Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Guys can you tell me if this is about right...

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013 | 11:20 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Guys can you tell me if this is about right...

Shop quote:

14 hrs for replacing oil pan gasket

10 hours for cam cover gasket

6 hrs for power steering hose x 2 replacement.

appreciate it.
Old 11-13-2013 | 11:25 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Don't know about shop hours, but any reason why you can't do the work yourself?
Old 11-13-2013 | 11:26 PM
Ifly951
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil Pan Gasket can be a bit of a PITA without a 3 piece crossmember. 10 hours is a bit high though.

Cam cover gasket is not even that. I think most would agree 4 hours tops. Do it yourself.

Do the power steering yourself. And it's one belt with another in the way. These are fairly easy to do.

Others should chime in to help.
Old 11-13-2013 | 11:36 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Yes, I live in a High Rise and frankly don't have the time or probably the skill set in all honesty. I knew from reading the oil pan was a PITA but was shocked by the cam cover.
Old 11-13-2013 | 11:50 PM
Darwantae951

The only reason I could see the cam tower being high is because it will require retensioning of the belt. I don't know how much time that should be, tho (when talking to a shop)
Old 11-14-2013 | 02:23 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 287 Posts

Those are all high time estimates for someone who knows these cars, but I suppose it depends on the terms. If any of it leaks and they'll make it right on their own time, then those times might not be so bad....
Old 11-14-2013 | 03:23 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oil pan; secure the block with a bridge on top of the topmounts. Remove the crossmember, move all bolts, replace gasket, place all bolts back, place crossmember back.. I would say tops of 5 hours..

For the 8valve head; remove fuelrail, remove airfilter, remove front covers for the camshaftbelt, loosen camshaft belt, remove the belt from the camshaftsprocket. remove top coverbolts from the camshaft housing; remove all bolts from camshaft housing and redo al of the above..

I would say all of this can be done in 12 hours tops, if you're a skilled worker you can do it in a day..
Old 11-14-2013 | 09:12 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am guessing all of these are book hours. I looked into the oil pan gasket once and was quoted 14 hours. Thankfully, it wasn't actually leaking. I think the book hours on an NA 944 oil pan gasket was less (10 hours?). You're looking at about a $3.5k bill... I would get a few quotes from reputable shops.
Old 11-14-2013 | 12:51 PM
Darwantae951

Originally Posted by Dutch944
Oil pan; secure the block with a bridge on top of the topmounts. Remove the crossmember, move all bolts, replace gasket, place all bolts back, place crossmember back.. I would say tops of 5 hours.
Not in your dreams with a factory crossover.
Old 11-14-2013 | 01:09 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

With the 3 piece crossmember, anything with the oil pan goes from a 9 hr+ job to a 2 hr job.
Old 11-14-2013 | 05:21 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by doabarrelroll
With the 3 piece crossmember, anything with the oil pan goes from a 9 hr+ job to a 2 hr job.
I ordered it today. My shop and I have decided on a very thorough plan of making everything as it should be. I knew buying a older car, even one with 60k on the clock could have some pitfalls and fixing leaks is not always someone else's priority. He did the big things but believed cardboard on the deck was suffice.

Thanks for all the advice.
Old 11-15-2013 | 07:52 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

If you plan on keeping the car for a while it might be cheaper to by a 2nd house with a garage out in the country!!

People need to keep in mind that the 'book hours' are based on doing a though job and the clock starts when the car is driven to the lift. I would guess that almost every 944 I see needs an hour of general cleaning before the real work starts. Its bad form to open up an engine if the engine bay is all filled with 25 years of crud....and it its a pan or cam tower gasket job you know its been leaking for a while.

Also keep in mind that this is for 'mechanic speed' work. that includes time to check manuals for procedures, torque specs, ordering parts and such. Race mechanic speed is a lot difference - if time is of the essence I might be able to cut the time in half - but this is based on knowing the procedure by heart, having all the parts and knowing short cuts that don't detract from the quality....and if you want 'race mechanic' work that will be twice the rate of the 'shop mechanic'
Old 11-15-2013 | 08:02 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Shop quote:

appreciate it.
They are trying to rip you off, stay away.

This is one one day job for one skilled mechanic with adequate tools and nothing more. If they need more time, they are incompetent.

6 hours for power steering hoses on 944? wtf 15 ton excavator hydraulic hose failure is replaced and ready in less than two hours and 944 steering takes 6? yea right.
Old 11-15-2013 | 01:38 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

I realized Orange County houses aren't exactly cheap either. There are places down there where you can actually rent garage space that has lifts and such. For like $200/month, you'd save yourself some serious coin.

Or, just hire V2Rocket_aka944 to do it for you.
Old 11-15-2013 | 03:23 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
Shop quote:

appreciate it.
14 hours sounds about right for the oil pan gasket. It should also include new engine mounts. Don't forget that 14 hours includes heating rusty bolts on the exhaust system...you can add a few more if any break. Cleaning is something everyone here is leaving out. Once everything is apart, good mechanics take everything to the parts cleaner, and all the bolts to the wire brush. The sealing surfaces have to be perfect, and this is where you have to take your time, or youll be doing it all over again if it leaks.

5-6 hours tops for the cam cover gasket, and for that quote, that includes replacing all the seals in the cam tower, not just for the mating surface.

6 hours for the power steering hoses? Are they removing the steering rack to get to them?

Many 944 enthusiasts live in fantasy land when it comes to repair prices. Does anyone take into account how much its costs to run a repair shop? How much insurance costs? Or how about having real techs in the shop? Its very easy to have $8000-$10000 in overhead expenses, think about that the next time you think youre getting ripped off because youre not getting parts at cost...

Quick Reply: Guys can you tell me if this is about right...