944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Latest shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 01:53 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Latest shocks

Yesterday the spindle mount broke/tore off my left JIC strut. Fortunately it happened in a slow second gear corner and I was able to limp it off the track with only minimal collateral damage (torn brake line etc). It looks like fatigue failure, not surprising after 6 race seasons with high spring rates and big slicks. So... I'm in the market to replace the JICs that I never liked anyway.
I'm not interested in dropping $12-17k on Penske or Ohlins for a car that I usually AX, and the grapevine has it that Moton and JRZ quality has been iffy lately (there's a back story that's too long to go into, but it involves infighting among the owners).
Also, I have no intention of going ten steps backward with the old tech offerings from Bilstien or Koni.
Carl at Racer's Edge recommended MCS, made by the "tech" half of the brothers that owned Moton. According to him, they're the current hot setup in a mid priced damper ($5.5k with the springs and parts needed to actually install them).
Opinions?
Old 11-23-2014, 02:03 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be interested in seeing pics of the failure. Can you post?
Old 11-23-2014, 02:18 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Location: Encinitas, ca PCA National DE instructor PCA San Diego chief driving instructor

I'll post a few pics after I have the parts in hand. I drive this car to our AX facility as it's 20 miles away and the car has a license plate - it's "street illegal" LOL. So, being without a trailer and having a AAA card in my pocket, I had it towed to my friends shop near the track.
That was interesting by itself. The club keeps jacks and "roller skates" in the club trailer, I already had it sitting on these, but the first genius that showed up wanted to jam 4X4's under the splitter/oil cooler and DRAG it onto the flatbed....like that's gonna happen to my race car. He finally called another operator with the right kind of tow vehicle (and a brain) and it was done without destroying the car.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:42 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

I put the MCS dampeners on after my JICs came apart in the rear. I have been extremely happy with the MCS system. They were a lot easier to dial in than I thought they would be.

Get em you'll like em.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:29 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sean and Bruce Buchanan in Australia have been fitting MCS to a few 944's, if I recall correctly.

Cheers,
Mike

Last edited by mikey_audiogeek; 11-23-2014 at 08:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-23-2014, 10:14 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LUCKY DAVE
I'll post a few pics after I have the parts in hand. I drive this car to our AX facility as it's 20 miles away and the car has a license plate - it's "street illegal" LOL. So, being without a trailer and having a AAA card in my pocket, I had it towed to my friends shop near the track.
That was interesting by itself. The club keeps jacks and "roller skates" in the club trailer, I already had it sitting on these, but the first genius that showed up wanted to jam 4X4's under the splitter/oil cooler and DRAG it onto the flatbed....like that's gonna happen to my race car. He finally called another operator with the right kind of tow vehicle (and a brain) and it was done without destroying the car.
I unzipped the cans the JICs sit in a couple of years ago. I ended up rebuilding and re-enforcing them.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:02 PM
OlsenMotorsports
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yesterday the spindle mount broke/tore off my left JIC strut. Fortunately it happened in a slow second gear corner and I was able to limp it off the track with only minimal collateral damage (torn brake line etc). It looks like fatigue failure, not surprising after 6 race seasons with high spring rates and big slicks. So... I'm in the market to replace the JICs that I never liked anyway.
I'm not interested in dropping $12-17k on Penske or Ohlins for a car that I usually AX, and the grapevine has it that Moton and JRZ quality has been iffy lately (there's a back story that's too long to go into, but it involves infighting among the owners).
Also, I have no intention of going ten steps backward with the old tech offerings from Bilstien or Koni.
Carl at Racer's Edge recommended MCS, made by the "tech" half of the brothers that owned Moton. According to him, they're the current hot setup in a mid priced damper ($5.5k with the springs and parts needed to actually install them).
Opinions?
We have many options in the JRZ Lineup to fit your needs. As far as JRZ being "iffy" I can assure you that is not the case. We have been around for a long time with great service and that will not change!

-Tim
Old 11-25-2014, 02:15 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm happy with my KW v3s. but the club sports could be up your alley way.

MCS have been talked about before, and suppose to be very good. You can get extras with them also bushings ect.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:56 AM
DPSmith
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have installed dozens of sets of mcs shocks on cars for customers. Mostly 996 & 997's. A 996tt, 997S, 3 997 gt3's, and 2 997 Gt2's with 620hp. Very highly recommended. We followed Lex when he left moton. He is a great guy. Very knowledgable. Great with technical help. They are great shocks. Don't hesitate!
Old 11-30-2014, 11:11 AM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

Originally Posted by DPSmith
I have installed dozens of sets of mcs shocks on cars for customers. Mostly 996 & 997's. A 996tt, 997S, 3 997 gt3's, and 2 997 Gt2's with 620hp. Very highly recommended. We followed Lex when he left moton. He is a great guy. Very knowledgable. Great with technical help. They are great shocks. Don't hesitate!
I shall soon see for myself, I ordered them a week ago
Old 11-30-2014, 05:41 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

I shall soon see for myself, I ordered them a week ago
You will not be disappointed. What springs will you be using with them?
Old 11-30-2014, 09:10 PM
LUCKY DAVE
Racer

750/900
Old 12-01-2014, 11:50 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I guess it's a little late, but I've been very happy with Anze, which uses Penske internals. Good service and about $6k.

Quick Reply: Latest shocks