Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need Boost Guru;s Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014 | 07:41 PM
philip77o
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were you, I'd begin with getting an aftermarket boost gauge. Much more accurate than the factory gauge.
Old 02-01-2014 | 08:01 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

1 bar is atmospheric pressure on the stock gauge so that's 0 boost, just to make it clear
Old 02-01-2014 | 08:02 PM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

People always saying they hit 1.75-2 bar that's no possible with the stock gauge, 2 bar will be like 28 psi lol
Old 02-01-2014 | 09:28 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I will get a boost gauge. Now what I need to figure out is why I'm getting more boost with the wastegate NOT crimped than when crimped.

My pressure testing of the WG with a pump tells me the WG is ok. It stats to open around 4psi and is fully open at 7psi. While it's held open by pressure from the pump I push on the valve and I can feel the diaphragm holding the pressure. When I let out the pressure the valve snaps shut.
Old 02-02-2014 | 02:34 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Is it possible for my issue be the result of a bad DME?
Old 02-02-2014 | 04:09 PM
blown 944
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you pressure test the intake tract yet?
Old 02-02-2014 | 04:18 PM
MooreBoost
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by blown 944
Meaning moore boost than you would normally run.
fixed it for you
Old 02-02-2014 | 06:29 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Last Lemming
I will get a boost gauge. Now what I need to figure out is why I'm getting more boost with the wastegate NOT crimped than when crimped.

My pressure testing of the WG with a pump tells me the WG is ok. It stats to open around 4psi and is fully open at 7psi. While it's held open by pressure from the pump I push on the valve and I can feel the diaphragm holding the pressure. When I let out the pressure the valve snaps shut.
The way you pump tested the wastegate; I would say that is good.
Now go back and do the driving test again and properly take the boost line out of the loop by disconnecting it from the charge pipe like I mentioned before. Having even a tiny amount of air getting through the "pinched line" will result in a useless test.
Drive carefully, don't keep it floored for more than a second, mid RPMs and higher the boost should go up instantly in proportion to your throttle position.

By the way, it is normal for a stock car to achieve full boost only when you fully depress the throttle and only be at 1.2 bar (stock gauge) at lesser throttle positions and at any RPM. That's just the way the stock system works. It gets worse when your TPS or CV is on its' way out to the point where it never achieves more than 0.2 bar boost.
Old 02-02-2014 | 08:51 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Went out and bought a boost gauge today but have not hooked it up. I removed my intake and replaced the CV and all the hoses that run to it including the hose to the WG.

Once I get it all back together I will take it for a drive. Assuming no change I will then hook up the boost gauge, pinch the WG line, and run that test. Should thAt still show no boost then I've either got a bad cross pipe, a bad WG, or a bad turbo. I don't think it's the turbo because I felt the cold side shaft and blade and there was negligible movement - tough I guess I can't count it out.

If I don't get boost I'll probably order a new WG and controller an I'll also get a bore scope to try and check the crossover whe the WG is off
Old 02-03-2014 | 05:57 PM
Rob in Oz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy

By the way, it is normal for a stock car to achieve full boost only when you fully depress the throttle and only be at 1.2 bar (stock gauge) at lesser throttle positions and at any RPM. That's just the way the stock system works. It gets worse when your TPS or CV is on its' way out to the point where it never achieves more than 0.2 bar boost.
I'm so glad to see that - just bought a '90 951, having owned an '86 with Guru chip and cat-back exhaust some years ago and wanting to experience that turbo rush once more. On the highway, the new car is fine, rocketing past slower cars with ease in 3rd, but at the 110km/hr (70mph) limit it struggles on hills, with the boost gauge wavering around 1bar. Around town it's worse, with most journeys being accomplished without seeing any boost unless there's a decent application of throttle in 1st or 2nd. My '86 was much more user-friendly under these conditions, so I'm hoping that an application of chips and boosy controller will yield an improvement. Any suggestions/recommendations welcome...

Rob

Rob
Old 02-03-2014 | 06:17 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

One thought I forgot to share. I did pressure test the system form the j-boot with about 10-11 psi of pressure. The only leak I found was a small one from the air/oil separator seals. However my understanding is that these systems are just under vacuum only not boost and I don't think they are under that much vacuum. Please let me know if I am in error.
Old 02-16-2014 | 06:59 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Ok I bore scoped my crossover pipe. I went in from the inlet to the wastegate.

Here is a video this is my first borescope so be kind the video isn't great.

Old 02-16-2014 | 08:02 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Have you checked all of your lines out of the turbo to the intercooler back to the throttle body? If you blow one of those lines loose then you go into NA mode. If you were boosting to 1 atm you may have popped on of the connections. Mine normally comes off right after the turbo or just before the intercooler. Also if you knock the boost line to the KLR loose it will do the same thing.
Old 02-16-2014 | 08:50 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

All my lines are very secure. I replaced them all with good silicon hoses and pressure tested the system. I think it's my WG now and I have a Lindsey WG on order.
Old 02-21-2014 | 10:06 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

UPDATE

Problem solved, it was my wastegate. It must have been worn out. Even with 2 shims in it.
The new LR unit is working great. Even if I'm only using it in single port mode.

Quick Reply: Need Boost Guru;s Help