Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

My Performance Muffler Replacement...with photos :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 01:27 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking My Performance Muffler Replacement...with photos :)

Hello fellow rennlisters,
I was back at it again this weekend. Finally was able to install the Dynomax race magnum bullet muffler and tip I bought nearly two weeks ago. I forgot the camera for the first half of the action. (Scrapping the old muffler.) So here is the pics and commentary from my muffler install.

First you take the cat back exhaust peice off (4 bolts) and cut the sheild off. This connects from the back of the muffler to the exhaust pipe.

Next you cut the pipe from the muffler. (We used a tourch because we wanted to get the most lenth from the original pipe as possable.)

Then we removed the two hangers that hung the muffler from the back of the car. We grinded the bolts off them. (not needed)

Next we (friend and I) hung the exhaust pipe back on the car and got it situated how I wanted it with the muffler on it. (The muffler slips over the existing exhaust pipe.) We tac welded it a few times then took it back off the car to finish the welding.

We knew from the start that the Tip would'nt stick out like I had wanted b/c the muffler and tip combonation were shorter than the original muffler. So we got a peice of pipe (2 1/2inch od) and welded it to the end of the muffler. (the muffler is 2 1/2inch id so the pipe slid right in. The tip is also 2 1/2inch id.)

This is when I remembered to bring my camera and this is what the setup looks like without the tip on.

Here is the top half of the exhaust system. We accidently cut my pipe to short at first and had to butt weld the rest of it back on. Opps

Here is a pic of the where the muffler is welded to the cars existing exhaust pipe.

Fabricating hangers to hold the muffler up and in place were a pain in the ***, but with brut force we got it We used the original hangers that hung the rear of the muffler up. We unblolted them, grinded the bolts off and welded a 90degree bent 5inch rod to each one.

This is where the fun started. We had to bolt the exhaust back on the car and position it to where the tip was centered. (These custom fabed hangers were stuck in their original places.) Next While I held it centered My friend had to bend (with heat) the 5inch rods to where it kept the tip centered. Then he gave each one a few tac welds and we removed the exhaust again to finish welding it.

In this pic you can see how each rod was bent and how the rod was welded to the pipe and hanger.

Before we welded the hangers the rest of the way on we put my stainless steel tip on, which this could be done last too. We did'nt know how or did'nt want to weld the stainless tip so we used aircraft quality stainless rivets to hold the tip on. These rivets won't corrode or rust. But I forgot to take pics of this procedure.

Here are some cool pics of my Friend (logan, he has a conquest and AWD talon) welding the hangers the rest of the way on.

Last but not least we hung the exhaust system back onto the car. This is where it was a pain. We put the back hangers in first, swinging the exhaust back in forth, front and back getting the hangers to go in. This was hard because we welded the hangers to the muffler tight so it would'nt move around alot. Finally we put the 4 bolts back in.

Here are some finished photos. I'll have a few short or one long video coming soon. I'm sure your all anxious to hear what it sounds like after reading all that

(Next Post..To many photo's)

Yes my car was very dirty!

Well thanks for reading my adventure, untill nextime...
Old 08-25-2003, 01:28 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Old 08-25-2003, 01:44 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey good job.. How does it sound?
Old 08-25-2003, 01:46 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Sounds awsome! Has a deep tone but yet gets louder as you accelerate. Don't worry you'll all get to hear it soon enough
Old 08-25-2003, 02:26 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Sound bite? hee hee, I have a 4" turbo back system, I only have a 12" x 4", borla xr-1 its loud! no sound bite but, I could post a pic tomorrow.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:31 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

I'd love to see a photo of how you ran 4" throughout the car.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:40 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

Its scary tight but, no problem. even with a lowered car. Cup cars had 4" too.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:22 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Guess i did'nt know that, You don't get boost creep or anything with that big of an exhaust?
Old 08-26-2003, 12:36 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

sorry, I forgot to take a pic today. Tomorrows another day. No boost creep. It helps reduces back pressure for quicker spool up. A little too loud for the street. I am going to add 1 more xr-1 or 1 round titanium..
Old 08-26-2003, 01:16 AM
TonyG
Rennlist Junkie Forever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dude... no offense, but your boy needs to learn to weld!

Those are the worst looking welds I've seen in a long time!
Old 08-26-2003, 01:31 AM
evil 944t
Rennlist Member

damn, don't hold back Tony!
Old 08-26-2003, 05:38 AM
keith
Drifting

you know the stock system is (or was) stainless, right?
Old 08-26-2003, 11:55 AM
dmoffitt
Three Wheelin'

i'd be rather worried about that stuff rusting, but i'd guess for the $$ you're better off just replacing it ever few years if it does vs. how much full stainless systems cost for these cars. well done. i gotta agree w/ tony tho, those welds are, er, interesting - but not everyone can be a MIG pimp like my friend aaron
Old 08-26-2003, 01:13 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Besides...it's a lot tougher to weld with a torch than with a true MIG. At least I find it to be.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:51 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Hey guys,
The welds were done with cedlyne (SP?) and oxgen, not the easiest or fastest way to weld, the only way we knew how. Plus were both only 18 and just started welding lol.

Rusting? It will take a good 5+ years for that stuff to rust, I figure by then I'll have a SPF 3".

Quick Reply: My Performance Muffler Replacement...with photos :)