Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Possible excessive crankcase pressure.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 06:34 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible excessive crankcase pressure.

I'm now replacing the o rings on the air/oil separator because of an oil leak. Under boost, the dip stick is forced up about 1/8" and I've noticed fresh oil being sprayed on the inside of the hood just above the dip stick. We are installing a new crankcase pressure relief valve, not the one on the motor, the little plastic piece that's against the firewall.

I'll be doing some additional tuning later in the week, and hopefully this was the culprit.

Any of you ever had this issue with your dipstick? I'm scratching my head over this one. Thanks in advance for any input.

G
Old 07-08-2014, 07:35 PM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How old is the dipstick and what style is it? I believe they made a change from 86 to 87.

I had the same thing happen on a new engine so was kind of freaking out. My engine is built off an 86 block and had the old style dipstick. The o-ring on the old stick was shot too. I replaced with a new dipstick and all is good.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:02 PM
George D
Drifting

It's from a 1994 968. I'll check that and maybe add a new o ring, if that doesn't work, a new dipstick. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2014, 10:02 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just zip tie it down as a precaution. I've always done that.

Get you axles fixed? Might want to read my thread. I think I have an additional solutiin.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:02 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George D
We are installing a new crankcase pressure relief valve, not the one on the motor, the little plastic piece that's against the firewall.

G
Where's this plastic pressure relief valve you're talking about?
I didn't know that even exsisted.
The one on the motor; you mean the AOS?
Old 07-09-2014, 12:04 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

N/a

Last edited by raleighBahn; 07-09-2014 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:21 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Are you using a separate oil catch can? Have you enlarged the opening at the outlet (top) of the factory AOS?

I can't say that the configuration I run will remedy this problem, but by drilling out the restriction at the top of the factory AOS vent and running a separate catch can that is routed to the intake for vacuum, I've not had any crankcase pressure issues running 24 psi.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:24 AM
thingo
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had that issue, if I recall it was solved by putting an oil restrictor on the turbo, was after a rebuild.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:49 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pauerman
Are you using a separate oil catch can? Have you enlarged the opening at the outlet (top) of the factory AOS?

I can't say that the configuration I run will remedy this problem, but by drilling out the restriction at the top of the factory AOS vent and running a separate catch can that is routed to the intake for vacuum, I've not had any crankcase pressure issues running 24 psi.
Yes. Funny, Blown 944 and many others have told me to ZIP TIE it down. Cracks me up, but if it remedies the issue....I'm Zipping.

G
Old 07-09-2014, 03:53 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by blown 944

Get you axles fixed? Might want to read my thread. I think I have an additional solutiin.
I've got to do some measurements. Trust me, the Drive Shaft Shop messed up, so I'm running one factory 968 axle and one DSS stage one axle. I need to put the CV back on another axle to take measurements. Tired of the grease, and trust me, if factory 968 axles and CV's fit, and theirs don't, it's not my car that's incorrect. Just saying.

G
Old 07-09-2014, 04:11 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by blown 944

Sid,

Does your thread include the 968 trans? Haven't seen anything other than making the DSS warranty their 1000' pound axles in my application. Trust, we'll get this square. It's just money, time, and patience. Taking the time to measure the CV movement as compared to stock hasn't been easily done. I think they should simply send me axles with CV's that f****** fit. Call me crazy, but I tore apart one of the CV's from a stage two axle to make one side using their stage one work while using a factory 968 axle on the passenger side. Their new boots are a bitch to get back on!

I have a day job. My time is relevant.

G
Old 07-09-2014, 04:19 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
Where's this plastic pressure relief valve you're talking about?
I didn't know that even exsisted.
The one on the motor; you mean the AOS?
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/po...052311_944.gif

It's 48/49. Trust me, it's not relevant, but my car didn't have this factory piece, now it does. Who knows, if this $15 part helps, I'm grateful.

G
Old 07-09-2014, 04:33 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by George D
Sid,

Does your thread include the 968 trans? Haven't seen anything other than making the DSS warranty their 1000' pound axles in my application. Trust, we'll get this square. It's just money, time, and patience. Taking the time to measure the CV movement as compared to stock hasn't been easily done. I think they should simply send me axles with CV's that f****** fit. Call me crazy, but I tore apart one of the CV's from a stage two axle to make one side using their stage one work while using a factory 968 axle on the passenger side. Their new boots are a bitch to get back on!

I have a day job. My time is relevant.

G
So George, where are you at with the resolution with those axles? Thought it wouldn't have been too hard for the D-Shop to make up correctly sized axles to fit the later CVs?
Old 07-09-2014, 04:46 AM
George D
Drifting

Originally Posted by 333pg333
So George, where are you at with the resolution with those axles? Thought it wouldn't have been too hard for the D-Shop to make up correctly sized axles to fit the later CVs?
Patrick,

I made axles from the DSS stage one, and a factory 968 axle using one of the CV's from the stage one's and a 968 factory axle.

During this, I clipped the seal on one of the stage 2 axles, finding out the CV didn't fit on the splines attempting to fit the CV on a stage one axle. Hence ordering factory 968 axles. The Stage 1 axles fit fine, stage 2 don't. Shared your chassis remedy to fit, hence we're likely the only 968 stage 2 axles to date. Dave says otherwise. It's unlikely your chassis required any movement to fit.

I'll privately share the results with you.

G
Old 07-09-2014, 04:58 AM
hot-J
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also had this problem. I solved it with a CEP aos delete kit, and additionaly adding AN -8 fittings to my catch can AND MAF to tie it all together with no possible leaks. The setup is for sale. PM me if your interested.

Quick Reply: Possible excessive crankcase pressure.