Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Turbo boost help, am I over-simplifying this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 04:19 PM
Chuck Henry
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
So, are you saying that when you floor it, your stock boost gauge only goes to 1?
Actually, the stock gauge is an absolute pressure reading; so 1 bar absolute would actually be probably about 3 psi boost at high elevation. Not getting more than 3 psi boost means you're in limp mode, which is often an electrical issue. Could be your cycling valve, TPS sensor, knock sensor, or KLR, comes to mind. This means your turbo and exhaust are probably fine; and if you had such a boost leak as to not making any positive pressure, it would run terribly rich (which would be very obvious).
And, contrary to what you hear alot, the stock wastegate and stock boost gauge are actually very reliable (they just don't serve well when doing more extensive mods).
That's my guess; limp mode.
If you did install an aftermarket boost gauge it would probably read 3 psi boost when your stock gauge reads "1" (on account of the high elevation)

Good information! I'll get it together and see what's going on, but that sounds entirely possible. Once I get to that point, I'll look for some advice on how to track down what component is causing the problem. Wish it had codes I could just plug in to and read!

Quick Reply: Turbo boost help, am I over-simplifying this?