Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Oil in the KLR pressure hose

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 05:58 PM
Sami951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in the KLR pressure hose

I installed an aftermarket boost gauge today, and took the pressure signal off the hose that goes to the KLR box. Everything went fine (or at least the thing seems to be working and the car is running ok), but one thing really puzzles me:

The pressure line was full of oil when we cut it! So apparently there has got to be a whole lot of oil in my intake manifold too, and probably everywhere else.... can it be anything else than the turbo? Should I get worried? When we installed a boost gauge on Tommy's car, that hose was clean as a whistle...

See the pic, all that came out just by blowing into that piece of hose...

Last edited by Sami951; 07-30-2012 at 03:26 AM.
Old 08-03-2003, 06:18 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 08-03-2003, 06:26 PM
pikey7
Drifting

You'll always have "some" oil in there as it is blown directly from the intake manifold. Just whip the plugs out, and if all looks fine, then no panic!
Old 08-03-2003, 06:32 PM
Sami951
Drifting

Ok, but where does it come from?? The turbo? Or is it possible (in some freak way) to have oil blowing out of the head and back into the intake manifold..?

I wouldn't say there was "some" oil in there, as it was completely filled
Old 08-03-2003, 06:36 PM
pikey7
Drifting

Just that little bit wouldn't worry me too much as it has the manifold pressure and gravity blowing it down there! You'll always get some oil in there (turbo blow by, valve stem leakage etc), so if you've not had that off before, it's just 17 years of a small amount a day!
Old 08-03-2003, 06:42 PM
Sami951
Drifting

Ok, I'll try to not worry about it. Besides, I started the engine with that hose disconnected, and it (naturally) sucked all the extra oil right back in
Old 08-04-2003, 01:30 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

I would suspect that either the sensor in the KLR box has ruptured or that there was a leak where the hose connected to the box, I have removed many KLR boxes over the years and never seen one with oil in the hose, there should be a colum of non moving air in that hose, if there was a leak at the inside end, however, then when the car was under boost you would have a flow of oily air through the tube and would collect a fair amount of oil over a period of years.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:51 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KLR line attaches at intake. My guess would be the oil is coming from the intake. Take the bolt out where the KLR line attaches between runners 3/4 on the intake and see if you have oil there. You may also want to check your intercoolers hoses to see how much oil is in them. May be coming from the turbo.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:11 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Somebody on the 924/944/951/968 board suggests that a "failing" upper o-ring for the breather will cause oil to be drawn into the intake... Does this seem possible to anyone here?

I have lots and lots of oil in the intake, none in that KLR line (if that kink has been there, I bet it's leaking from there). Like mentioned above, I think you probably have a leak, or oil wouldn't be moving down from that line. I've never seen oil in that line either.

Anyway, so if I have lots (and I mean LOTS) of oil in the intake, does it have to be from the turbocharger? It uses about a half quart ever 500 miles or so, I do drive hard. The engine (including the head) has been rebuilt, but there's unknown miles on the K26... I want to eliminate the oil problem to the turbocharger (the line coming from the crankcase breather has slight oil coating on it, but I can't how much oil might've been through it).

I appreciate any help.
Ahmet
Old 08-05-2003, 03:14 AM
turbite
Burning Brakes

Well the crankcase breaths right in front of the turbo (on the J-pipe).
You can see it coming from under the intake manifold and joining right infront of the turbo on the left side of the J-pipe.
So naturally there will be some oil in every place downstream of there.
It is not necessarily the turbo blowing oil.

I had a decent amount of oil all over, but definately not in the KLR hose.

Quick Reply: Oil in the KLR pressure hose