Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

LR Super 75-10

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 08:06 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thom
We were almost going to measure backpressure with Sly on Sunday but got lazy and just drove off onto the Autobahn, but even from the passenger side the back pressure felt pretty obvious when going full load at high speed. It felt nowhere near as bad on my (even larger) engine with your turbo and I never had HG issues in the same condition, at least issues that were not already present.

Would be interesting to see pics of the "tongue area" between the two housings when you can make some, I never had a close look at those KKK replica housings.
Here is a pic of a replica #8 housing compared to a KKK #8 housing.

#1. The 'tongue' area on the turbine blade is 5mm wider
#2. There is no KKK stamp on the hotside.

I'll also include some pics.
The first pic is a side by side of a Lindsey super75(8 or 10), k26/8, and k26/6
The second pic is the tongue area inside of the super75
The third is a pic of the turbine wheel on the super75
The fourth pic is the tongue area of the K26/8
Attached Images     
Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 PM
refresh951
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

When I talked to Dave at LR about the Super 65 last year he told me that they could not get a #10 hotside. He told me they can get the #8 extrude honed which helps but I needed a bit more. Not sure if this is still the case but I would make sure you can get a #10 before making any decisions.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:40 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

What I would like to know, if anybody knows this, is:
using turbonetics replica hot-housings, would the tongue area (or more accurately the area where the exhaust gas enters the turbine blades) increase using a larger turbine wheel?
Another words, let's say using a #8, would the hot-housing be actually a bit bigger using a stage 5 wheel as opposed to a stage 3 wheel? The reasoning being that the inside of the hot-housing would need to be machined out to accommodate the bigger wheel , exposing a larger area of a cone for the exhaust to enter the wheel.
I don't think you would be able to see this from the outside looking down into the tongue area.
Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2014, 09:33 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

So, a Super 61-10, opinions on how it would work on a 2.5 and then a 3.0 ?
Old 01-22-2014, 10:50 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/DYNO.html

7th chart will give you an indication of that turbo.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:54 AM
blade7
Drifting

Thanks Paulyy. This is what I'm going with now, not sure how the 10 hotside will work on a 2.5 but hopefully the 61-10 will have a nice torque curve on a 3.0 without too much back pressure.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:12 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

it'll be full boost around 4k. Its okay. not idea for street but it's fun.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:59 PM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Paulyy
it'll be full boost around 4k. Its okay. not idea for street but it's fun.
This is on a 2.5 , I would expect a 3.0 to spin this up earlier than 4k ?

Last edited by blade7; 01-23-2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:07 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboTommy
What I would like to know, if anybody knows this, is:
using turbonetics replica hot-housings, would the tongue area (or more accurately the area where the exhaust gas enters the turbine blades) increase using a larger turbine wheel?
Another words, let's say using a #8, would the hot-housing be actually a bit bigger using a stage 5 wheel as opposed to a stage 3 wheel? The reasoning being that the inside of the hot-housing would need to be machined out to accommodate the bigger wheel , exposing a larger area of a cone for the exhaust to enter the wheel.
I don't think you would be able to see this from the outside looking down into the tongue area.
Thoughts?
Tommy just re-reading your post, I would have to say that to fit a stave V wheel into the same number 10 housing it would almost certainly have to be machined out given the larger size as mine is pretty tight on the housing with the stage 3 wheel. It would be interesting to see if there are any meaningful gains from switching just the turbine wheel from stage 3 to stage V but given the kkk housings are well known for being restrictive I am not sure if that is a worthwhile mod. I am assuming you run the stage three wheel in yours?
Old 01-23-2014, 05:42 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blade7
This is on a 2.5 , I would expect a 3.0 to spin this up earlier than 4k ?
Sorry i keep forgetting about the 3.0

yeah bring it down to about 3200 rpm i would think
Old 01-23-2014, 06:49 PM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

What turbine wheel option as this will make a difference.....and what is the size of the compressor wheel on this turbo?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 PM
blade7
Drifting

Unknown at the moment, T04E comp housing, I'd have to strip the turbo to measure the wheels, is there a chart to identify them ?
Old 01-24-2014, 01:15 AM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nick_968
Tommy just re-reading your post, I would have to say that to fit a stave V wheel into the same number 10 housing it would almost certainly have to be machined out given the larger size as mine is pretty tight on the housing with the stage 3 wheel. It would be interesting to see if there are any meaningful gains from switching just the turbine wheel from stage 3 to stage V but given the kkk housings are well known for being restrictive I am not sure if that is a worthwhile mod. I am assuming you run the stage three wheel in yours?
nick;
thanks for the reply
I really just want to get a better understanding behind the science and engineering of turbochargers for future considerations. It was just an example of sizes what I posted.
In the past I have asked some so-called "knowledgable people" about this and have gotten a range of answers from:
"the wheel size has no effect on the housing size"
"yes, the housing size would have to change when fitting for a different wheel"
"it's proprietary; I can't tell you"
"I don't know", shrugging their shoulders
It would make sense what you said if you modded your turbo for a bigger wheel. But if a turbo builder makes a turbo for a customers specs it might be that a 10 housing is a 10 housing regardless of the wheel size. Or, would it be that when using a p-trim wheel, for example, the hot-housing might be like a 10.5 or something?
Another words (and this is basically only for turbonetics replica housings), is the hot-housing size (it being a number 6, 8, or 10; referring to the internal cross-sectional area) a starting point and then it changes slightly with different wheels? That's basically the question.

In regards to you wondering if a bigger wheel into an exsisting hot-housing would make a difference; I can tell you that it absolutely does. Irregardless if my above question gets answered, a bigger wheel flows more air and puts more "torque" into the compressor, reducing back pressure at the expense of more wheel inertia which causes more lag.
Old 01-24-2014, 04:13 AM
nick_968
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by blade7
Unknown at the moment, T04E comp housing, I'd have to strip the turbo to measure the wheels, is there a chart to identify them ?
Assuming it contains a t4 wheel yes they are all well documented. Once you know the size of the wheel you can take a look at the compressor map. Same applies for the turbine wheel once you know the size you will have a better idea of lag/ response times.
Old 01-24-2014, 09:05 AM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by nick_968
Assuming it contains a t4 wheel yes they are all well documented. Once you know the size of the wheel you can take a look at the compressor map. Same applies for the turbine wheel once you know the size you will have a better idea of lag/ response times.
Thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: LR Super 75-10