Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

OT- anyone watch F1?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 01:25 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by pikey7

Kimi will never be the perfect driver.... He's Finnish! (before the flames, I just meant that there's too much emotion in there!, to be perfect, you have to be a machine. Look at Keke!!)
right

No need for me to remind rest of you guys,
that there is 5,5 million people here in Finland, less than for example in London or NY.
And still we can kick your a$$ in motor sports like in rally / F1...
Especially Rally has been basically our playground since the 60's.
And if you count all the races and their winner together, you get like
100 Finland vs. 20 rest of the world

I agree, that in Formula 1 it's not like that, thought we have had Keke, Mika & Mika, JJ and now Kimi. Schumi is a machine, NOT, he makes mistakes like the rest of them, only less.

People, do remember, that for Kimi this season is the 3rd season (or 4th) after Carting, so come on, get real.
What he is showing now, is something unbelievable.
I'm all for Rubens as well, but with his experience and Ferrari's knowhow...
It was kinda expected this weekend.

You guys just wait and see..

(what, us emotional.. )

Old 07-21-2003, 01:26 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This has been a wonderful F1 season to watch. Silverstone was the best race I can remember watching. The first three races this season [Australia, Malaysia, Brazil] were also very dramatic.

I love how so many drivers have won this year; Coulthard, Raikkonen, M. Schumacher, R. Schumacher, JPM, Barrichello, and even the Jordan of GIANCARLO hahah in Brazil after the massive pile-up at the start/finish line!

This must be the week for racing because after the F1 race today and the Tour de France race this morning, I'm on a killer emotional high. I love racing. The British Open was also great to watch this weekend.

They mentioned early in the broadcast that there's uncertainty about Silverstone being used as an F1 venue in the future, as has been the case for years now. I hope nothing drastic happens which takes the race away from this track.

Anyone see that F1 could have a race in India soon?? The more countries the better.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:30 PM
indiana_86_944_turbo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what does india have to bring to the table of motor racing? nothing,just more money for bernie and his friends.the rules were only changed to keep ferrari from running away with it all again.don't get me wrong i like f1,but i miss the hour long qualifying.just don't mess with the rules to slow a team down.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:32 PM
indiana_86_944_turbo
Instructor

and please if the usa is going to have a formula 1 race put it on a real road course like what is in Elkhart lake wisconsin.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:37 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Good points indiana.....

India has no ban on tobacco advertising scheduled in the near future...
That's what they have to offer....

There's also plans for a race to be held in China and Russia in the next few years. Ironically, Spa Franchorchamps in Belgiam (my fav) was left off of the schedule this year due to a ban on tobacco ads scheduled to be put into effect starting in 2004 and since they lost the race for this year their governing body has voted to put off the ban for the immediate future in hopes of regaining their country's GP.....

Terry S.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:08 PM
86944turbo
Racer

Late in the season and there are 4 drivers that are in the running for the title. Rubens needed that race. I thought he may have been on his way out. Watching the cars through Beckets was like watching slot cars. Coulthard is having a year like D. Jarret. The kind of years that can retire drivers. As Mika used to call him, "The Michael" is upset about the points change. Instead of 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1, it's now 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. The Michael does not like the qualifying rules this year. The Michael does not like the Bridgestone tires this year. The Michael does not like cars in front of him that don't move over for him. The Michael does not like the fact that a driver other than he may win the title this year. The Michael considers the drivers title his domain. I'm rooting for Juan Pablo.
I recall Senna would not sit in an F-1 car from the last race of the year until practice for the 1st race of the follwing year. Then, in qualifying, he would drive a few laps and often he would come in after a lap and tell the team boss that the last lap he drove could not be bettered by himself or anyone else and Senna sat on pole. It was fun back when the drivers disliked each other and drove, not just to win, but to beat the others.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:32 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Any race that sees Michael finish that far back is a good race.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:35 PM
indiana_86_944_turbo
Instructor

If it was not for "the michael" formula 1 would have even lower tv ratings then they do now.
Old 07-21-2003, 04:11 PM
Honkity Hank
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Great race, unfortunately I have sat through so many boring F1 races of late that I really was not expecting anything for this race. Boy was I pleasantly surprised and delighted to actually see a race won on the track rather than in the pits and qualifying. SO many past parades have been dissapointing. I hope this does not set the bar to high for the next race.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:16 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by indiana_86_944_turbo
what does india have to bring to the table of motor racing? nothing,just more money for bernie and his friends.
There's 1.1 billion people in India, almost half of whom are television viewers and many of them have become fans of F1. Just because it's a third-world country doesn't mean the people don't love racing. There are also some up-and-coming Indian race car drivers who would appreciate a Grand Prix in their homeland as everyone else does. But it's about the fans...I think it's great to have F1 in different countries.

