Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Designing a realtime performance monitor for my 951- inputs needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 03:34 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Designing a realtime performance monitor for my 951- inputs needed

I am finishing up a basic design of a custom touchscreen LCD display (4.2") to display certain parameters in realtime and also to perfeom some data logging. I am/ will be monitoring turbo boost pressure, exhaust pressure, wideband AFR, knock, fuel pressure, rpm and mph. I am sure I can buy something that will do the same, but I am doing this for fun as much as anything else, I design instrumentation as a profession so why not for my P car? I have a stripchart display, data logging and other display ideas. I have an acceleration display that computes your accelation times from a start and end speed.

so my questions are:

- Are there any other things I should consider monitoring?
- any suggestions for plots like AFR vs boost?

When I am done, i plan on sharing the design on rennlist so others can use it if they want

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-10-2015, 03:38 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

one display:
http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...d950f3a429.jpg
Old 01-11-2015, 03:32 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Great idea!
Old 01-11-2015, 03:33 AM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Knock counts - I think you could display these as both a static value (cumulative) and they could be plotted over time on the boost/AFR screen. The same scale you use for boost could be used for knock counts per cycle.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:01 AM
use2windsurf
Racer

Originally Posted by 333pg333
Great idea!
there was more to your comment in the email... answering those questions, the display is mountable and is 3.5" diagonal, 4:3 format.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:06 AM
use2windsurf
Racer

Originally Posted by jmj951
Knock counts - I think you could display these as both a static value (cumulative) and they could be plotted over time on the boost/AFR screen. The same scale you use for boost could be used for knock counts per cycle.
this was one idea I had for that. the knocks are represent by the red ticks. obviously, random test data here. http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...3adc9d7c34.jpg
Old 01-11-2015, 06:57 PM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

cool project. Will it have accelerometers so it could do automatic 0-60 times or in my case 0-100KPH ? It's too hard to hit start when you are trying to launch, so an automated movement sensing timer set up would be cool. Will it be metric swappable ie do both mph and KPH ? Would it be possible to display approximate RWHP based on measuring other data ? G force data ?
Sorry but you did ask
Old 01-11-2015, 07:12 PM
use2windsurf
Racer

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
cool project. Will it have accelerometers so it could do automatic 0-60 times or in my case 0-100KPH ? It's too hard to hit start when you are trying to launch, so an automated movement sensing timer set up would be cool. Will it be metric swappable ie do both mph and KPH ? Would it be possible to display approximate RWHP based on measuring other data ? G force data ? Sorry but you did ask
thanks for the input. I plan on having a definable start and stop speed to compute acceleration based on the time it takes to get between from the start speed to the stop speed. it can be 0-60, 40-80 or whatever. It will be triggered on the speedo input so you would 'arm' the gadget and as soon as the start trigger is detected ( in 0-60 it would be when it sees the car having any speed above 0). i am also going to have a weight input so you can do a horsepower calculation based on weight and acceleration. not planning on using any accelerometers, just speed/time calcs based on the speedo input. I hadnt thought about metric units, but that is easy enough.

Quick Reply: Designing a realtime performance monitor for my 951- inputs needed