Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Tial vs Synapse wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2014, 02:22 AM
alxdgr8
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Tial is pretty proven in all of the car world, pretty much everyone uses them. If it works, no reason to be different.
Another option would be an Audi wastegate. They're a bit bigger, so they might not fit, but they're super reliable and have been used on lots of big power builds.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:25 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Metal 951
Ive recently installed a Turbosmart.. Another option...
Love Turbosmart products!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:47 AM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Metal 951
Ive recently installed a Turbosmart.. Another option...
+ 1 for the Turbosmart. Compact too.
Attached Images  
Old 03-19-2014, 05:49 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

What size turbosmart are you using Patrick? 40mm?
Old 03-19-2014, 01:43 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mahoney944
Not to sway your decision, but it is import to know that because tial wastegates activate the valve in the reverse direction the boost pressure is sent to the bottom side of the diaphram as opposed to the stock or LR wastegates that send to the top. an interesting thing about this is that the stock and LR create a perfect seal between the inside of the top cap of the wastegate and the diaphram itself. this is ideal for boosting because our cars use a sealed system. TiAL on the other hand sends the pressure to the bottom side of the diaphram. this causes a slight issue because of the valve guide. because the valve guide needs to slide up and down this creates a small leaking point. TiAL relies on heat expansion to seal this, obviously it never seals 100% or the valve couldnt move properly.

If you care to actually test this, you can simply get a vac line and attach it to a shutoff valve, all you need to do is supply pressure to the wastegate with the shutoff valve open. while the system is still receiving pressure close the valve. on a stock or LR wastegate the wastegate will remain stuck open with the pressure locked in the chamber and will only close after the pressure is released from the shutoff valve. this same test done to a tial results in no pressure staying in the chamber. once you close the valve the valve the pressure will leak out through the valve guide and the wastgate closes.

In theory, because tial isnt considered a sealed system the turbo has to work slightly harder to maintain proper operation of the wastegate. I also want to make it clear that this is a slight difference, but to some a slight difference means everything. This is like blowing up a balloon vs blowing up a balloon with a small pin hole, both will inflat but with the pin hole the task is slightly harder.
The valve stem/guide leakage concern can be applied to the OE/LR wastegates as well, except the leakage occurs on the exhaust side, robbing the turbine for some exhaust pressure otherwise used to build boost. Exhaust gas leakage (high temperature with carbon particles) is even more difficult to control than clean intake air leakage (moderate temperature). Porsche was smart enough to install a ceramic valve guide. The slight exhaust leakage also puts a higher demand on cooling the housing, hence the fins.
TiAL’s inverted valve makes it conceptually a bit easier to design a dual port wastegate.

Personally I am happily using the OE wastegate with an additional spring and a Blitz controller for the occasional 25 psi boost.

Laust
Old 03-19-2014, 01:58 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Laust Pedersen
The valve stem/guide leakage concern can be applied to the OE/LR wastegates as well, except the leakage occurs on the exhaust side, robbing the turbine for some exhaust pressure otherwise used to build boost. Exhaust gas leakage (high temperature with carbon particles) is even more difficult to control than clean intake air leakage (moderate temperature). Porsche was smart enough to install a ceramic valve guide. The slight exhaust leakage also puts a higher demand on cooling the housing, hence the fins.
TiAL’s inverted valve makes it conceptually a bit easier to design a dual port wastegate.

Personally I am happily using the OE wastegate with an additional spring and a Blitz controller for the occasional 25 psi boost.

Laust
What additional spring, is that a modified factory unit? With a stronger spring?
Old 03-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Laust Pedersen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lart951
What additional spring, is that a modified factory unit? With a stronger spring?
Yes a cleaned up and modified factory unit with an additional spring.

In the picture below you see the main components. Modified actuator (top), a spacer, the spring (from Century Spring, CA and as I recall the number on the bag is the part number) and the modified valve housing (bottom). The modifications are minor, removal of an inside heat shield on the top and a recess for the spring ID on the valve protrusion on the bottom.
I have had a WG with those modifications installed since 2005.

Laust

Old 04-07-2014, 08:26 PM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TIAL only. Ask me how I know.

G
Old 04-07-2014, 10:23 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I still have few sets of wastegate adapter plates available so you can upgrade your 25 year old WG to a Tial.

Please PM if interested.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:58 PM
jasonlp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by George D
TIAL only. Ask me how I know.

G
I'll bite how George?
Old 04-08-2014, 02:06 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Laust makes some damn good points, hard to argue with.

I have put stupid pressures, pressures that should have cost me plenty in engine repairs (have the Zeit logs to show), and the Tial still holds 8+ years later.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:24 AM
George D
Drifting

Manual control vs control from the cab. The factory dual WG from Lindsey is better than Synapse, Tial is dialed knowing most electronic boost controller input when wired properly.

Originally Posted by jasonlp
I'll bite how George?

Quick Reply: Tial vs Synapse wastegate