Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

another one of those "which turbo" threads

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 11:44 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
What kind of port work will you have done on the 2.7 head, if any, and do you plan to run the stock intake?

The only GT30-sized turbo I would use on a 3L would be a GTX3071R 1.06 with the stock intake, but I would move right away to a GT35-sized turbo with a "better" intake (LR or else), GT3582R, HTA3582R, GTX3576R or GTX3582R.
No porting work planned for the 2.7, and using the stock intake. Right now, I'm debating going with a full sfr 2 stage header setup. the intake will come later.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:43 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

^ Sounds like the same attributes in my build. I've had this question burning in my mind as well.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:59 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dizzyj, what is your HP target? That should be the very first parameter chosen.

Then the engine displacement and mods follow from that HP target and the last step is choosing a turbo that has the flow-rate and pressure-ratios you need to hit your HP target.

Depending upon whether you wan 400bhp or 600bhp, the boost you need to run given your displacement and mods will be different and path through the compressor maps will be different. There's no one universal turbo that'll do both optimally. None of this "oh, I'll just run low boost now and turn it up later.". You'll end up with a turbo that'll laggy at 400bhp and falls flat on its face after 5000rpm at 600bhp.

Garrett GT turbos are incremental improvements over their T-series, which is World War II technology. IHI, Precision, Comp Turbo and BW EFR turbos are way, way better and more efficient. So what's your HP target?
Old 02-28-2015, 01:54 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JacRyann
dizzyj, what is your HP target? That should be the very first parameter chosen.

Then the engine displacement and mods follow from that HP target and the last step is choosing a turbo that has the flow-rate and pressure-ratios you need to hit your HP target.

Depending upon whether you wan 400bhp or 600bhp, the boost you need to run given your displacement and mods will be different and path through the compressor maps will be different. There's no one universal turbo that'll do both optimally. None of this "oh, I'll just run low boost now and turn it up later.". You'll end up with a turbo that'll laggy at 400bhp and falls flat on its face after 5000rpm at 600bhp.

Garrett GT turbos are incremental improvements over their T-series, which is World War II technology. IHI, Precision, Comp Turbo and BW EFR turbos are way, way better and more efficient. So what's your HP target?
I'd like to get as much hp as possible while maintaining a reliable and reasonably cost effective race motor. I don't have a specific hp goal. It doesn't make sense for me to say 600hp and have the motor only last 1 race. I'm targeting no more than 15lbs of boost as I feel that's the upper bounds of a reliable motor.

Why do you feel the precision are more efficient? I can't find any specific data (compressor maps ect) for those.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:38 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
I'd like to get as much hp as possible while maintaining a reliable and reasonably cost effective race motor. I don't have a specific hp goal. It doesn't make sense for me to say 600hp and have the motor only last 1 race. I'm targeting no more than 15lbs of boost as I feel that's the upper bounds of a reliable motor.

Why do you feel the precision are more efficient? I can't find any specific data (compressor maps ect) for those.
Precision has excellent results, as do other modern turbos such as the GTX series, EFR series, and HTA. Once you choose the right size turbo for your needs there's only small differences between the brands.

I have a PTE 5558 CEA on my 2.85L engine and it's great at 17psi, very responsive, quick spool and has the capacity to support over 500hp if I decide to crank it up someday. This turbo is similar in size, spoolup and overall power capacity to the GTX3071. The EFR 7670 is also a contender.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:53 PM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

ETA : Please remove.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:46 PM
JacRyann
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long time ago, about 15-years, Precision used to buy turbos from Garrett. Then they'd modify them and get better results than the original Garrett model. So Garrett cut them off. Similar thing with the Tial turbos based upon Garetts; they'll outperform similar-spec Garretts. That's why Garrett is cutting Tial off now as well; too embarrassing to have their old WWII technology improved so easily by 3rd parties.

Don't get boost mixed up with flow&mass. The 1st part to go is usually the headgasket. At 400bhp, it will experience the exact same BMEP and stress with 25psi on stock 2.5l or 20psi on a 2.5l with intake, head and exhaust mods. Boost is only an indicator of restrictions in the engine, but doesn't predict anything about internal stresses. Ultimately, it's the quality of the tune that determines reliability and durability regardless of boost level. So count on a standalone EFI, wideband O2 and lots of dyno tuning.

With your configuration of 3.3l w/8v head, using 15psi will put you in the 350-380bhp range. So a matching turbo would be a GTX28 series, BW S200 series, BW EFR-6258, Comp Turbo CT12x series. All these are good for the 350-500bhp range.

Last edited by JacRyann; 02-28-2015 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:25 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by JacRyann
Long time ago, about 15-years, Precision used to buy turbos from Garrett. Then they'd modify them and get better results than the original Garrett model. So Garrett cut them off. Similar thing with the Tial turbos based upon Garetts; they'll outperform similar-spec Garretts. That's why Garrett is cutting Tial off now as well; too embarrassing to have their old WWII technology improved so easily by 3rd parties.

Don't get boost mixed up with flow&mass. The 1st part to go is usually the headgasket. At 400bhp, it will experience the exact same BMEP and stress with 25psi on stock 2.5l or 20psi on a 2.5l with intake, head and exhaust mods. Boost is only an indicator of restrictions in the engine, but doesn't predict anything about internal stresses. Ultimately, it's the quality of the tune that determines reliability and durability regardless of boost level. So count on a standalone EFI, wideband O2 and lots of dyno tuning.

With your configuration of 3.3l w/8v head, using 15psi will put you in the 350-380bhp range. So a matching turbo would be a GTX28 series, BW S200 series, BW EFR-6258, Comp Turbo CT12x series. All these are good for the 350-500bhp range.
The reason the head gaskets go on these cars under compression is primarily due to the cylinders moving around unless you girdle them.

Yes those turbos will work but dependent on when and where you want your power band.

I have a 3.0 l with a GT30 making 425 bhp dyno'd at 16 psi boost. So I would anticipate significantly more with a 3.3 l, probably in the realm of 475 to 500 depending turbo and what boost he will be pushing.

In which case he is going to make me go bigger.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:51 AM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

ok, so I now have a reason to go t4 flange, so I'm swinging back around to Precision. I like the idea of the ceramic dbb (no water). I'd like to target the efficiency ~5k rpms. i.e. more mid boost that pure peak performance. so in a precision, go with a 6262, 6266 or kick it up to a 6466? .68 ar or .81 ar?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:16 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dizzyj
ok, so I now have a reason to go t4 flange, so I'm swinging back around to Precision. I like the idea of the ceramic dbb (no water). I'd like to target the efficiency ~5k rpms. i.e. more mid boost that pure peak performance. so in a precision, go with a 6262, 6266 or kick it up to a 6466? .68 ar or .81 ar?
Out of those choices I'd recommend the Gen2 6266 with .81 ar. On a 3 liter BMW I've seen that turbo spool up at 3500rpm. It can make up to 800 hp.

Quick Reply: another one of those "which turbo" threads