Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

4 Degree cam key vs 0 Degree (data log)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013 | 01:13 PM
reno808
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thom
The way I see it is that increasing the breathing ability of an engine (better cam, larger exhaust, better turbine) increases how sensitive it will respond to variations in the tune, which includes timing the cam.
Put differently, increasing cam timing right away by 4° may be too much. I would try several increments until getting it "right".
YUP thats were the adj cam degree wheel comes in
Old 11-18-2013 | 05:02 PM
jmj951
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This isn't quite enough info to cast a vote. Can you log the RPM's over time for your normal driving habits?
Old 11-18-2013 | 08:09 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The way I see it is that increasing the breathing ability of an engine (better cam, larger exhaust, better turbine) increases how sensitive it will respond to variations in the tune, which includes timing the cam.
Put differently, increasing cam timing right away by 4° may be too much. I would try several increments until getting it "right".
If i had an adjustable cam gear then i probably do 1° increments and log. But all i've got is a cam key.

Originally Posted by reno808
I know some CEP cams might already be in the advance pos. So when you put it in the "stock" pos its actually in the advanced. I would check with him. I might be wrong.
I know josh checked with him and said to try it. It's funny how the top end didn't move at all.

Originally Posted by jmj951
This isn't quite enough info to cast a vote. Can you log the RPM's over time for your normal driving habits?
What would you be looking at? TPS position vs torque?
Old 11-19-2013 | 05:17 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulyy
If i had an adjustable cam gear then i probably do 1° increments and log. But all i've got is a cam key.
Sometimes you crack me up with that kind of post.

Are you saying you are not going to invest in an adjustable cam pulley after having gone through the hassle of fitting a GT turbo, welding a full exhaust, investing in an aftermarket cam and a Rogue MAF?
Old 11-19-2013 | 06:03 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sometimes you crack me up with that kind of post.

Are you saying you are not going to invest in an adjustable cam pulley after having gone through the hassle of fitting a GT turbo, welding a full exhaust, investing in an aftermarket cam and a Rogue MAF?
You're right. But i never really thought of playing with the cam timing before josh mentioned i should try the cam key.

Quick Reply: 4 Degree cam key vs 0 Degree (data log)