Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

clutch sticking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 11:35 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default clutch sticking?

Since it got cold out my clutch pedal seems to stick when releasing it. It comes up slowly instead of being 'springy'. It seems to get better when it warms up, after I've driven it for a while. I went through the whole clutch 2~3 years ago and only have a few thousand miles on it since then. I didn't touch the hydraulics.

I thought I'd read about similar symptoms on here before, but just spent ~45 minutes searching/reading to no avail. Just looking for ideas on what the issue might be. Really, really hoping it's hydraulic related but I'm not holding my breath with these cars...
Old 01-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

That is odd -- in my experience, the helper spring under the dash makes the pedal jump back up once it passes the fulcrum point, even with iffy hydraulics. You might crane your head under there and made sure the helper spring is attached and working. Check for hydraulic fluid leaks too, including wet carpet behind the pedal, and no harm done trying to bleed it to see if it helps and/or reveals the problem... You might also watch the fork in the bellhousing window to see what it's doing when the pedal is slowly rising back up. If it fully engages while the pedal is still coming up, then seems like it has to be the hydraulics.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:12 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

this is usually the first sign of the master or slave cyclinder going bad. most times the slave goes bad first when it starts to leak fluid. check the slave its located right above the starter on the driver side. look for wet conditions.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:13 AM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mahoney944
this is usually the first sign of the master or slave cyclinder going bad. most times the slave goes bad first when it starts to leak fluid. check the slave its located right above the starter on the driver side. look for wet conditions.
Replace master, slave, and the hose.

Quick Reply: clutch sticking?