Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What size cooler for power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 07:15 AM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

If your not tracking the car or live in the south then no need to worry. I like to upgrade my 951 so I used a AGA P/S resivior and am using my stock engine oil cooler for the P/S system. The more fluid you can hold the better, and a LR 3x oil cooler for my engine oil.
Old 03-01-2017, 12:20 PM
Dubai944
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I ran several years racing in Dubai heat, typically 1 hour races, with 285 wide front slicks, an electric pump and the stock ps reservoir and cooler loop and had zero heat issues.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:55 PM
Mach 5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering failed at DE

I recently installed a new AAE power steering pump from Rock Auto. Worked fine, even at one DE, until yesterday at Gingerman Raceway in MI. During my second stint, the PS failed. When I came into the pits, the belt was still in place, no strange sounds, but the fluid was foaming in the reservoir. I assumed the pump was toast. My son and I were both driving it, so it was seeing double duty, i.e., an hour of track time per stint. We finished out the day, building up our arm strength. We towed it home that evening, and when I started it up and backed it off the dolly, the PS was working again. Strange.

I'm wondering if we just boiled the fluid. However, I see some posts in this thread where guys with much more substantial front rubber than what we run (225/50-16), don't even use a cooler. Do I rebuild the pump? Replace the pump with a ZF? Install a larger cooler? Take off the belt and "drive it like a man"?

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

Roger
Old 08-21-2017, 03:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

go to the boneyard and find a 1980s/1990s rwd volvo, they have a great little PS (maybe A/T?) cooler in front of the radiator made by Setrab. you can probably get it for $20.

approximately 8.5L x 6T x 1.5W", approx. 6mm flare fittings

Old 08-21-2017, 07:41 PM
Humboldtgrin
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Your power steering rack may need the seals replaced? Just thinking if the steering rack has a small leak when turning one way it could suck in air going to other way. Last I checked aerating any oil breaks it's capabilities down from doing its job. Food for thought.

Quick Reply: What size cooler for power steering?