Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

odometer rollback?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 06:16 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't bid on it without a PPI by a 944 mechanic you selected and paid. The miles are probably less important than the condition of the car.

I guess you could always make your bid conditional on inspection, but how can you do that on eBay?

Anyone could walk away from a bid for the smallest reason.

Why not wait for the auction to end, and then deal with the seller offline?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:22 PM
Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It is more than easy to keep odometer readings low on these cars. All you have to do is unplug the sensor on the transaxel. Instantly you will accrue no more miles, but you will also not have a speedometer.

So as was stated above, the best method of determining if a low mileage car is suspect, is to look for overall wear, seat bolsters, steering wheel, shift lever, clutch and brake petal, paint chips, etc.

You can also ask leading questions like, how many belt changes has this car had (30,000 miles per belt), Water pumps (60,000 miles per pump), Clutches (80,000 per). All mileages are approximate, but they will give you clues to the honesty of the odometer.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:30 AM
nove442002
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was looking for a 951. I saw an ad for one that claimed it had only 50k. The owner even said I could do a car fax. I did not have to, as it had maybe 200 k on it. The seats were very worn, the pedals, the motor just looked shot. I would walk away from it. You can find a clean one where it might be first or second owner and get all the history. I found one with 72 k on it and paid only 9k about 2 years ago. I bet it is only worth about 7k now. It has only 81k on it now.. These cars are not that easy to sell. Find a seller who is serious about selling it. You should be able to get a deal. BTW these are great cars. I think they are underated, most people in my area , Chicago do not even know what type of car it is. Which is nice u can get a deal PS my car is a 1988 turbo{not the S}
Old 08-14-2003, 03:34 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I actually rolled the odo on my 944 NA <forward> - I knew the odo had been broken for approx X miles, and rolled it forward that much.

Sam
Old 08-14-2003, 04:29 AM
951lover
Cruisin'

Well, I test drove it and it seemed pretty nice, no major/very obvious mechanical problem. The problem is he has replaced all the parts that would get worn easily, the seats, the steering wheel, the shift ****, granted with better, more expensive ones, but its hard to tell just by looking at the interior how old it is. I brought the carfax report up and he said he ran the same thing when he bought it a year ago from a dealer, their excuse was that the car was in Argentina, and had been converted from Kilometers to Miles........yeah.....thats about the wierdest thing I have ever heard. Especially since there is no record of it and it was first sold in New Jersey. Miles-->Kilometers-->Miles??? With NO record......

Anyway, it drove very well, but all that buisness is a little sketchy and the body work still scares me. Mabye I'll offer him 5 grand and let him stew a month on that. After all, pregnant wives tend to lean hard when they need the money

Oh well, either I will get it super cheap, or wait for another to come along....Thanks for all your input and help. It has been greatly apreciated and very helpful.

Later
Old 08-14-2003, 09:03 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Well, do all the other usual things - ask to see all maintenance records, and take it to a good local Porsche shop for a pre-purchase inspection - you choose the shop and pay of course, he just provides the car, shouldn't be over $100, and will tell you the truth about the car.

Sam
Old 08-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Instructor

Along these same lines, my odometer jumped from 160k to 560K almost overnite. Anyone had that experience?

Quick Reply: odometer rollback?