No big deal though, I brought it up because I'd heard the possibility mentioned recently.
Old 07-21-2003, 05:23 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

That was a GREAT race! best this season!

Only painfull part is Kimi mumbling in the press conferance
Old 07-21-2003, 10:48 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by 86944turbo
Late in the season and there are 4 drivers that are in the running for the title. Rubens needed that race. I thought he may have been on his way out. Watching the cars through Beckets was like watching slot cars. Coulthard is having a year like D. Jarret. The kind of years that can retire drivers. As Mika used to call him, "The Michael" is upset about the points change. Instead of 10, 6, 4, 3, 2, 1, it's now 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. The Michael does not like the qualifying rules this year. The Michael does not like the Bridgestone tires this year. The Michael does not like cars in front of him that don't move over for him. The Michael does not like the fact that a driver other than he may win the title this year. The Michael considers the drivers title his domain. I'm rooting for Juan Pablo.
I recall Senna would not sit in an F-1 car from the last race of the year until practice for the 1st race of the follwing year. Then, in qualifying, he would drive a few laps and often he would come in after a lap and tell the team boss that the last lap he drove could not be bettered by himself or anyone else and Senna sat on pole. It was fun back when the drivers disliked each other and drove, not just to win, but to beat the others.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:54 PM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Hm guys, guys...

Great race but best drivers of the race were Michael and Culthard.

Michael was stuffed on the second change hence he ended up 14th and then went to 4th.

Coulthard also great driving moving up through the ranks to 5th from 12th I believe.

Kimi?? Just held his place from start and got stuffed by Baricello.

Baricello - well his car was flying as it was Michaels so next races will be I think back to Ferrari domination - Silverstone was never really a Ferrari circuit. Bridgstone's made 51 new tyre types and Ferrari practiced 5000km last week. Michael drove late into the nights testing - and it is now all coming together again.

It is still Michaels arena. He will be back with vengeance. (I think...)

The biggest problem Ferrari has at the moment is launch control. It's crap in comparison to the rest - just watch starts - it's like Michael going backwards.

Once they were on the go nothing could touch them. If Michael would not make a mistake in qualifying he would have pole position and the race would be all boring again.

Great race and who said you can't overtake at Silverstone? he,he.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:20 AM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Originally posted by SimonK
Hm guys, guys...

Great race but best drivers of the race were Michael and Culthard.

Michael was stuffed on the second change hence he ended up 14th and then went to 4th.

Coulthard also great driving moving up through the ranks to 5th from 12th I believe.

I have to disagree with you Simon. Not to take anything away from Michael and David - both ran a great race - especially David after his driver support flew off at the beginning of the race and he had to make the unscheduled pit. But Juan Pablo also got screwed after the massive group pit - coming out 13th just ahead of Michael and he rocketed to the front of the field where it took Michael much longer to get to the fourth position.

Rubens also drove an incredible race with some of the most masterful passes I have seen in awhile. Kimi didn't make the mistake because he was sloppy he made it because Rubens was all over him. Rubens was always one step ahead of Kimi and eventually got Kimi so flustered that he didn't know whether to sh*t or steal third. I would have been utterly amazing if Kimi would have been able to keep Rubens from passing.

Great race.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:31 AM
Madant26x
Racer

Originally posted by Skip Wolfe
Rubens also drove an incredible race with some of the most masterful passes I have seen in awhile. Kimi didn't make the mistake because he was sloppy he made it because Rubens was all over him. Rubens was always one step ahead of Kimi and eventually got Kimi so flustered that he didn't know whether to sh*t or steal third. I would have been utterly amazing if Kimi would have been able to keep Rubens from passing.

Great race.
Well said, I totatlly agree with you.

Quick Reply: OT- anyone watch F1?