Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MAF vs. Standalone

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 06:37 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Although owning one of these cars has meant learning as much as I can, as quick as I can, I still feel way too intimidated to use a stand alone. I know this place has great support and an awesome community but for now plug and play is a much better option for me, as I would still be worried about setting something wrong and damaging something. I am going M tune as I think it is one of the best plug and play options developed for our vehicles, and it also has the capability of tweaking things if I decide too, down the track. Clearly both options have merit and it's a matter of what suits your needs and goals better.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:01 AM
Kris H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also gonna tune my 2,5 16V project with the beforementioned polish product.. For those who eat with their eyes, this is what came with my Ecumaster EMU standalone pack (plus a few goodies eg. a t-shirt, but they're irrelevant). it obviously was additionally packed with bubblefoil and stuff:

This is not an ad, and i'm NOT affiliated with the company in any way.

- Standalone computer,
- Connecting ports,
- CD with tuning software and manuals,
- tuning cable (regular usb-usb)
- a lot of wires to make the harness
- connectors for the wires
- MAC electronic valve
- bosh wideband sensor

the lot was just under 750 USD.. just food for thought - keep in mind though, that with this, you'd need to make the harness and tune from scratch..
Old 11-04-2014, 07:06 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Standalone is not plug&play and requires a lot of work and user involvement but provides infinitely variable engine configurations.

Tuning upgrades like M tune are almost completely plug&play, but assume stock or close to stock hardware configuration. It can be tuned for different configurations, but someone must tune it just like standalone.

I too think M tune is one of, if not the best upgrade to stock car and factory engine management.

Refpotsirk: where did you bought it from?

I also love the fact that there is no BS customs and VAT costs since it is from Europe. Buying this kind of stuff from usa always costs me ~30% more because of shipping and $#%& stupid rip-off laws.
Old 11-04-2014, 07:38 AM
Kris H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Voith - I bought it directly form their site. And I fully agree with you on customs.. I've approached overseas transactions a few times already, and probably "upset" a few people here, for which I feel I should apologise.. because it turned out not even once could I bear the additional costs like insane freight, sky high customs and more than cruel taxes i would have to pay afterwards :/

Back to your interest in the ECU - Not sure about the VAT - I had to pay it, but I'm a physical person within Poland, so if you buy it to Slovenia it might be a bit different..

ps: I think i have to change my stupid login somehow.. It's unpronouncable, unmemorizable and makes next to no sense at all.. Artifact of my schoolyears long time ago..
Old 11-04-2014, 07:55 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith

I also love the fact that there is no BS customs and VAT costs since it is from Europe. Buying this kind of stuff from usa always costs me ~30% more because of shipping and $#%& stupid rip-off laws.
Same here and how about Wossner custom pistons that originated from the EU .
Old 11-04-2014, 08:19 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I buy a lot of parts from usa and from rennlist users and I never had any problems.

I always pay price + shipping and then deal with our customs by myself. Seller has nothing to do with customs here.

You pay VAT once your purchase is in customs if you buy from outside europe.

You pay whatever tax country of origin has + tax and customs on value and on shipping price, which is ridiculous, but thats how it works.

Originally Posted by blade7
Same here and how about Wossner custom pistons that originated from the EU .
Tell me about it I had to pull all sorts of hat tricks to get my pistons from usa trough customs and not bankrupt in the process.

Last edited by Voith; 11-04-2014 at 08:41 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 AM
KSira
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Refpotsirk
I am also gonna tune my 2,5 16V project with the beforementioned polish product.. For those who eat with their eyes, this is what came with my Ecumaster EMU standalone pack (plus a few goodies eg. a t-shirt, but they're irrelevant). it obviously was additionally packed with bubblefoil and stuff:

This is not an ad, and i'm NOT affiliated with the company in any way.

- Standalone computer,
- Connecting ports,
- CD with tuning software and manuals,
- tuning cable (regular usb-usb)
- a lot of wires to make the harness
- connectors for the wires
- MAC electronic valve
- bosh wideband sensor

the lot was just under 750 USD.. just food for thought - keep in mind though, that with this, you'd need to make the harness and tune from scratch..
Looks like great value for money.

Does this support stock trigger sensors? I had to use a 60-2 Setup to get my Link G4+ Stom working properly, even if it is supposed to support stock trigger sensors. I could maybe have made it work with a oscilloscope and lots of tweaking, but in the end I decided it was much cheaper to buy a sensor setup that worked, than trying to sort out the misfire on high RPM and killing my engine in the process. So my advice is to be very careful if using stock trigger sensors

Last edited by KSira; 11-06-2014 at 03:22 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:47 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will use 60-2 with cam sync in front. I hate stock sensor obsoleteness, location and type. Trigger(s) should be the most bulletproof part of the system. No ecu will work good with intermittent signaling.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:42 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

I am almost finished tuning a custom Audi RS2 engine with a 60-2 trigger set up on a Link G4+ Extreme and it works great, with sequential fueling/spark.
Old 11-04-2014, 03:21 PM
blade7
Drifting

I buy a lot of parts from usa and from rennlist users and I never had any problems.

I always pay price + shipping and then deal with our customs by myself. Seller has nothing to do with customs here.

You pay VAT once your purchase is in customs if you buy from outside europe.

You pay whatever tax country of origin has + tax and customs on value and on shipping price, which is ridiculous, but thats how it works.

Tell me about it I had to pull all sorts of hat tricks to get my pistons from usa trough customs and not bankrupt in the process.
I was told Wossner have asked their US dealers not to sell to Europe
Old 11-04-2014, 04:57 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Why? Isnt wossner from Germany?? Why don't you call the germans and demand pistons?

Also if you want wossner from usa, create US forwarding mailbox and let them forward it to you.
Old 11-06-2014, 01:51 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why? Isnt wossner from Germany?? Why don't you call the germans and demand pistons?

Also if you want wossner from usa, create US forwarding mailbox and let them forward it to you.
Or get a US RL member to buy them and ship them to you.
(How about a 2 for 1 deal? You send me money to buy 2 sets and I'll ship you 1 set. )
Old 11-07-2014, 09:12 PM
blade7
Drifting

Because I believe for custom pistons you have to give Wossner all the dimensions, and they charge the same as buying and importing from the US. In any case I have family in Arizona.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:15 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by azbanks
Or get a US RL member to buy them and ship them to you.
(How about a 2 for 1 deal? You send me money to buy 2 sets and I'll ship you 1 set. )
Or you send a set to me and I'll send you some money .
Old 11-08-2014, 06:02 PM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by blade7
Or you send a set to me and I'll send you some money .
Just so we don't derail this thread any further, I'll have my Nigerian business manager contact you for the details.

Quick Reply: MAF vs. Standalone