Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

cycling valve leaking from electrical terminal

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 11:42 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Yeah I began to think that some leakage would have to be normal, and I probably had the wrong approach by turning off the air and seeing how long it would hold. So I tested again but this time I wanted to see what it took to hold the intake at around 10psi, and in fact my little 1.5g compressor can keep it there for a good 10 minutes, so the leakage is very small. It is a lot faster if I allow air out of the banjo fitting towards the CV, but since clamping that off doesn't make the car drive any better, I'm assuming it's still a trivial leak.

In 4th gear I'm pretty sure I can get full boost by 3k. Maybe even in 3rd. But from everything I've read I think I should be able get full boost by 3k in 2nd, especially with the cat delete.

To be honest, I think there is more going on than just leaks. It's a bit long and complicated to explain, but I've been chasing what might be more than 1 performance problem for a while here. At least *part* of it is intermittent, and so probably not leak related, and I've replaced and tested and lot of electrical/fuel related bits so far, but due to the intermittent nature, it's very difficult to tell if I've made a difference. So I'm going over every performance related test I can think of, just trying to eliminate as much stuff as possible. Knowing I have leaks, however small, makes it difficult to get anywhere, since I don't really know how big an effect they can have.

What I do know is that one day last year, without warning, my car seemed to suddenly "wake up" and it just felt way better at part throttle. I didn't think there was much difference to the peak power, but it just felt much more driveable, especially 2nd gear. Power built quickly and smoothly from around 2500rpm, instead of coming in one big lump aroung 3500-4000. It sounded better too, kind of deeper. It was obvious that that was the way it's supposed to be. But after a day or so it went back to it's old self. Every now and then the performance comes back for a short while, but I can't spot any pattern to it. I have never managed to see exactly when the boost reaches max under those conditions. I hope it's not that the WG is getting stuck closed or something like that
Old 11-05-2014, 01:13 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
In 4th gear I'm pretty sure I can get full boost by 3k. Maybe even in 3rd. But from everything I've read I think I should be able get full boost by 3k in 2nd, especially with the cat delete.
15 psi, in 2nd, by 3000, with a K26/8? Wishful thinking.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:15 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
15 psi, in 2nd, by 3000, with a K26/8? Wishful thinking.
Full boost is 0.75 bar or 10.87 psi.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:40 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
Full boost is 0.75 bar or 10.87 psi.
Okay...11 psi, in 2nd, by 3000, with a K26/8? Wishful thinking.

Quick Reply: cycling valve leaking from electrical terminal