Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Installiing a 944 Pan Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2016, 02:36 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the surfaces were clean, only used a small amount of sealant in the corner (if any) and you torqued it to spec odds are everything is fine. If you are still concerned post some pictures of the bulging areas.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:02 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave951
If the surfaces were clean, only used a small amount of sealant in the corner (if any) and you torqued it to spec odds are everything is fine. If you are still concerned post some pictures of the bulging areas.
Here are some pics. This is at just 3 ft lbs. I left it overnight at 3 thinking maybe the sealant would harden and stop the gasket from migrating any further.

Name:  065FE16F-2856-489A-BC74-096907F1B803_zps5tmiff7x.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  273.2 KB
Name:  15B3A6DD-4930-4019-8843-E7E7BC27957B_zpskb4wjsru.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  137.3 KB
Old 08-17-2016, 04:12 PM
Dave951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks par for the course to me.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:49 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Dave951
Looks par for the course to me.

Ok, thanks. Here are the pics after 7 ft lbs and it's moved out a bit more but I think I'm just going to accept it as I don't have the 10 hours of torquing needed for this gasket or the patience.

I just was worried because I've read many threads where bulging was the problem and people started over....

Name:  04A9FB69-9575-4F80-B1E3-54865324B740_zpsjua62njq.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  217.9 KB
Name:  77A3587D-558B-46F4-8047-DE670ADFAFCC_zpswwr7uh3j.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  178.4 KB
Old 08-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by superloaf
Here are some pics. This is at just 3 ft lbs. I left it overnight at 3 thinking maybe the sealant would harden and stop the gasket from migrating any further.

I thought I mentioned in my earlier post that the gasket did the same thing to me. It wanted to slip out and hit the flywheel ...
Letting it set overnight with sealant is the way to go...
Also too late now, but I remember using a wood shim between the flywheel and the oil pan gasket ( better to use a plastic wedge .... so it slides out easier after the oil pan sets up )
Regards
Ed
Old 08-17-2016, 05:10 PM
superloaf
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
I thought I mentioned in my earlier post that the gasket did the same thing to me. It wanted to slip out and hit the flywheel ...
Letting it set overnight with sealant is the way to go...
Also too late now, but I remember using a wood shim between the flywheel and the oil pan gasket ( better to use a plastic wedge .... so it slides out easier after the oil pan sets up )
Regards
Ed
Yes, I remember reading your post but I thought you had to redo it to fix that problem?

So your's did this and you left it? With no leaking? I still think this is bad but it may just be the flaw in our gaskets and it can't be stopped. My old gasket appears to have done the same thing and then finally stretching a few of the bolt holes around the metal bolt sleeves in the gasket which then looks like it caused the oil leak. Of course it lasted about 10 years first so maybe I'll just be in there in 2026! Ha, I hope it lasts that long! The car I mean, not just the gasket.

Going to button it up now. Thanks for the help everyone.

Crossover pipe, here I come....
Old 08-17-2016, 07:25 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by superloaf
Yes, I remember reading your post but I thought you had to redo it to fix that problem?

So your's did this and you left it? With no leaking? I still think this is bad but it may just be the flaw in our gaskets and it can't be stopped. My old gasket appears to have done the same thing and then finally stretching a few of the bolt holes around the metal bolt sleeves in the gasket which then looks like it caused the oil leak. Of course it lasted about 10 years first so maybe I'll just be in there in 2026! Ha, I hope it lasts that long! The car I mean, not just the gasket.

Going to button it up now. Thanks for the help everyone.

Crossover pipe, here I come....
Lol no I took it off , got rid of the gray permatex and cleaned it all off
The did it all over again except I used nothing (dry) and put a spacer in the back near the FW to prevent it from moving initially.
It leaked a little very little and the seemed to abate after a year
If I had to do it all over again I would on questionable use the Yamma bond stuff and then not completely torque anything down until the following day
Good luck
Old 08-18-2016, 12:13 AM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is a miracle sealant, even though it is recommended for oil pan gaskets, I am not sure I would use it on our weird gasket, but others have successfully. I like the Yama or Hondabond like Eddie used, which is really Threebond. Have to make sure which type though, there are several.
Attached Images  
Old 08-18-2016, 12:50 AM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
This is a miracle sealant, even though it is recommended for oil pan gaskets, I am not sure I would use it on our weird gasket, but others have successfully. I like the Yama or Hondabond like Eddie used, which is really Threebond. Have to make sure which type though, there are several.
Actually I didnt use Yama or Honda
I wish I did
I have used Holomar and its very cool stuff I just would rather use the Yama etc if I did it again
Old 08-18-2016, 10:56 AM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...Or you could put studs in place of bolts for your oil pan gasket and then it doesn't move at all. Light coat of oil on both sides like MM123 said at the beginning of this thread and you're good to go.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:45 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by ramius665
...Or you could put studs in place of bolts for your oil pan gasket and then it doesn't move at all. Light coat of oil on both sides like MM123 said at the beginning of this thread and you're good to go.
Assuming you thread all bolts in before tightening anything, how do studs prevent it from moving anymore than the bolts? I'm not getting that...?

In the old days Porsche had a big floppy gasket for the oil thermostat housing but eventually updated it to an integrated rigid gasket. Sure would be nice to come up with something similar for the oil pan...
Old 08-18-2016, 11:50 AM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

how about a wider gasket? Couple mm. I don't know without a block and pan in front of me right now if it would touch any moving parts on the inside. People have made head gaskets. No reason you couldn't make an oil pan gasket.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:10 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 533 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by gruhsy
how about a wider gasket? Couple mm. I don't know without a block and pan in front of me right now if it would touch any moving parts on the inside. People have made head gaskets. No reason you couldn't make an oil pan gasket.
I was thinking either something rigid like the oil thermostat housing gasket, or a molded rubber that gripped the block like weather stripping where clearances permit... Head gaskets are flat so a little easier to DIY, but its worth thinking about. For the record, I follow the FSM to the letter, including the most expensive tube of sealant on earth, and have a leak free pan. My was done on a stand with super clean and dry parts, which probably helped, and I also wonder if the weight of the pan helps keep a more uniform pressure around the gasket that way, compared to pressing one little section up at a time when upside down like that.
Old 08-18-2016, 12:26 PM
gruhsy
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

Good point on the engine orientation.

Originally Posted by Tom M'Guinn
I was thinking either something rigid like the oil thermostat housing gasket, or a molded rubber that gripped the block like weather stripping where clearances permit... Head gaskets are flat so a little easier to DIY, but its worth thinking about. For the record, I follow the FSM to the letter, including the most expensive tube of sealant on earth, and have a leak free pan. My was done on a stand with super clean and dry parts, which probably helped, and I also wonder if the weight of the pan helps keep a more uniform pressure around the gasket that way, compared to pressing one little section up at a time when upside down like that.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:18 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

This is making me nervous, I have no clue now how I am going to do my pan. Dry, wet with oil, or sealant. Who knows, all I know is that I do not want to do the job twice.

Super loaf is your pan leaking?

Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply: Installiing a 944 Pan Gasket