Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Argh yet again... misfire over 5000rpm

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 08:50 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Attached are the pics of the fuse panel connection. Pretty simple.

Put about 100 miles on the car today after I swapped in my spare caliper. (On a side note, I think I might really have a problem. Caliper leaking? No prob, I'll just dig out my spares..... My wife looked at me last night and said, "You have SPARE brake calipers?!?" Like I said, I think I have a problem...)

So anyways, 100 miles or so. No misfires. Actually ran great. 80 degrees outside. Stuffed my rear wheels in the hatch and ran it down to a buddy's shop for new rear tires... DE this weekend (woo-boo!)

But I noticed I have low vacuum at idle now. It used to be 17-18, now it's 13-14. I disabled the ICV and it struggled to hold 500 no matter where I set the idle screw. Makes boost fine, AFR's are right where they should be... just odd. Seems like some sort of vac leak (?) I'll have to do a pressure test later this week (and comb the RL archives). Kinda sick of working on it, happy it's running as good as it is, just going to enjoy it for a little while.

Thanks everybody for the long term efforts to help. Special call outs (not in any special order) to Shawn, Sid, Chris, Tom - this is what RL is all about!
Attached Images   
Old 09-29-2014, 09:14 PM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what's more impressive:
1- you solved the problem. ( nice work) I hate electrical problems.
2- you had a spare caliper or
3- your wife seems to have a good idea of what a caliper is

I vote for 3
Old 09-29-2014, 10:19 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

congratulations
Bet it feels pretty good.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:30 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Haha thanks guys!
Old 09-30-2014, 03:28 AM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Nice going, Jim.

Well, you could have fooled me, not that I saw your B+ wire routing in person but it seemed far away enough from everything per your description. It just goes to show how carefully everything is planned out at the factory, and that decades-later aftermarket modifications and wiring are not taken into account.

The founder of my shop also has an '86 951, and he had long cranking issues for ages until he got around to installing that updated speed/ref sensor bracket per the old school factory TSB. My 8/85 production car has never had such issues, and I don't know if it is installed or not.

In either case, try to enjoy a track event or two before you get snowed in!
Old 09-30-2014, 10:12 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Attached are the pics of the fuse panel connection. Pretty simple.

Put about 100 miles on the car today after I swapped in my spare caliper. (On a side note, I think I might really have a problem. Caliper leaking? No prob, I'll just dig out my spares..... My wife looked at me last night and said, "You have SPARE brake calipers?!?" Like I said, I think I have a problem...)

So anyways, 100 miles or so. No misfires. Actually ran great. 80 degrees outside. Stuffed my rear wheels in the hatch and ran it down to a buddy's shop for new rear tires... DE this weekend (woo-boo!)

But I noticed I have low vacuum at idle now. It used to be 17-18, now it's 13-14. I disabled the ICV and it struggled to hold 500 no matter where I set the idle screw. Makes boost fine, AFR's are right where they should be... just odd. Seems like some sort of vac leak (?) I'll have to do a pressure test later this week (and comb the RL archives). Kinda sick of working on it, happy it's running as good as it is, just going to enjoy it for a little while.

Thanks everybody for the long term efforts to help. Special call outs (not in any special order) to Shawn, Sid, Chris, Tom - this is what RL is all about!
Nice pictures, which fuse/ relay does that run off of once you've tapped into pin 22?
Old 09-30-2014, 01:32 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Droops83
Nice going, Jim.

Well, you could have fooled me, not that I saw your B+ wire routing in person but it seemed far away enough from everything per your description. It just goes to show how carefully everything is planned out at the factory, and that decades-later aftermarket modifications and wiring are not taken into account.

The founder of my shop also has an '86 951, and he had long cranking issues for ages until he got around to installing that updated speed/ref sensor bracket per the old school factory TSB. My 8/85 production car has never had such issues, and I don't know if it is installed or not.

