Valve Guides installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:43 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
You could try running the correct size reamer down the guides, if it runs through easily then try the new valves in them and check for play ?
I don't have the correct reamer size, i don't think i even have an adjustable one that small. It's imperial unfortunately. We don't do much imperial here. 0.343" = 8.7122mm
Old 08-02-2014, 10:13 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

OK your call, you could turn some bar down to that dia and see how it passes through the guide.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Well it happened when i took the valves out. i cleaned the stems but upon removal something gripped and scratched it.

Even if the scratch is there, my worries are if it can cause further issues down the track. The material is softer then the SS valves so the valve stems wont damage.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:33 AM
Pirrex
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps I could use this thread for my question.
Previous owner had a timing belt failure twice, and I bought the car from him after he had enough. After the first failure the valves were replaced together with new guides and stem seals, and now I need 16 new valves, and I assume I need new guides too even though these don't have many miles behind, right?

To my question; Should i buy "1st replacement" guides for this rebuild together with new valves? I see the AE valves are really cheap, but are they any good? The head will come on my N/A 944 S, but i prefer to ask here on the Turbo section due to much more life than the N/A side.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:06 PM
Spidey944
Rennlist Member

Most people do not replace guides again unless the car is heavily tracked, or if there is evidence of a guide problem. The car I purchased with a timing belt failure and valve-piston contact did not need the guides done when I replaced the valves.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:58 AM
Adonay
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Pirrex
Perhaps I could use this thread for my question.
Previous owner had a timing belt failure twice, and I bought the car from him after he had enough. After the first failure the valves were replaced together with new guides and stem seals, and now I need 16 new valves, and I assume I need new guides too even though these don't have many miles behind, right?

To my question; Should i buy "1st replacement" guides for this rebuild together with new valves? I see the AE valves are really cheap, but are they any good? The head will come on my N/A 944 S, but i prefer to ask here on the Turbo section due to much more life than the N/A side.
Most likely you don't have to change them.
Just test the guide by removing a valve "clean the guide and valve" and put the valve back, check if its a loose fit by wiggle a little.
You should be able to get the valve to bounce by vacuum if you plug the valve stem seal area with your finger and pull the valve outwards before letting go of it "should pull back inn".
Mine were over 4 years old when i checked them a week ago and they were fine. Its normal for exhaust stems to be more worn than the intake valve one.

Changing guides is a PITA were you need dry-ice and good tools/press equipment

Quick Reply: Valve Guides installation