Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

non-start problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 10:19 PM
snora
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default non-start problem

have an '87 951, mildly modified with Vitesse MAF, billet fuel rail/Aeromotive AFPR/Marrin damper/SS braided fuel lines and small alternator/Nissan Quest swap

about month ago car started dying, once a day perhaps; then got worse, finally not starting and/or barely running then dying such that I had to have it towed home

replaced alternator with new one; same problem

replaced filter thinking it was a fuel delivery issue; twice it started, ran fine for a while; thinking the problem solved, turned off motor, took it off stands--then wouldn't start

here is what I know: fuel pressure gauge on AFPR showed pressure to what I had set it (3 bar) when the car was running; jumped the fuel pump--it runs, pressure gauge shows proper pressure

gauge does not show pressure when engine not running--gauge is on the the AFPR--to my knowledge, it never has, but then again I never bothered to check it when things were running fine

pulled fuel pump to see if check valve is functional--seems to be, but not sure how to properly test other than to put in new one

system modifications don't have that many miles on them, 25k perhaps; not sure about fuel pump

does DME relay give intermittant operation sometimes? have not been able to swap in a different DME relay to test it, don't have a spare

injectors were cleaned before installation, but haven't tested them at this point

I have zero additional ideas at this point and would appreciate some input

thanks

donn
Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 AM
mikeyoman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

you could jumper DME relay socket pin 30 to 87 & 87b for testing.
This will simulate the DME relay BUT be aware the fuel pump will always be running like this, even with ignition off - but it might prove if the DME is the problem or not.
Fuel pump normally only runs when engine is also running, for safety in a crash situation.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:48 PM
Brantley
Addict
Rennlist Member

When cranking, do you see "slight" tach bounce? Like a 1/16th of an inch? If not then the issue could be your speed / reference sensors.

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/ign-02.htm

Have you validated you are getting spark?

Sounds like fuel from your description is okay.
Old 11-11-2013, 01:05 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds like the first thing you should have checked but did not mention, DME relay. I assume you have verified not the DME relay? Does the problem get worse when car is warm? In other starts starts fine in the morning at cold start. Then make a drive somewhere park it for a brief time come back and try to start warm and won't fire? If so, DME relay 95%.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:12 PM
snora
Instructor

Default non start problem appears solved

thanks for the replies

in my search of this website for ideas, I did not run across this apparent solution to my issue--not to say it is not there, only that I had not run across it

what had been nagging at me was the behavior of the stock volt gauge--it was going absolutely zero

perhaps should have indicated that in my original post

anyway, decided to try one of my spare ignition relays--number G2

viola--volt gauge comes alive as does the engine

at any rate, here's an additional idea in cases of non-starting vehicle where the volt gauge is gone dead

thanks again

donn

Quick Reply: non-start problem