Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Guru Racing?
Old 12-08-2013 | 05:21 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this is a great idea.

IMO i think a thread with list of build threads, write ups ect would work. Have everything in sub categories. 2.5L builds
2.7L builds
2.8L builds
2.85 stroker builds
3L builds
3L+ builds

Then have your documented threads
factory DME software and tuning threads
After market ECU threads
Head and intake modification threads
Cooling system threads (oil/water/air)
Suspension talk threads
Aerodynamics talk
Turbo & Boost talk.

I would have put all that in my thread but it would take some time. And now you cannot edit old threads.
most of my links are links people have contributed and i've put them up.
Old 12-13-2013 | 09:32 AM
Duke
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
Duke may get there next season, but he has a 16V set up that took some time to mature, including an unfortunate blow up.
I'm honoured to be mentioned in this thread but this is misleading so I feel the need to reply to this.

My previous 3.0l 16v turbo engine I built and installed about 3 1/2 years ago. The engine was somewhat new in its concept with the 9.5:1 CR I spec'ed out. Other than a leaking MLS head gasket the engine had zero issues and worked like a champ from day one. Including the 514 rwhp dyno run on pump gas at only 1.15 bar. Later on this engine was transferred to my race car and due to the dry sump system being on backorder I put the engine in with wet sump for the first shakedowns. On the 4th shakedown day the 2nd rod bearing went and along with it a rod and the block got a hole in it... Maybe not too sursprising given the high cornering forces of the race car but it had nothing to do with the engine concept as such.

The new engine I built (91 mm stroker with sleeved block, 16v head head etc) have had 2 different issues. The first issue I chased for a long time and turned out to be the new injectors acting up at certain pulse width's. The 2nd issue was that the dry sump oil pump had a faulty OPRV which caused low oil pressure. When the OPRV housing was switched out the pressure was better but still not where I want it. So I have been keeping the revs lower than planned for the time being (mostly around 6500 rpm istead of the planned 7500 rpm).

But the stroker engine as such has worked perfectly and is very, very powerful. Not sure how many 944/968 engines that have had 1200 cc injectors at 100% duty cycle without maxing out boost or rpm. The highest I've seen so far is 65% duty cycle with 2200 cc injectors which gives a good indication of power levels.

So to conclude... the engine builds have not been without issues but none of them related to the concept of large displacement 16v engines. And some of them would not have surfaced in a street car.

Quick Reply: memorable 944 turbo members Atte Mod