Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rain water in dme area :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

On a few occasions I felt drops on my left foot but that wasn't even under heavy rain, and the problem was the seal for the fusebox cover. Never had water make its way in the DME area, but this is a car with no sunroof.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sunroof drains work even with sunroof closed....ask me how I know.......
Old 04-03-2014, 09:59 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Willard Bridgham 3
Sunroof drains work even with sunroof closed....ask me how I know.......
It's suppose to!! haha.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:19 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My $$ is on a batt tray hole. One thing I forgot to check when I bought my car, found the hole when I saw the waterline IN the DME - no kidding.

About a 1"x2" hole, course it got bigger cleaning it up, Marinetex and glass cloth to the rescue.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Well I did some investigating. Sunroof and battery box drains checked out and flowed nicely. The battery box looks very clean, with a few areas where the paint is flaking, but no rust (from the top). So, I pulled the glove box and HVAC duct to take a peek back there -- see pictures below of where I believe the water got in -- these are factory holes in the firewall that I've been using to bring wires into the cab. Note the light streaming from behind in in the second picture. I suspect the water slid down those wires and straight into the cab. Will probably silicon it for now...

I was also very surprised to see a weld-patch from a rust hole in the battery box. The repair looked good from the top -- can't even tell -- but not so good from below. I've had the car since the 90's, so it's been like that a long time. I'm guessing a body shop did it, and painted the battery box to look new afterwards -- just wish they got all the rust out the first time and/or sealed the bottom side better.
Attached Images    
Old 04-07-2014, 03:00 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Well I did some investigating. Sunroof and battery box drains checked out and flowed nicely. The battery box looks very clean, with a few areas where the paint is flaking, but no rust (from the top). So, I pulled the glove box and HVAC duct to take a peek back there -- see pictures below of where I believe the water got in -- these are factory holes in the firewall that I've been using to bring wires into the cab. Note the light streaming from behind in in the second picture. I suspect the water slid down those wires and straight into the cab. Will probably silicon it for now...

I was also very surprised to see a weld-patch from a rust hole in the battery box. The repair looked good from the top -- can't even tell -- but not so good from below. I've had the car since the 90's, so it's been like that a long time. I'm guessing a body shop did it, and painted the battery box to look new afterwards -- just wish they got all the rust out the first time and/or sealed the bottom side better.
So your thinking is that water found a conduit on the wires ?
The reason I am second guessing here, is that the wires are following a arch (where the top of the arch is where the grommet is) ? I can see that the water, once at the grommet, would follow that path ( i.e. That the leak is right on top of that grommet against the fire wall ( I noticed you have a slit right at the top of it, not really good) it should be on the bottom of the hole...
So there is not a hole in that battery box ? You tested it with water ? You should use that butyl ribbon
Not silicone....
EDIT it looks like the top set of wires is making its way down before it gets to the grommet ?
Old 04-27-2014, 09:38 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by Voith
Check the battery tray from the underside. It can look deceivingly nice from upside since silicone doesn't rust.. Ask me how I know..
You nailed it. My car has been garaged its whole life and the battery tray looks great, but the leak persisted after fixing the grommet, and further investigation revealed a hidden rust hole. See new thread here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l#post11325551

I'm still glad I redid the grommet (see below) just wish that were the problem...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rain water in dme area :(