Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Exhaust Leak on crossover pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 10:03 AM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Exhaust Leak on crossover pipe?

So after getting the new engine in the car, I've been fixing annoying items, cracked fuel rail, new power steering pump, new motor mounts and tranny mounts. All seem to be going well then I noticed my boost didn't seem to be coming on as strong.

Turns out there is a leak on the crossover flange that connects to the turbo Its not the bolts being loose there is a crack in the weld. Looking forward to doing this project....again.

Question...I assume this could be repaired fairly easy by someone who knows how to weld ss? Or would should I look for a good used one?

I already had the lindsey mod done, so I would rather not pay for to have that done again.

Lastly does anyone make a new "stock" crossover or two piece? Meaning it would mate up to stock headers? I see custom ones, but they require me to buy the headers too....pricey.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:39 PM
ncbrock
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't the crossover pipe inconel? Fairly similar to SS for a welders point of view but still a little different.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:04 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ncbrock
Isn't the crossover pipe inconel? Fairly similar to SS for a welders point of view but still a little different.
Yep, anyone that is good at TIGing SS should be able to weld it up.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:26 PM
ekoz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by admiralkhole
Yep, anyone that is good at TIGing SS should be able to weld it up.
Thanks...hopefully I can find "anyone that is good". I thought the whole system was SS. At least I thought that is what the dealer told me when I had a pinhole on my 924S about 18 years ago. Good to know its inconel.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:18 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ekoz
Thanks...hopefully I can find "anyone that is good". I thought the whole system was SS. At least I thought that is what the dealer told me when I had a pinhole on my 924S about 18 years ago. Good to know its inconel.
I just saw this
I had the same issue with my crossover pipe. I actually tested it before I sent it to Lindsey to get the segmented the crossover done by them
They welded it for me for an extra charge
Oh, they did a good job
Good luck
Regards
Ed
Old 07-10-2014, 05:04 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Pictures of the leak
Attached Images   
Old 07-10-2014, 05:10 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

The factory welds are a joke. The welds inside are so large (notably on the downpipe) that the inner pipe diameter is often smaller where the welds are.

I always have headers and cross pipe flanges rewelded on the outside to avoid that issue, and by then you can grind out the inner welds that take too much space inside the pipes.

Quick Reply: Exhaust Leak on crossover pipe?