In either case, try to enjoy a track event or two before you get snowed in!
Yeah it's funny how the factory stuff is just kinda "laying" in there without issues. Certainly opens my eyes to potential future problems. I'll say I definitely learned a lot. After beating my head against the brick wall with this thing all summer, few problems seem too difficult to tackle now LOL!

As for the updated bracket... I *did* have the occasional "kick back" yesterday, even WITH the updated ref sensor bracket. Just not nearly as pronounced.... and certainly much less frequent. For now it's just worth dealing - pulling that bracket SUCKED, and in the event I ever have to pull the bellhousing, I don't want to pull that damned bracket again. Leaving it slotted!

Snow isn't too far away, though I'll usually put the car away well before the first snowfall. My general rule is I'll drive the car until the first "salt", which is usually late October or early November. (They throw salt down on the roads when it gets wet and cold enough to freeze...) PCA's last track event of the year is this coming weekend, and (weather permitting) two other local tracks usually have an open event or two towards the end of October. I've barely driven the car at all this year, so hopefully I can get out there a bit.

I'm a little paranoid over this low vac/low idle thing... hopefully it's something simple. I'll do a pressure test tonight to see if I can find any leaks. Wondering if I've somehow got an intake gasket out of place or something, since I DID have good idle and idle vacuum before I pulled the intake manifold. For sure all the accessory stuff that runs off of vacuum (FPR, damper, MAP sensor, BOV) all *hold* vacuum just fine as tested with my MityVac so it's gotta be something else.

Originally Posted by mahoney944
Nice pictures, which fuse/ relay does that run off of once you've tapped into pin 22?
I don't recall off the top of my head. It's in the service manual - vol 4. electrical. Start around page 175 in the PDF.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:51 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim, do you know when they started using an updated sensor bracket? Also, did you happen to snap a pic of the difference?
Old 09-30-2014, 06:58 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ramius665
Jim, do you know when they started using an updated sensor bracket? Also, did you happen to snap a pic of the difference?
Sometime in '87 IIRC?

There was a TSB out on it. (Attached) I found the TSB here on RL.

The difference between the two brackets is that the later bracket has a sheath that the reference sensor (one closest to the block) slides in to, that's pretty much the length of the entire sensor.
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2014, 11:24 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Idle issue resolved. Vac line fell off. W00T!
Old 10-01-2014, 03:39 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
Sometime in '87 IIRC? I found the TSB here on RL.
Did the factory ever end up going back to non-slotted bell housings in '88 or '89?
Old 10-01-2014, 05:38 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice good job
Old 10-06-2014, 12:52 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Well... car ran great all weekend! I think it's safe to call it "resolved". Wish it ran this well when I was at Laguna earlier this year!

Managed to knock .64s off my personal best from a few years ago at Blackhawk Farms (local track) and took BIG chunks off my consistent laps (probably 1-1.5s on average). Honestly I'm not sure how I squeaked out my old best lap based on how much better the car feels now....

Found myself up into the rev-limiter a few times exiting a few corners - car is happy to keep revving (and revving cleanly!)

The last session of the weekend, they relax the passing rules a bit in the Black group and we get an hour-long session vs. the usual 30... good times were had. I'll have video eventually, going to take me a while to pick through it all. Had a couple good inside moves

Running on 180TW street tires held me back against all the other guys on Hoosiers.... had to use the HP to pull around folks LOL!
Old 09-10-2022, 11:59 AM
czentner
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to resurrect this thread to let you know that your documentation of your issue allowed me to solve the same issue without pulling my hair out or burning the car to the ground. I don't know how I would have found this solution if not for this thread.

In my case, I pulled the engine to do a full reseal. Since it was out, I did the Nissan Quest alternator mod. When putting it back in, I completely forgot how the alternator wire was routed from factory, and the Nissan alt is physically shorter than the old Bosch one, which makes the stock wiring a little bit too short.

I was stuck in a loop of my mechanic saying it's the tune, my tuner saying it's the car before I found this thread. I ziptied the alt wire to the firewall and ziptied the sensor wires away and now it revs cleanly. Thank you!

Quick Reply: Argh yet again... misfire over 5000rpm