Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Upgrade of turbo (kinda long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 06:58 PM
HansB
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Upgrade of turbo (kinda long)

I ran into a wall last week, lost the front of the car. (see avatar) Taking the car apart we noticed that some debris made an interesting mess of my turbocharger.

But, every challenge presents also an opportunity!

I have an '88 951 with a pretty standard engine setup, but a full race suspension and brakes. Do not know what turbo I have exactly, always thought it was a standard 26/8 but it is bigger. It looks like a K27 with a 2.75 inlet. Currently I run a Lindsey WG with MBC.

We had a plan to do a major upgrade this winter: Bigger turbo, ported head, 3" exhaust, DTA P8Pro engine management, MAP, injectors, FPR and other small stuff. And since it is the middle of the race season, I still want to do as little as possible now.

It is a track only car. I aim at 350 RWHP, on pump gas (93-ish), with as low a boost as possible (16-20 psi). The engine has to last.

Now the questions:

Is it possible to just, with minimal changes put in a new turbo and to run the same turbo now, with stock AFM an a adapted chip-set, and a down-tuned turbo pressure (10-12 psi) and later full blown with the new setup? Optimal power is not this years problem, that will come next year.

What turbo should I use? On the circuits we normally drive a torquey setup (3000 - 5500+) would work best.

Or should I go for a rebuild? I have also a functioning 26/8 lying around.

How to get appropriate chips?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2003, 07:02 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Hans,

When chosing a turbo you must go for the highest efficiency based on many factors such as HP, Spool characteristics, boost...

If you get a turbo and run it at boost levels that makes it inefficient you risk the problem of destroying the turbo or heating up the intake where you are not making any power and/or detonation...
Old 07-29-2003, 07:48 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Is it possible to just, with minimal changes put in a new turbo and to run the same turbo now, with stock AFM an a adapted chip-set, and a down-tuned turbo pressure (10-12 psi) and later full blown with the new setup? Optimal power is not this years problem, that will come next year. ...How to get appropriate chips? "

Not a problem running that turbo with stock AFM. I've got a simple way to attaching the the rubber J-boot onto an aftermarket turbo without crazy step-up/down adaptors that I've seen people attempt. I've got a chip that will let you run that turbo at 15-18psi without an problems.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:02 AM
HansB
Pro

Fast951,

very true. But I guess that also your kits could be run on a lower boost level as the 22 that you run them on.

Your stage 2 kit sounds promising too, but how much would we desinvest by removing the PB and the MAF in half a year?

Is the stage 2 kit that you offered some days ago still for sale?
Old 07-30-2003, 08:03 AM
HansB
Pro

Danno,

if I would go with eg. a SFR stage 2 Turbo, could you make chips for that too?
Old 07-30-2003, 10:07 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Hans,

You are correct, no need to run 20+psi boost with Stage 2 turbo. It's efficient between 15-22.. Yes the kit is available...

I strongly believe that once you try it, you may not need to go to DTA..
I like DTA systems.. I think they are great standalone systems..

As of now, I have no idea what the resale value of any Vitesse component.. Customers love the kits and none of them is planning to sell..

If you like to pursue this further, it'll be best if we do it directly off of the list.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2003, 06:53 AM
HansB
Pro

John,

decided to stick with the K26/8 turbo we had hanging around for the moment. Will continue the uograde this winter.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:49 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"if I would go with eg. a SFR stage 2 Turbo, could you make chips for that too?"

Not a problem. I can even give you three separate maps on one chip and you can select the one that works best for you. This will still retain the 4 different injector size selection independently.

Quick Reply: Upgrade of turbo (kinda long)