Rebuilt or new 26/8 turbo - racing application

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 03:26 PM
redmill
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilt or new 26/8 turbo - racing application

I am running a 944 in turboS configuration for PCA clubracing

There is some thoughts that the turbo seal may be going and the cause of a fresh drip. Mechanic pointed to some other behavior that may correlate that belief. Not confirmed yet, so we shall see.

I have had a terrible bit of luck with powersteering 'rebuilds'. I am not keen to do the same repeatedly throwing labor at rebuilt turbos. It seems paragon has them new for ~$2k

QUESTIONS:
Does anyone have direct experience racing a rebuilt standard 26/8 Turbo?

What would i expect the life expectancy to be on a rebuilt from a quality shop to be vs a New one?

8 hours seem right for the install?
Old 10-27-2014, 05:30 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

These turbos are pretty stout.

I would contact Charlie at Evergreen Turbo in FL.

Great guy and very knowledgeable who has worked on many turbos belonging to RL members.
Old 10-27-2014, 05:45 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

8 hours might be on the high end. Usually 6 for a standard mechanic. I've changed my own so many times, I can do a full change in about 4 or less hours, of course that's learning from past mistakes and knowing what tools work best
Old 10-27-2014, 09:08 PM
Tsmith84
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mahoney944
8 hours might be on the high end. Usually 6 for a standard mechanic. I've changed my own so many times, I can do a full change in about 4 or less hours, of course that's learning from past mistakes and knowing what tools work best
The 8 hours is not a matter of how long it will actually take. It reflects the upfront quoted price. Porsche warranty labor time for a turbocharger replacement is 7.9 hrs and standard is 11.1 per Alldata. So yes, 8 hours is a fair price for anyone asking a shop to do the work. Yes, it can be done faster and it could also take longer if things don't go smoothly.

An experienced and qualified rebuilder should not have an issue giving you a quality product and should be able to offer you a warranty that will meet the warranty of the new unit. And if you buy it through your mechanic, the part and labor should carry the stated warranty. If you buy it yourself and give it to the mechanic to install, you could save a couple bucks but are likely risking the labor portion of the warranty. Some parts companies will cover labor but at a pre-determined rate and hrs (usually alldata), so you may want to check that if you source the part yourself.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 PM
eman930
Banned

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I rebuilt my 26/8, got the kit online, just had a shop rebalance after I was done

Quick Reply: Rebuilt or new 26/8 turbo - racing application