Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

V8 Owners: How Does Your Car Sound?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 11:30 AM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts
Default V8 Owners: How Does Your Car Sound?

Last weekend I was about 5 cars back at a stop light and heard a slight cam chop coming from the front of the line. It turned out to be a 993 with sport exhaust etc. Yesterday, I was in New York City and a 997 pulled up at the light also with a sport exhaust and probably some other mods as well.
We have probably all heard the sound of a flat six with sport exhaust and most of us with V8 994/68s understand that the P-community at large has an issue with the conversion (but there seems to be a unanimous agreement on a modified flat six as being acceptable).
So if we put 2 and 2 together, the P-community should really despise a 944/68 sounding like a late model hot rodded Camaro...but who cares?
What does your sound like?
Post a sound file or a video! Here is an example of a cammed LS1 LINK
I would like for my conversion to be fairly quiet and not draw too much attention.
I'm looking for examples of what others have done and what the car sounds like when finished.
Thanks.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:02 PM
Reimu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They sound like trucks
Old 09-13-2014, 02:16 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

that's actually pretty arrogant considering how abjectly horrible 4-cylinder engines sound...

and NO it won't sound like a truck; not if he does his exhaust right.

not with a y-pipe then passing through one or even TWO Borla xr-1 or similar resonators, then a big *** muffler like the Vibrant shown below–it won't.

and especially not with a point source exhaust note coming out of 1 pipe.

and yes those are 3 1/2" inlet/outlets in the photos [to give proper scale to the massive sound deadening capacity] that will sweeten the whoopass.....

it'll be a good deal quieter than the Vette in the video, even w/ only 1 Borla... but, still sound every bit as good as @ 1:10.

let it play from 1:00~1:17.... and tell me an LS exhaust in proper tune sounds like a truck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpEY...etailpage#t=60

Attached Images   

Last edited by odurandina; 09-13-2014 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:40 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

V8 sound lol, Camaro, firebird, gto, silverado, Sierra they all sound the same.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:18 PM
xschop
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Won't be long and you'll hear a V-12 rumble.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:46 PM
David Floyd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xschop
Won't be long and you'll hear a V-12 rumble.
V-12 ?? Lol wow!!!
Old 09-13-2014, 08:50 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds mean as hell! It turns heads all the time, most people just dont expect the sound to come from a Porsche. Ive been to Hershey with it and many local PCA events and its always a crowd pleaser. Only have had 1 or 2 ask why... and frankly if you have to ask why you would never understand regardless of what i told you.

My car is fairly loud, long tubes to a 4" single exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler, it is cammed also; 226/230 113 LSA so it has the lopey idle. It drones a bit on the highway at around 2000-2300 rpm; once your past that its fine. Past 3500rpm at WOT it absolutely screams.

The 4" was probably overkill, at my power levels i think a 3" would have been sufficient. but seeing the 4" exhaust under the car does have some comical value.

Ive been considering putting a cat in to try and quiet it down a little. Ive heard a C5 Vette that was just as loud with resonators put on and it did very little to change the sound. Frankly the car makes some healthy power that i dont really care about losing any power with a cat... 380whp with basically just a cam and long tubes.

I have a few videos of it idling, dyno run and a couple of autocross runs. The video really does not do it justice simply because the microphone cant handle the sound...

The sound of a quick reving flat-6 with RS cams is unbeatable though.

If you want to keep it quiet, i would maybe go with a 2.5" dual exhaust and see about squeezing two mufflers in the back like TonyG previously had done on his car.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:20 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it Jon, awesome awesome awesome. Your car is perfect.

I also have 4" single exit. Mine goes.... custom mid length headers with 3" v-band collectors- to 3" v band y pipe with 4" collector- to dynomax bullet muffler 4" in/out straight through- 4" all the way back.

It sounds something fierce after 3k...
Next time I'm home I'll get a clip.

