Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Do not solder O2 sensor wires!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 08:09 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by eniac
If you know how to properly solder then it's fine to do as long as you solder as far away from the O2 sensor as possible(at least 12" away). If done properly it will not add to the resistance of the wire anymore then a crimp connectoror or a plug, chances are it will have less resistance. I learned to solder when I was 8 years old and have seen way more crimp connections fail then I have seen good solder connections fail....come to think of it, I have never seen a good solder connection fail.
What is your automotive backround? Because it has been mentioned in this thread numerous times that it is unacceptable 1. By the manufacturer and 2. By most manufacturers to solder the wires. Without a doubt in my mind your solder connection has a better chance of failing then a crimp connector that Porsche specifies. And it's not anything your doing it's the fact that the wire becomes brittle at the edges of the solder repair, not to mention as was posted earlier you could block your reference air.

Mark
Old 05-02-2009, 02:07 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

i just put a regular wire connector on the porsche harness and put the correct end on the new O2 sensor and plug it in..
Old 05-03-2009, 06:18 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always soldered these connections and have not experienced any issues to date. Personally I place more faith in the continuity and physical integrity of a soldered (& heat-shrinked) connection than a crimped connection particularly your average "home" crimped connection which may not be performed with a quality tool, correct gauge of wire or an appropriate weather seal.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:01 AM
CurtP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by marky522
Just FYI as to Porsche's Point of view on this, We as technicians are directed on all "High importantnce" Connections such as airbag, ABS etc to crimp using there special crimping tool where the crimp grabs the wire and grabs the insulation for support. Porsche's view is that 1. soldering is too inconsistant from one tech to the other... I have seen somone heat the two ends individaully apply solder stick them together and reheat to flow the solder, I have seen his joints break on occasion. 2. As was said above a change in resistance in the circuit, may not be SO important in the 944 series but in the newer cars this is HUGE.

Mark
Let's be realistic here. Crimp connectors are specified for repair for monetary purposes. Between training technicians how to correctly solder and the time it takes to do a proper solder joint, it is much more cost effective to just use crimp connectors. Any monkey can crimp a connector. And many FSM call for soldering as a primary repair, with a crimp connection as a acceptable alternative.

Crimp connectors have less surface area contact than a soldered joint, are prone to mechanical failure and will deteriorate faster (corrosion, moisture infiltration, etc). Crimp connectors have their place - mostly for termination. I prefer a crimp/solder termination if possible using crimping dies specific for the connector.

However, I would not recommend soldering O2 connectors, but then again - I wouldn't recommend using a O2 that didn't have the proper termination to begin with.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CurtP
Let's be realistic here. Crimp connectors are specified for repair for monetary purposes. Between training technicians how to correctly solder and the time it takes to do a proper solder joint, it is much more cost effective to just use crimp connectors. Any monkey can crimp a connector. And many FSM call for soldering as a primary repair, with a crimp connection as a acceptable alternative.

Crimp connectors have less surface area contact than a soldered joint, are prone to mechanical failure and will deteriorate faster (corrosion, moisture infiltration, etc). Crimp connectors have their place - mostly for termination. I prefer a crimp/solder termination if possible using crimping dies specific for the connector.

However, I would not recommend soldering O2 connectors, but then again - I wouldn't recommend using a O2 that didn't have the proper termination to begin with.
Originally Posted by F18Rep
Nick the insulation below the splice (a pin hole) if you're really worried about a few molecules of reference air. To each his own...;] Bruce
DUH! Thank you!!!

As a 10-year amateur radio operator (working on surface mount electronics and RF antennas/coax/tuners) and user of common sense, I can't believe anyone would advocate a crimp connector over properly applied solder (and, if required, support). Ever try crimp connecting headphone wires? They use a very low energy signal as well ... they must be soldered, and no soldered connection has failed on any of my repairs because I account for stress points when I reassemble (and they receive real-world testing when I go running with them, and that's more stress than a secured O2 sensor wire would ever see).

Those arguing that impedance will be significantly affected by using solder--I'd appreciate seeing your quantitative reasoning. I have a spare O2 sensor and multimeter good to .01 ohm. Perhaps I should hack it up and see ...

Besides, the O2 sensor in a 951 is so inaccurate/imprecise. You watch it on an A/F gauge and it's swinging wildly out of range constantly even when you've got the car at operating temp and a new sensor in place. The best the computer can do is average out the signals and get a general idea of what's going on.
Old 05-06-2009, 05:18 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnKoaWood
Solid wires MUST be soldered this goes for on ships and Aircraft as well... everything from Jet Rangers to U-2 have used solid core wires soldered, not crimped.... Can't tell you how much re-work is performed annually because of the mis-conception...

John, as far as I know, solid wires are verboten on boats and aircraft since they fail due to vibration. I doubt that we'd find solid wires as OEM in a car either.

Regards,
Old 05-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Swagger93
Besides, the O2 sensor in a 951 is so inaccurate/imprecise. You watch it on an A/F gauge and it's swinging wildly out of range constantly even when you've got the car at operating temp and a new sensor in place. The best the computer can do is average out the signals and get a general idea of what's going on.

That is called dithering and the computer is making the AFR swing around 1.0 lamda.
FR Wilk site has a nice explanation: http://the944.com/lambda.htm
Old 05-06-2009, 05:44 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

There is a good post on this forum describing WHY the O2 sensor wires should not be soldered. In summary, the O2 sensor uses the area between the core and the insulation to sample outside air/O2.
Do a search and you'll understand how it all works together.

Of course, you can always fork up the extra $ and get the factory O2 sensor and not have to worry about any of this!
Old 05-06-2009, 06:12 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fast951
There is a good post on this forum describing WHY the O2 sensor wires should not be soldered. In summary, the O2 sensor uses the area between the core and the insulation to sample outside air/O2.
Do a search and you'll understand how it all works together.

Of course, you can always fork up the extra $ and get the factory O2 sensor and not have to worry about any of this!
If you read, my post addressed that issue ...
Old 05-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Swagger93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brian Broderick
That is called dithering and the computer is making the AFR swing around 1.0 lamda.
FR Wilk site has a nice explanation: http://the944.com/lambda.htm
Awesome info. I suppose that is a form of dithering; I never gave enough thought to how the computer got a control for the adjustment function.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:29 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Swagger93
If you read, my post addressed that issue ...
Your post revealed your personal opinion, which does not make it a fact.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:41 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So bubble gum and scotch tape is not an acceptable means and method?

....damn....time to start over.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:47 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CPR
So bubble gum and scotch tape is not an acceptable means and method?

....damn....time to start over.
Just use one or the other
Old 05-06-2009, 08:51 PM
CPR
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BTW...all is good! I have been crazy busy, but it is in Gabe's hands now. Thanks for the quick ship, John.

I'll have a thread about it all very, very soon.

Sorry for the OT guys....
Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 PM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by CPR
BTW...all is good! I have been crazy busy, but it is in Gabe's hands now. Thanks for the quick ship, John.

I'll have a thread about it all very, very soon.

Sorry for the OT guys....
Good deal. Keep me updated.

Quick Reply: Do not solder O2 sensor wires!!!