Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

respecting the german engineering even more now..

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:41 AM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default respecting the german engineering even more now..

Ok so as the title says, i found new respect for german engineering after yesterday, i would have probably died yesterday and killed my friend if i was driving any other car...

Lets just say i lost grip with my rear wheels on slight turn while doing 100+ mph.. and i was able to correct it with slight counter steer. I dont know if any other car could do that.
I did learn a lesson. Dont drive like a maniac at night on the road you dont know, even if its abandoned.
I got scared like alot, i bet it was even scarier for passanger, i mean no rollcages and harnesses can save you from hitting a tree at that speed..
Old 12-08-2014, 07:02 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Glad you're still with us.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:07 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

+1 glad you got to tell us the story.

Ironically that is one of the reasons that some ppl back in the day didn't rate our cars. Too easy to drive fast and extremely forgiving if you do make an error. Personally it is why I love these cars and why I don't want to own any car nicnamed *widow maker*
Old 12-08-2014, 12:55 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Its partially lee101315 fault, he called me paul walker few months ago.. and i almost pulled it.. before work i drove on that road again today, and thought what the f i was thinking.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:01 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im glad you're ok and nothing happened, but you need to learn respect for SPEED.

So many No-Nos in your story.

You never test the traction of your tires by taking a fast corner in near freezing weather on summer tires. Or on any type, for that matter. That was dangerous.

The fact that you were able to correct over steer at 100mph isnt a testament to german engineering, you should be thankful that it didnt turn into a tank slapper that put you into a ditch.

And an abandoned road? Meaning cleaned less frequently than a major one? And after snow? There is salt everywhere... you're crazy.

Take it as a lesson learned, and dont do it again. You know what the messed up part about most accidents involving speeding and reckless driving? The driver usually survives, because the steering wheel keeps him from going out the window. The passenger usually isnt as lucky... its common to wake up in the hospital handcuffed to the bed.

Be careful, and try to think a bit. We need you around to post your typical entertraining stuff. You dont want to meet the same fate as Paul Walker...lol
Old 12-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lee101315
Im glad you're ok and nothing happened, but you need to learn respect for SPEED.

So many No-Nos in your story.

You never test the traction of your tires by taking a fast corner in near freezing weather on summer tires. Or on any type, for that matter. That was dangerous.

The fact that you were able to correct over steer at 100mph isnt a testament to german engineering, you should be thankful that it didnt turn into a tank slapper that put you into a ditch.

And an abandoned road? Meaning cleaned less frequently than a major one? And after snow? There is salt everywhere... you're crazy.

Take it as a lesson learned, and dont do it again. You know what the messed up part about most accidents involving speeding and reckless driving? The driver usually survives, because the steering wheel keeps him from going out the window. The passenger usually isnt as lucky... its common to wake up in the hospital handcuffed to the bed.

Be careful, and try to think a bit. We need you around to post your typical entertraining stuff. You dont want to meet the same fate as Paul Walker...lol
Agree on everything you said, tho the road wasnt salty we had no snow in a week or so and it recently rained, but it was cold and i guess the all season extreme contacts dws are no good at those speeds lol. even tho we had the harnesses on i dont think they would have helped.. Believe me i learned my lesson driving like a granny now with boost dialed to 10psi "winter mode"
Old 12-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Smudo
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 13 Posts

These cars have good handling with some build in under steer (with standard suspension). When I purchased my 951, I went to a youngtimer rally track days event that we have here in Latvia. I arranged an instructor as I was first time on race track (very unforgiving, with concrete walls as it was originally built in 60ties) and this was my first RWD car (standard suspension, only upgraded brake pads and brake fluid) in which I had driven around 100 miles before. After coupe of laps I had my tail out in 3rd gear 70 mph corner and was able to correct it with one single correction almost without slowing the car down. The instructor was more scared than me I had also similar situation also in 2ng gar corners.

With the above I want to say that these cars neutral and good handling, although with standard suspension and tires sizes do not have the highest corner speed.
Old 12-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

My car is more on neutral side but if i push it over the grip limits it oversteers most of the time, i do have m030 front coilovers, but no t-bars in the back, just coilovers.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:50 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Go enjoy the car at an HPDE. You will be further impressed the more the car is pushed. And you won't feel the need to drive like that when not on the track.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Tsmith84
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most tracks have open lapping days, and will also do half days. Even a full day costs less than a traffic ticket. Tracks are also cleaned frequently and much safer if you do lose control. Keep this type of driving off the road. You never know whose family your going to kill when they are coming the other direction.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:47 AM
944s4me
AutoX

I used to drive fast on the street, ie, public roads. Once I started driving on the track and then racing, I noticed I really slowed down on the street.
The reason is , you simply cannot truly drive fast on public roads, once you understand what driving in a controlled manner, near the limit of your car feels like then you understand the road is no place to flirt with speed on public roads.
You have no idea what is around the corner (no corner workers flagging for the deer or cyclist)

Just my 2cents
Old 12-09-2014, 12:06 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 54 Posts

Vytenis Walker lol
Old 12-09-2014, 12:12 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
Vytenis Walker lol
lol lart that gave me an idea.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:29 PM
Carlsbergas
Rennlist Member

And no im not going to hit a tree sideways
Old 12-09-2014, 04:15 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

What HADDDhapppen was

Quick Reply: respecting the german engineering even more now..