Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rain water in dme area :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 03:07 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts
Default Rain water in dme area :(

Yesterday my motor just stopped while tooling down the highway in fairly heavy rain. After a free AAA tow home and some head scratching, I found water had made it's way into the cab behind the glove box. Most of it flowed into the carpet, but enough of it got into the wiring and then into the DME box. (I opened it up and found a wet circuit board.) After drying it off, the car now starts up and "seems" ok (time will tell), but in the meantime, I'm virtually certain there are no rust holes under the battery, so is there another common way for water to get in? Windshield seal? Wiring grommets? Great big uncovered holes I'm about to discover when I pull the battery?

This is the first time I've driven in heavy rain in many years, so for all I know it hasn't been weather tight in a long time...
Old 04-02-2014, 03:43 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

im in the same boat, if it rains hard enough, water would get onto my klr connectors and prevent my car to start. So i made a habbit of having my dme/klr out when its raining hard for the time being. im contemplating removing my dash to fix this problem. Only other place i would suspect is what youve stated, the wiring loom grommet.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:42 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine did the same thing but it was a hole under the battery. Take your battery, DME, KLR and glove box out. Get a hose and spray the battery tray area and look for any drips.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:32 PM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not sure if it's on the left or right side, but look for a sunroof drain hose coming down from the A pillar.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:55 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a sunroof drain down both pillars, if you remove the trim cover you'll see it, off white hose. There is an upper and a lower, the lower is larger diameter and the upper just slides into it. At least on 86s it does. I bet the lower is clogged and it backed up and overflowed.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this problem. mine is a RHD but might be the same fix. The trays where your battery sits or vacuum canister sits has drain holes. Make sure those are clean. That's how i solved mine.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:09 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

I'll check out the battery area this weekend -- I suspect the water hitched a ride on the many wires I've fed through the firewall over the years, but we shall see. As for the sunroof drains, have people had those leak even when the sunroof is shut? Mine has reasonably new seals and was fully shut all week...
Old 04-03-2014, 01:11 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

My sunroof has new seals and it usually leaks when the drains aren't clean
Old 04-03-2014, 01:33 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paulyy
My sunroof has new seals and it usually leaks when the drains aren't clean
Even when the sunroof is closed up tight?
Old 04-03-2014, 03:48 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tom:

My Saratoga top has bad wind noise, but did not leak water yesterday even in that massive downpour. I was driving in it all day. I was actually impressed that it did not leak. I am pretty sure even with the roof closed, the water will still drain down through the white lines into the A-pillar. Might want to inspect that. On the Saratoga there is a gap between the glass and the metal roof panel so a lot of water is going into those lines.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:01 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

Check the battery tray from the underside. It can look deceivingly nice from upside since silicone doesn't rust.. Ask me how I know..
Old 04-03-2014, 06:28 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
Even when the sunroof is closed up tight?
Ever since the new seal, it's always sat a little higher then normal. But it's happened once. Mine would leak at the rear.

I'd pour water with a funnel down the drain and look for drips. If it doesn't come out smoothly or at all, I'd get an air compressor and gently blow down the drain and slowly give it pressure until it's clear

I had water get to my DME once, but i was though the fuse box. I don't have anything other then a vacuum canister and a siren in the ohere tub so i don't know how water may get in. Unless there is corrosion under your battery?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:08 AM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get UV liquid and look for it that way.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:33 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

As to the sunroof question, I can not answer on the 944, however most cars they will leak a little this is the wole reason for the drains.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I'll check out the battery area this weekend -- I suspect the water hitched a ride on the many wires I've fed through the firewall over the years, but we shall see. As for the sunroof drains, have people had those leak even when the sunroof is shut? Mine has reasonably new seals and was fully shut all week...
This would be my guess as well. It's making it's way through the harness/wire hole.

Quick Reply: Rain water in dme area :(