Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Aero for the track guys... a basic resource.

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 01:39 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Check out these gauges;
http://www.dwyer-inst.com/Product/Pr...ges/Series2000
They're perfect for measuring the difference in pressure from one area to another. You can put one line of the gauge in front of the firewall in the engine compartment, and the other line in the vent fan/windshield base area and see if air is flowing in or out.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:04 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Cyril, when the Aero guy looked at our car he suggested trying to seal that area off rather than open it further.

Judging by your avatar it looks like you have the similar side hood vents that I have and I think that generic central vent up front. This is all good, however if given a blank sheet or should I say, hood, you can improve upon what you already have. Our hood side louvres are too 'soft' and could be made much more aggressive. Same with your central vent. The front of the louvres can be much more aggressive in how they point upwards. Hard to put in words. If you look at Time Attack cars or some other modern race cars you'll notice the vents are on a much sharper angle. See the front of our central vent, more like that. Something that we will get around too on our other vents too. The bottom pic is good as it shows three different vents. The central hood vent is best. The fender vents are ok. The hood vents are not so good. The fender vents are still too 'soft' as shown in this pic from last year. Evacuating air from the rear of the fenders is really good too. (Near the door) That's why we have opened up ours even further and also modified the side rocker panels to provide a clearer path for pressure to be evacuated.

To continue in context. We have removed all the dive planes / canards as shown in the bottom pic. They mostly caused drag and dirty air to the rear of the car. Yes, they have an effect on the wing. We have a much smaller arrangement and have seen improved performance overall. Aero is very interesting and complicated. I don't pretend to know much but still find it amazing that small changes can have big effects.
Attached Images   
Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 AM
Cyril
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very interesting. Thank you Patrick.
I agree our hood vents are too soft.
I am now definitely working on those aero tools and developments.
Actually, I will receive my wing next week and I will build my own splitter.
Side skirts, fenders openings, undertray and diffuser are on my list.
Patrick, I will definitely follow your aero developments.

Quick Reply: Aero for the track guys... a basic resource.