Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What Gear should I see Max Boost?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 11:26 PM
Neward P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by sm
Thanks for the replies. The car is quite fast at the low boost I'm seeing right now; 15psi must be almost scary!

What did you do to your car? you put new GURU wastegate or a reliaboost?
Old 08-29-2003, 02:33 AM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Simpson, I'll be impressed if you hook up that socket as a test lamp AND install it in the proper place in the rear taillamp cluster. I'll be happy to follow you around and read the codes.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:38 AM
sm
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Update Part II

I drove the car last night with the hose between the Reliaboost and wastegate disconnected. Maybe this didn't do anything, but I wanted to see if the wastegate would hold boost on it's own, and it felt like it did. I saw maybe 9 psi in third gear, which was more than the 7 psi or so that I saw with the hose attached. I am not 100% sure of this, however, as I was careful not to overboost. Did this *test* prove anything?

----------------------

My CV is disconnected. Will a this setup still allow for overboost protection and drop boost to ~7psi?

How do I test for a pooped wastegate?

And how do you connect a dual port wastegate to a MBC, such as a Reliaboost?

Should I suspect a weak spring in the Reliaboost? It has been adjusted to near max already.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:41 AM
sm
Drifting

Originally posted by ninefiveone
Simpson, I'll be impressed if you hook up that socket as a test lamp AND install it in the proper place in the rear taillamp cluster. I'll be happy to follow you around and read the codes.
When I get this problem figured out, my tailamps will be the only thing you'll see

But on a serious note (I was only semi-serious above), I'm thinking about hooking an LED up to the gauge cluster for this purpose (a la Perry).

Does the testing of the codes have to be done after a drive, or can it be done on startup? I didn't see any codes come up when I performed the test right after starting the car.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:04 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

sm, if you disconnect the wastegate and run the car, should see a TON of boost. If not, wastegate is bad.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:07 AM
sm
Drifting

Originally posted by toddk911
sm, if you disconnect the wastegate and run the car, should see a TON of boost. If not, wastegate is bad.
I may be wrong, but isn't the stock wg spring only good for about 7 psi?
Old 08-29-2003, 11:18 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by toddk911
if you disconnect the wastegate and run the car, should see a TON of boost. If not, wastegate is bad.
True, but only if you don't have an intake leak somewhere. Under boost, it doesn't take much of a leak to bleed away most of your boost. As I said earlier, a small hose blowing off caused me to lose most of my boost, even though the boost controller was sending no pressure to the WG.
Old 08-29-2003, 11:34 AM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

Yes, correct. I was assuming he had checked for leaks. What vac are you reading on boost guage?? And if yo uare going by stock guage, that could be way off.
Old 08-29-2003, 12:17 PM
sm
Drifting

I get about 20 whatever the units is (inches?) at idle. Is that about right?

And I did snoop around the engine bay looking for loose hoses, but didn't see any. I'll look again...

Still trying to get answers for these q's:

My CV is disconnected. Will a this setup still allow for overboost protection and drop boost to ~7psi?

And how do you connect a dual port wastegate to a MBC, such as a Reliaboost?

Should I suspect a weak spring in the Reliaboost? It has been adjusted to near max already.

Thanks!

Last edited by sm; 08-29-2003 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:40 PM
sm
Drifting

I just checked the fault code reader and there are no fault codes. I checked all of the vacuum hoses (rubber and hard plastic), and everything seems fine. Oil still smells like gas and I can't get more than about 7 psi.

Well, I'm going to go change my oil now.

Seems like a new wastegate is in order?
Old 08-29-2003, 10:05 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Do you mean it's bypassed or that you just pulled the hose going to the WG and left that hose disconnected?

Probably the surest way is to remove it and test it outside the car with a pressure source...not the easiest way, though. If you disconnect the line from the CV to the WG (pull it at the CV) as a test, then you should be able to develop maximum boost if everything else is OK.

Unlikely but it's easy to check. Carefully take the Reliaboost apart. Just unscrew the end you normally turn to adjust it, and keep unscrewing slowly until the threaded body comes out. Check for debris inside the Reliaboost and inspect the spring and ball. If everything looks OK by eye, then you don't have a problem here.

Are you absolutely certain you don't have an intake leak?
Old 08-30-2003, 10:18 AM
sm
Drifting

Originally posted by Jake951
Do you mean it's bypassed or that you just pulled the hose going to the WG and left that hose disconnected?
The CV is bypassed. I did drive around town with the hose that's between the wastegate and Reliaboost disconnected, but things didn't change much.

Probably the surest way is to remove it and test it outside the car with a pressure source...not the easiest way, though. If you disconnect the line from the CV to the WG (pull it at the CV) as a test, then you should be able to develop maximum boost if everything else is OK.[/B]
I sprayed some PB Blaster on the wastegate bolts in preparation for this - or installation of a new WG.

Are you absolutely certain you don't have an intake leak? [/B]
I get about 18 in of HG at idle when the car is warmed up. However, the needle on the aftermarket gauge does move a tad bit when the idle speed moves. Idle is about 900 rpm's, but does sometimes drop to 700 rpm's.

I'm not absolutely certain that there aren't leaks, but I have checked pretty much everything.

I'm now going to pull my injectors to check for leaks (gas smell in oil - still).

Thanks for the help
Old 08-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I get about 18 in of HG at idle when the car is warmed up. However, the needle on the aftermarket gauge does move a tad bit when the idle speed moves. Idle is about 900 rpm's, but does sometimes drop to 700 rpm's.
A small leak may not affect idle or even part throttle performance but will kill your boost. It's happened to me.

Also, have you tested your BOV?
Old 08-30-2003, 11:30 AM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

EDIT: Ignore this. Double post.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:01 PM
sm
Drifting

Also, have you tested your BOV?
I pulled the vacuum hard line off and sucked on the nipple (oh stop it ) and was able to slightly suck some air out, but it was generally difficult. The part is about 1.5 years old, and was bought from Paragon. So I assume it's the updated part...

I'm going to get one of those vacuum tester hand pump things.

Quick Reply: What Gear should I see Max Boost?