Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

odometer rollback?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2003, 02:39 PM
951lover
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odometer rollback?

Hey, I am looking at buying a new(ish) 951 its an 87 with 59k miles, but I just ran a carfax report on it and it said at last selling it had over 90k. So, my question....Is it possible that carfax is wrong? Is it hard/impossible to roll back the odo on these cars? or Am i trying to buy a car from a lying ****? Bah, anyway, thanks for your input.

Later
Old 08-12-2003, 02:39 PM
951lover
Cruisin'

FYI its a turbo.....incase that matters.
Old 08-12-2003, 02:43 PM
bdellis
Rennlist Member

the odometer was probaby replaced. Our cars have a problem with resetting the trip odometer while driving. and thus it causes the odometer gear to strip out. He probably bought a used or new one with less or no miles. I would look at it as worst case. the car probably had at least 90 k on it when it broke. add another 10k for the time he drove it before it was replaced, then you have to determine if you think he put an odometer in there with 0 mile or more? hopefuly he will be up front and show you all the paper work so you know for sure. If it was done correctly there will be a sticker in the drivers door that stats the original odometer milage and the milage of the new odometer when put in. that way you add the two and get the total milage.

hope this helps out,
Old 08-12-2003, 02:56 PM
951lover
Cruisin'

Thanks bdellis....

I was also wondering, 59K and 90K+ is more than 30K miles of difference, would there be another way of verifing the milage, is there some part that would be obviously overworn, or old. I know it has has a new paint job, and a fender replaced. As well as the struts and springs, but those were for "performance enhancements"....

The way I think it is, is that the owner now bought it with low miles, he has put alot of uneccisary crap in it, like recaro seats, and a new sound system, blah, blah, blah, and I think if he knew, he would have started replacing other things. Who knows, people are weird.

Again, thanks in advance for your opinons....

Later
Old 08-12-2003, 03:05 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

If your looking at the one on e-bay from Utah I doubt that car has 59K on it. It looks a little beat up, the front seats have been changed, and the buy it now price is really cheap. Since he maintains it himself I'd say he's probably mechanically inclined enough to change the speedometer/cluster.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:08 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

It's very easy to roll back the odo on these cars.

Sam
Old 08-12-2003, 03:18 PM
951lover
Cruisin'

Wow, i just checked Ebay. He must have just listed it. Its funny, he fails to mention the bondo smeared all over the rear drivers fender, the massive overspray on the front fender that was "hit by a rock". And last but not least, the kick panel things that are barely hanging on.....well, good luck to him. Its hard for me to buy a car for 8 grand with over 5 grand in body work looming in the next 6 months....oh well.
Old 08-12-2003, 09:56 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Sam Lin

Sam
Yep.....be careful.....
Old 08-13-2003, 01:30 AM
emilysgranny
Pro

look at the clutch and brake pedal pads.
Old 08-13-2003, 02:07 AM
krickmann
Instructor

I had the unpleasant experience a few years ago of someone trying to sell me a 951 with a rolled back odometer. In this case, the seller was being intentionally fraudulent. He repeatedly insisted that the low mileage was original, even after I had established he was the owner during the last state emissions check reflecting a much higher mileage listed on the Car Fax report.
I contacted the city's Central Investigations Division, forwarded his ad and the Car FAx report to them and filed a complaint. They in turn forwarded the case to the Department of Weights and Measure who investigated his mileage claim. When confronted with the evidence, he confessed that he had replaced the instrument cluster. The vehicle's title was flagged reflecting an inaccurate odometer status. That way the next buyer at least knew the mileage was incorrect.
Some people's kids!
Old 08-13-2003, 02:30 AM
BallGoFar
Intermediate

For what it's worth, I'm currently in the market for a 951 myself and have been for a few months. I've seen this car all over the internet and have been thinking it's only a matter of time before the guy slaps it up on Ebay. I've seen it for sale on Pelican and on Cars.com among others. All told he's been trying to sell it for a couple of months now.

What are the odds that there's a 1987 951 out there that's supposedly well sorted with 59K miles that's selling for UNDER $9000.00 and hasn't been snapped up? Something's definately not right with this car!

Oh and while we're on the subject, there is one on cars.com that's an 86 with 61,800 miles for sale for $10,500 in Chicago, I flew up there to look at it and it's a piece of CRAP! If anyone wants to know more about what I saw with my own eyes, pm or email me but stay away from that one too!

This is the one in Chicago:

http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/s...onal&src=&cid=
Old 08-13-2003, 03:25 PM
951lover
Cruisin'

Well, I'm about to go test drive it. In 2 hours to be exact. I'll let you know what i find out. I'm going to show him the carfax report, we will see what he says. Hopefully he will change his add on EBay.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Madant26x
Racer

Originally posted by Sam Lin

Sam
How so? Becasue of the problems with the odometer gear?
Old 08-13-2003, 04:27 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have heard about the brake and clutch pad inspection method but I've never heard exactly how you are supposed to gauge the wear. I guess if it is worn through to the metal or brand new, those would be bad signs.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:57 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by MaDAnT26x
How so? Becasue of the problems with the odometer gear?
If you have to take the gauge cluster apart to replace the broken odo gear (like me last year, thanks Scott for the part!), you'll understand. The speedometer/odometer is fairly easy to take apart and once it's apart it's a simple jumble of the rollers and whalaah! An instant low mileage car!

At least, this is true on the 85.5 and later cars. Not too sure about the early ones...

Tifo

(and no, I didn't roll mine back.............)

Quick Reply: odometer rollback?