Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 12:29 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default spark plugs

Looking at getting a tune-up pack from LR and it comes with spark plugs, but there are several to choose from. My car is an '87 that is pretty much stock. What would be the best plug. Here are the choices:

Bosch WR5DC
Bosch WR7DC
Bosch WR8DC
Bosch WR9DC
NGK BR-7EIX
NGK BR-8EIX
NGK BR-9EIX
Old 11-23-2014, 06:09 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Why don't you ask Mike or Dave Lindsey?
Old 11-24-2014, 01:03 AM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's a good idea. I also want to ask them some questions about the M-Tune offering through LR.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:11 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My car has used plenty of sets of both Bosch and NGK's with fine results. Then I switched to e3's which were better response though did not last as long.

This year I started using custom vertex crossfire plugs and have found they outperform the others with my setup. The guy who makes them lives around the corner from me and his name is Glenn. It is a copper plug with a twisted electrode and they burn great.

Dave
Old 11-27-2014, 11:22 AM
EVOMMM
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 968 Posts
Default plugs

see if he would sell me a set please
thanks Mike
Old 11-27-2014, 03:37 PM
numbskull
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Glenn's email is vxf.sparkplugs@yahoo.com

his website: http://www.vertexcrossfire.com/
Old 12-12-2014, 09:43 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

Bosch WR7DC or NGK BPR6ES. These are copper electrode spark plugs that are in the factory recommended heat range and will be more than adequate for street driving with a near-stock engine. Stay away from platinum, iridium, or any of the multi ground electrode plugs, they are a waste of money and will not work any better.

You only need to go with a colder plug if you have a heavily modified engine and/or do a lot of track events. The idea is that the colder plugs are less prone to causing preignition during sustained heavy load/high RPM, but the downside is they can foul easier if your engine experiences a lot of cold starts/short trips.

My engine is bone stock, and I have done a lot of track events in the last 7 years, and even switched to colder Bosch WR5DCs once a few years ago. The cold idle was a tiny bit more rough but I never fouled them or anything . . . . . then I simply went back to WR7DCs and have never had an issue, track use and all.

I have no idea about the special spark plug mentioned above, but in my 10 years of experience as a Porsche/BMW technician, I have found that the OE plug is far better than others in a stock or near stock engine in any case. The automakers do a LOT of research and testing, after all. If your engine is heavily modified, consult an expert (there are a few on this forum, in fact!).

BTW my parents live in the Woodlands, and I would go nuts if I saw a 951 there, it would be the only car on the road older than 5 years old!
The following users liked this post:
Autobreza (11-24-2023)

Quick Reply: spark plugs