Name:  3whAMkP.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  2.25 MB

Attachment 1360816
Old 09-13-2014, 11:17 PM
pormgb
Racer

I run 2002 Camaro Cats into dual 2.5 collectors then into a single 3" pipe into a Magnaflow muffler, I then gutted Magnaflow muffler by cutting it and removing the sound deadening material. This mod gives a more refined higher pitch sound but is not too loud, it also adds a slight tinny sound.

I got this idea from a friend of mine who owns a V8 M3, he wanted to liven up his exhaust system without breaking the bank.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:25 PM
968gene
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by pormgb
I run 2002 Camaro Cats into dual 2.5 collectors then into a single 3" pipe into a Magnaflow muffler, I then gutted Magnaflow muffler by cutting it and removing the sound deadening material. This mod gives a more refined higher pitch sound but is not too loud, it also adds a slight tinny sound.

I got this idea from a friend of mine who owns a V8 M3, he wanted to liven up his exhaust system without breaking the bank.
Post a sound file!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:27 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.

insane pipes, Cale!

Duck: nice videos man!!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:48 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

pormgb, i am very likely moving to San Diego towards the end of the year. Would love to bring my 951 out also but after seeing how much work you went through to prepare for the smog ref. i think ill just leave it in NY haha. My car has none of the emissions stuff on it, it would be a real pain to retrofit everything.

Id like to get the exhaust redone eventually, its made up of a custom y-pipe section in stainless with a v-band connecting to a Lindsey Racing 4" catback. The fitment of the catback isnt the greatest. The guys that did the stainless y-pipe initially did a great job..but they basically ruined it by MIG welding the stainless flex joints on at the y-pipe section. When i picked the car up after i had those add them in i literally just shook my head and said 'all that great work and you guys just ruined it by MIG welding those flex joints on...'. Id like to basically get the entire thing done in stainless and also clearance the catback around the sway bar as it does tend to rub sometimes. Its low on the list of priorities; the car runs and it runs great!

Admiral, it would be great to see more details about your car also!

If anyone is interested, i have a fairly lengthy build thread on the 944Hybrids forum. I think i was fairly transparent with the issues and difficulties i had throughout the build.. no sense in hiding anything. I did not post one here because it probably would have ended up turning into a debate as to why it shouldn't be done and how i destroyed the car.

http://944hybrids.forumotion.com/t16...ls1-conversion

Last edited by Techno Duck; 09-14-2014 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:46 AM
odurandina
Team Owner

how ironic, some 944Ts were brought here as fine running, well sorted examples.... and tuned just right.

but too many cars were put in the rodeo; tuned, blown up, rebuilt, blown up again, and not long after, parted...

yet, [after all the lunacy], dare they ask, how many tubs converted to v8 – ended at the recycler?
Old 09-14-2014, 12:42 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Odu, there have been at least two 948's for sale around CA which were within of my budget, but what there is there to sell? LS parts are cheap I can buy a set of heads for a LS2 for $150 on eBay, and what else of a v8 conversion would be on high demand if only a handful of guys are doing the conversions? V8 conversions are sought and more valuable as a whole, but for us the parts guys they are worthless
Old 09-14-2014, 01:29 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Lart, if we're taking strictly about parting a 948 the money is there. I think more people would be apt to swap if the swap parts were offered second hand and at a discount. Yes, the engines and engine parts are cheap and that's the beauty of it. Someone can buy the necessary parts to swap, the engine, and whatever else and still be within a relatively small budget while accomplishing and yielding such profound results. Second hand swap parts when put on the market sell EXTREMELY quick. Plus you'd have the rest of the car to part out, making a good profit. Also buying the car with an LS, you aren't confined to selling the engine to the 944 world, but to almost every automotive niche... classics, bmws, 240sx, rx7, etc... many many people want an ls in their chassis. It's really not a bad purchase from a wreckers standpoint, the parts are guaranteed to move quickly.

Quick Reply: V8 Owners: How Does Your Car Sound?