo, twin scroll isn’t hugely beneficial in terms of exhaust blowdown interference during the overlap. What’s your thinking with this TS setup? What benefits are you looking to get out of it?
Old 04-14-2018, 05:34 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The twin still allows the engine to run higher boost levels because the chance of exhaust reversion is reduced. And it allows the turbo to spoil up faster. Just better all around. But pricey! That's a very cool setup!!! I would like that same type of setup. And it being a 16v head really helps out as well. That engine is going to be an awesome beast for sure! However looking at that setup closer it should have two wastegates not just one because it will have just the same reversion issue as the 4,2,1 headers. A true twin scroll has a wastegate for each side of the exhaust pluming. Meaning 1/4 headers have a wastegate and 2/3 have its own as well. Never the less it looks great.
Old 04-14-2018, 06:36 PM
Kris H
Instructor

gruhsy - thank you, yes - the fabricator is down here, locally

ptuomov - thanks as well. as for the twin scroll - maybe the benefit will not be that much, but if it gives 300rpm earlier spoolup, I'd say it was very much worth it

Humboldtgrin - Thank you and I hope that it will be a beast indeed as for the single WG design - it's still pretty much separated in this application since this WG's valve is on the inlet side and opens up inward - what you can't see in the picture is a baffle that separates the two channels very near to the surface of the WG valve.. which means that until the wg is closed, the slit between the baffle and the wg valve restricts flow so much it's almost like it was completely separated, and when the wastegate opens - then it's no longer essential to keep it separated, so i guess it's not a great problem. If i will ever aim for an upgrade, or after this system cracks, and there will be time for replacement, i'd probably go for a completely split setup.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:11 PM
ptuomov
Nordschleife Master

Received 81 Likes on 64 Posts

Ok so forgive me if I’m misinformed, but it’s my understanding that the twin scroll design on a four cylinder engine is beneficial because it reduces the 180-degree exhaust blowdown interference. That interference is a problem at low rpms only. What is “low rpm” depends on the exhaust primary lengths and camshaft overlap. With little camshaft overlap and long exhaust primaries, twin scroll only helps at very low rpms. With very short exhaust primaries and high-overlap cams, twin scroll can help into reasonably high rpms. Like Kevin Igly’s four cylinder race car (not a Porsche), that thing has to big cams that it wouldn’t go well without both tuned primary lengths and teunnsctoll turbo. I guess I’m asking what kinds of cams are you running on this thing?

Quick Reply: Christopher's 16v 2.5L 951 project.