Anyone try one of these BOV's?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 12:32 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone try one of these BOV's?

http://www.ttstuff.com/mm5/merchant....ry_Code=T1PTDV
I know, I know.. Will it help with the temporary rich condition associated with atmospheric vented bov's? The adjustable spring rate feature kind of wigs me out. Almost too much to adjust...

Then there is this:
http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/prod...-0203-1022.htm
Same idea, but doesn't really tell me about changing the pressure on the unit. Springs? What does it come loaded with?(etc)

I know both of these are a tad rice, but I cant help but dig that sound...

Then of course this:

This is probably the best of the three for simple function? I would be missing that cool sound of course..
However, it wouldn't give me endless adjustability (probably good for me) and its a direct replacement.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Dougs951
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use this one,

and anything that dumps to atmo will cause a rich condition
Old 02-14-2014, 11:04 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

honestly if you are looking for sound try a screamer pipe mod, which involves cutting the wastegate to cat dump pipe.
Old 02-14-2014, 01:10 PM
fivex84
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Turbosmart one. Don't know the spring pressure but it has a lot of adjustability.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:01 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

it all depends on your thoughts. if you want functionality then a recirculating bov is best. Though minimal it will send a shot of high pressure right at compression wheel in between shifts. if you just want sound then go for that.
Old 02-15-2014, 03:34 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Hey!Thanks for the replies! First,I may have not been clear with my post.. I am not actually after a "Sound" , just found some different options and wanted some opinions on the hardware.. The real goal is function before fashion.

I initially looked at straight divert valves then saw some of the hybrid offerings. A call to turbosmart answered one question:"Will the dual BOV just take the path of least resistance?" The answer was no, it is a 2 stage exhaust that will discharge back into the intake, supposedly enough to keep the afm happy. So potentially cool sounding(lol) and functional! The turbosmart units are adjustable externally. Cool, but also a pain in my *** in a sense because I would really rather deal with a set (known spring rate) point and work with that. The Forge BOV's are what I am leaning towards.
Any other experience/comments on this stuff would be great!
Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 AM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the billet diverter from Paragon Products (Mode, Inc. ?), but I'm 90% sure it has messed up the signal for my MAF. Since installing it, when my RPM's come down off of boost fairly quickly, the engine dies. When I approach a stop at a slower or more reasonable rate, it never dies. In between, it's a somewhat linear response, so it definitely doesn't seem like an electrical problem or an ICV problem.

This diverter does not come with a choice of springs, and it appears they list the same valve for the 944 turbo and the 911 turbo, so my guess is that it's not quite suited for my setup - might work if I were to change my MAF pipe to something that angled the flow toward the turbo instead of coming in at a 90 degree angle to the MAF pipe.
Old 02-15-2014, 01:30 PM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Originally Posted by jmj951
I have the billet diverter from Paragon Products (Mode, Inc. ?), but I'm 90% sure it has messed up the signal for my MAF. Since installing it, when my RPM's come down off of boost fairly quickly, the engine dies. When I approach a stop at a slower or more reasonable rate, it never dies. In between, it's a somewhat linear response, so it definitely doesn't seem like an electrical problem or an ICV problem.

This diverter does not come with a choice of springs, and it appears they list the same valve for the 944 turbo and the 911 turbo, so my guess is that it's not quite suited for my setup - might work if I were to change my MAF pipe to something that angled the flow toward the turbo instead of coming in at a 90 degree angle to the MAF pipe.
From what turbosmart tells me, you need to increase spring pressure... Actually if you look at their install instructions, it gives you the lowdown on the condition you describe.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:28 AM
onspeed
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't you want minimal spring pressure on the bypass valve so that it opens as quickly as possible when you lift. Because the vacuum line applies positive pressure to the top of the piston when in boost, there should be enough force to keep the piston shut when coupled to a light spring.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:48 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Originally Posted by onspeed
Don't you want minimal spring pressure on the bypass valve so that it opens as quickly as possible when you lift. Because the vacuum line applies positive pressure to the top of the piston when in boost, there should be enough force to keep the piston shut when coupled to a light spring.
I am no expert!(Quite the opposite) The TS manual for the adjustable BOV's they sell described the condition noted above. The fix was adding more spring pressure. The valves do mount up differently than stock(Not sure why, would like to know as they both have a seat on the same side)?
Old 02-16-2014, 03:20 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lart951
honestly if you are looking for sound try a screamer pipe mod, which involves cutting the wastegate to cat dump pipe.
+1 LOL
Old 02-16-2014, 03:25 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

TurboSmart one is a lot cheaper then the Forge one

http://www.turbosmartdirect.com/prod...-0203-1222.htm
Old 02-16-2014, 03:30 AM
Speed Metal 951
Instructor

Thanks for the enlightening info. Super helpful.
Old 02-17-2014, 02:49 AM
Dougs951S
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am running an HKS SSQ BOV vented to atmosphere, I did so not to get the sound (not super in love with it) but to simplify my piping for my front mount. I believe that with my setup, this outperforms the factory recirc valve BUT I am running megasquirt and am speed/density tuned. With the stock ECU (or any tune that runs any air metering device) you WILL run like general *** unless the BOV is placed downstream of said metering device. Otherwise you will be venting air that the ECU expects to get into the intake. The ONLY way around this for most piping schemes is to run the metering device in blow through after the cold side of the intercooler. With my BOV + atmosphere dumped wastegate my car definitely sounds a bit ricey. I don't really care because other cars are generally in my rear view
Old 02-17-2014, 08:49 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 647 Likes on 409 Posts

I like forge. Really quality stuff.

Quick Reply: Anyone try one of these BOV's?