Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

951 on salvage title

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 09:08 AM
rocket951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 951 on salvage title

I have been quietly lurking on this board for the past year or so, trying to glean as much information as possible about 944 Turbos while I try to find one of my own. Well, the time to purchase a 951 is drawing near so this seemed like a good time to register with Rennlist because I now have some questions pertaining to said purchase.

The local paper has been running an ad for an '86 944 Turbo, runs excellent, many new parts, etc. Salvage title, $4450 obo. My question is this: Should the salvage title alone be the red flag that keeps me from even looking at this car? What if the car really has been carefully and very well rebuilt, could this be a good buy waiting for someone to come and take advantage of it? Lastly, if I do take the time to look at this car, what questions should I ask the seller beyond the usual care and maintenance issues?

I am just basically curious about this car and would not be that disappointed if it turns out to be a POS. I have a line on a really nice '88 with 50k miles, one owner, that can probably be had for under $8k. Either way, I hope to have a 951 parked in my garage in the coming weeks and I am looking forward to trading information on Rennlist. TIA for any advice.

Rodney Gravenor
Denver, CO
Old 07-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a pre-purchase inspection on both those cars you're looking at. Internal engine condition and parts like clutches, brakes, belts and water-pumps can easily add thousands to those purchase prices. Try to get maintenenance records on both those cars and make sure they schedule is up to date. It may very well be that the '86 $4450 car has a salvage title because it was rear-ended and the insurance company just totaled it because the cost of the rear bumper and taillights exceed the value of the car. You may have a well-tuned and maintained drivetrain otherwise regardless of the title. But you may also have a complete wreck of a lemon as well. Thus the need for the inspection. Same thing with the '88.

Either way, take them both to a shop that's familiar with these cars and they can do the inspection.
Old 07-20-2003, 01:15 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Hmmm, with skyrocketing labor/hour cost and cost of new 'dealer' parts usually used by big insurance companies, a 951 could be declared a total loss for something as littles as interior parts theft or a damaged 1/4 panel.

Personally I'd give the salvaged car equal weight as one that wasn't if I were buying a car for myself. In my personal experience with quite a few 944/951's you can generally tell if the car was cared for by getting a good look at the bottom floor and the entire underneath of the car.

Oil leaks, leaking struts/shocks, scrapes and gouges of the undercoat etc.
Anyone can clean the upper engine and make the underhood view look presentable but few sellers will waste their time on the bottom.......!

Terry S.

BTW, anyone ever price a 968 center console, new from the dealer...?
In leather, it sell for a list price of around $4500.00
He he, having your console and sports seats stolen would total a 968..
Old 07-21-2003, 05:34 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I wouldn't pass over the salvage-titled car unless you intend to resell it later. Salvage titles will scare away many people.

If it's a solid car with minimal body damage (as mine was) and no frame or suspension damage, I'd say go for it.

Later,
Jerome
Old 07-21-2003, 05:58 AM
SimonK
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen to Danno...

These cars can be a nightmare if you pick a bad one...

Suspension - wise make sure everything is in order - can you spot a weld in the middle of the car?

I can't...
Old 07-21-2003, 06:26 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Isn't there also an issue with insuring a salvaged car? Aren't there companies that won't insure a salvaged car?

I could be wrong, wouldn't be the first time. But, I'd hate to have someone buy a car that is generally a great runner just had a blemish on it's record that can't be driven.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Turk
Instructor

You could always call ahead before buying to see if that would be a problem with your insurer.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:19 AM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Originally posted by jerome951
I wouldn't pass over the salvage-titled car unless you intend to resell it later. Salvage titles will scare away many people.

If it's a solid car with minimal body damage (as mine was) and no frame or suspension damage, I'd say go for it.

Later,
Jerome

YOUR car has a salvage title. NO WAY. Really?
Old 07-21-2003, 08:44 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Isn't there also an issue with insuring a salvaged car? Aren't there companies that won't insure a salvaged car? "

There are ways around that now.... Kinda like money-laundering, you can wash the car's registration through several out of state owners and DMVs...
Old 07-21-2003, 08:50 AM
Blueman33
Pro

My opinion is ONE owner is important to me. ONE owner likely took care of the car he bought for $50k.

50k miles is also LOW mileage for an 88. Probably never wrecked, the salvage most assuredly wrecked.

Having no additional info, I'd lean very heavily towards one owner, 50k mile car. $4000 extra would be worth it to me.

My hunch is you generally get what you pay for. That's my two cents.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:00 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Blueman33
My opinion is ONE owner is important to me. ONE owner likely took care of the car he bought for $50k.

50k miles is also LOW mileage for an 88. Probably never wrecked, the salvage most assuredly wrecked.

Having no additional info, I'd lean very heavily towards one owner, 50k mile car. $4000 extra would be worth it to me.

My hunch is you generally get what you pay for. That's my two cents.
THe get what you pay for is true in most of the times, but I'd say that when buying a used car from a car dealer you never get what you pay for.

Dealers always overprice their cars, and who could blame them - it's what they do for a living.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:01 AM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Originally posted by Danno
"Isn't there also an issue with insuring a salvaged car? Aren't there companies that won't insure a salvaged car? "

There are ways around that now.... Kinda like money-laundering, you can wash the car's registration through several out of state owners and DMVs...
I agree Danno, I'm not saying it can't be done. We all have friends of friends who could push something through.

A $4,000 may need $4,000 worth of repairs right off the bat. A $8,000 car may not cost you anything immediately. So, if this were the case, which one would you prefer?
Old 07-21-2003, 09:23 AM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Cars that are repaired carry "RECONSTRUCTED" in the appropriate blank on the title once it's fixed. In my state doing this requires a full inspection by you're local police dept. if they're authorized or the state police if they're not.

Like I said before "salvage" on the title doesn't mean anything particular.
A 944S could have been totalled due to a mechanical cam chain failure.
Ask me how I know....lol, I bought one 7-8 years back, repaired it and have been driving it since.....

Thefts are also common reasons for salvage titles, price some new sports seats and a new dash and you'll see why.

Danno IS right on cleaning a title also. I can register a car over the border in Mississippi, title it there, then transfer it back to Louisiana and it's clean.
I wouldn't go through the trouble though personally, any car speaks for itself anyway......

Look at the example above where Chris can't believe that Jerome's 951 was a salvage. In person or PPI I'd bet my title that noone would believe that my 951 had previously been classified as salvage.......

Either way..., pass 'em up....more for me......lol

Terry S.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:42 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

My car is also a salvage title, although it doesn't show on the actual title. It does show on carfax and the PO informed me of the history. The 2nd owner (I'm #4) bought the car totaled (rear quarter panel) and built it for his daughter. He owned a body shop. I dare you to find a flaw - the car is gorgeous. I wouldn't walk from the salvage title if it's a nice car. I agree w/ Danno - PPI!
Old 07-21-2003, 11:49 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

Just so you know, Chris Prack is a very knowledgeble guy w/ 944 and, as my mechanic, has been through my car top and bottom several times.

Except for the poor repaint and red-on-the-backside plastic nose it's hard the tell the car was ever damaged.

FWIW, I didn't have any trouble insuring or gaining some financing for my car due to the salvage title, though YMMV.

I was looking for a car that I could flog around on the track for many years and not feel bad about abusing a cherry turbo (like Chris does) (there are so few good ones left). For my needs, the salvage-titled car fit the bill.

Quick Reply: 951 on salvage title