Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Ceramic Coat Downpipe???

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 07:46 AM
86944turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ceramic coatings have made leap and bound improvements over the past few yrs. It's important, as someone mentioned earlier, that you seek the proper company. Since ceramics dissapate heat quickly, they tend to protect those metals that see the highest temps. Be it valves, pistons, ex. port (Porsche used this on the stock 951 head), turbo, or whatever, they work. Heck, there are turbo's out there w/ceramic blades (cost an arm and leg). So what is the H/P gain? Ahh, allows more boost to be run. So where does the heat go. In my case, it's out the back in flames. The hottest point outside our motors is right before the turbo, best place for EGT. The more you can cool these down, the better off (either through reliability or H/P) you are. I have no experience w/pre ignition areas, although I'm willing to learn. Jet Hot at least the first 1/2 of your exhaust or you'll be melting the glue on the carpet. As far as oil temps. go, with a good synthetic, typically pressure becomes more of an issue than temp. Keep your pressure at 5 bar and you can run oil temps of 260f and more. Obviously this depends on where you place your temp. sensor. Right as the oil leaves the block is most accurate. Remember, it's the oil pressure that separates metals, not the temp. I'll take 5 bar oil pressure and 260f any day before 210f w/3 bar pressure. You may not have the HP that requires 5 bar, most do not. Heck, most racing synthetics lubricate better at 230f than they do at 190f. The higher the HP (for like motors) the higher the oil pressure requirements. Extremely high temps. can/will cause oil pressure drops. Below 260f, pressure in these motors is more important.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:37 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Jon, Good question!! When I built my race motor I was very concerned about heat and heat soak. I have a Lindsey racing intake manifold which does not cover the turbo .. thus keeping the turbo cooler. My intake manifold is coated on the inside, turbo is not coated (wiil do next time around), down pipe is coated, crossover pipe is coated, and exhaust manifold is coated. I have the large Lindsey stage V intercooler as well. I wanted my motor to be extremely reliable (longevity) and be able to handle 20lbs of boost when needed. So far I have only run up to 1 bar on the motor .. I have a tech 2 with a 2 bar sensor ... which will only measures up to 1 bar .... have the 3 bar sensor in the gaurage. Anyway .. I have never seen my oil temp gauge go beyond flat.
Not only does heat kill the life span of everything in the engine .. it also saps HPs.
So I guess to answer your question... I think heat soak has been reduced by the coatings, intake manifold that does not cover turbo, larger intercooler, and larger oil cooler. Hope that helps.

944turbo
Old 08-20-2003, 12:24 PM
Jon Moeller
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info from both of you. Thanks much. I'm new to the whole turbo thing, and realize that I have a lot to learn. Should be a fun process. ;-)

I hope to see you at the track next year, 944turbo. My car wasn't ready for this season, but I'm working hard.
-Jon
Old 08-20-2003, 01:36 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Jon,

Happy to help .. I will keep an eye out for you at the track.

944turbo

Quick Reply: Ceramic Coat Downpipe???