Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

X-post, how much current does the ignition coil draw and how much is safe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:13 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default X-post, how much current does the ignition coil draw and how much is safe?

Cross posting this here to pick the brains of the smart turbo fellas. Lots more guys here than on the N/A side have played with stand alone, hopefully somebody can clarify some things for me before I melt stuff

How much current is actually pulled through the green coil positive? I want to know because I just finished wiring up my LSx coils and I'm concerned I'm risking melting my switch trying to power all 4 since that line doesn't have a fuse on it. Will it be ok, or will I need to tap some other 12v switched source and run 3 other lines into the engine bay? If it matters, they will be fired in wasted spark so two will fire at a time. I'm guessing the stock coil draws no more than 5 amps through the switch? I could be wrong on this, but I think LSx coils draw ~2 amps while they are charging, with a possible peak of ~5 amps. I also dont think logic coils like the LSx draw any current when they are not connected to the trigger, so that would mean only 2 of the 4 would be drawing current at any one time? Can I safely pull 10 amps continuously through the ignition switch? Seems like a lot of current, unless I'm missing something.

Quick Reply: X-post, how much current does the ignition coil draw and how much is safe?