Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 04:23 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Clutch Question

So yesterday I went to the drags with a buddy and it turned out to be an interesting day! When I arrived, the temperature at the track was 37F and the strip had a 25 mph head wind with gusts up to 40 mph.

Made my first run and things were looking good. Launched the car much harder than the past. Launched at 4200 rpm with low tire pressure which resulted in a 2.01 60 ft which was my best to date. However, the EBC did not work and I ran spring pressure for the entire run. Tried for a bit to figure out what happened but was running out of time if I was going to make a couple mores runs.

Decided to just use my MBC but I made changes to my WG spring and ended up setting the pressure too high. I had the overboost protection set to 23 psi and hit it in 1 st and 2nd gear which blew my run. Went back to the pits and lowered the pressure and went out for another run.

On the third run the clutch was like butter, slipping all over the place. Right after the run I took it out on the street and I could get it to slip at about 15-16 psi around peak torque. After that I called it a day and figured a clutch was a job that I would have to be done this Winter.

Today I took the car out and I cannot get the clutch to slip. There is a real steep hill not far from my house and pounded the car on boost, tried bogging in high gear and still no slip.

My question is what happened? Was the clutch over heated? Did I mildly glaze the clutch and then wore off the glazing? Clutch is a Spec Stage 3 Hybrid with a Spec pressure plate and aluminum flywheel. Any input appreciated.
Old 11-02-2014, 06:08 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Too much heat. The organic material doesn't like it.

You may have been able to make another rub if you could have let it cool off.

This is why I like the Feramic material. It bites when heated still.

Launching it harder initially probably caused it.

If I were you, I would use your current pp and get a disc from Dave.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Think brake fade... I love (love) the KEP/CUP combo for the street, but 4200 rpm launches are probably too much to ask of the little guy. The South Bend disk very street friendly -- just a hint of shudder at lights -- but would get my vote for your next try.

p.s., clutch jobs aren't as bad as advertised. You can do it over a weekend on jackstands if properly motivated.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:06 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blown 944
Too much heat. The organic material doesn't like it.

You may have been able to make another rub if you could have let it cool off.

This is why I like the Feramic material. It bites when heated still.

Launching it harder initially probably caused it.

If I were you, I would use your current pp and get a disc from Dave.
Thanks Sid. I will send Dave an email.

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Think brake fade... I love (love) the KEP/CUP combo for the street, but 4200 rpm launches are probably too much to ask of the little guy. The South Bend disk very street friendly -- just a hint of shudder at lights -- but would get my vote for your next try.

p.s., clutch jobs aren't as bad as advertised. You can do it over a weekend on jackstands if properly motivated.
Thanks Tom. I changed an NA clutch and it was not bad at all. I guess a bit more work removing the cross-over but I like reasons to be in the garage anyway
Old 11-03-2014, 01:11 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by refresh951
Thanks Sid. I will send Dave an email.

Thanks Tom. I changed an NA clutch and it was not bad at all. I guess a bit more work removing the cross-over but I like reasons to be in the garage anyway
The cross-over stays in place unless you have that super early version without a separate elbow going to the wastegate...
Old 11-03-2014, 08:12 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
The cross-over stays in place unless you have that super early version without a separate elbow going to the wastegate...
My 86 is #162. A very early car.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:53 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

The full metallic spec I have is nice. Does not slip at all ever. Not sure if it is the same material as the feramic with a different name.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:03 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

+2 for South Bend. I AX a lot - usually 10 runs/person/event minimum, 5 events/year minimum... x 2 drivers (me, and my wife).

That's a lot of aggressive, clutch-slipping starts per year. And the SB clutch has held up great. No slip so far. If anything, it seems gripper/grabbier when it's got a little heat in it.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:45 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the free play at the pedal also. I forgot what the spec is, but i think it was 1-1.5mm free play.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:12 AM
michaelmount123
Rennlist Member

Received 219 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Techno Duck
Check the free play at the pedal also. I forgot what the spec is, but i think it was 1-1.5mm free play.
Inadequate free play will also load the main journal thrust bearing and take it out. Beware!
Old 11-04-2014, 08:34 AM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michaelmount123
Inadequate free play will also load the main journal thrust bearing and take it out. Beware!
Pretty sure this is not the issue but I will check it just to be sure.

Quick Reply: Clutch Question